The Problem with ESPN showing both NBA Finals & WC Finals

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MiamiAce, Jun 8, 2006.

1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Unfortunately, the problem with showing 2 major sporting events taking place at the same time is that one of them (at the discretion of the network) will systematically be given less promotion.

ESPN/ABC is showing both the NBA Finals and the FIFA World Cup. For the last few days, ESPN has dedicated most of its airtime to promoting and discussing the NBA Finals. Today, June 8th, day of Game 1 of the NBA Finals, ESPN1 has a "countdown clock" on its bottomline ticker for the duration of the whole day until tipoff. This is something brand new they've done for an NBA match. Now I'm not against it at all, but considering that the biggest sporting event on the planet (literally) is about to start tomorrow, you'd logically think more (at the very least) discussion would be given or a "countdown clock" of its own, but apparently not. Basically, I'm at a loss of words to see that ESPN has not generated much discussion about the latest new of the World Cup on their various sports shows (aside from the "racism in the World Cup" rhetoric we heard, which that in itself was irrelevant because that was local club problems).

I already know that ESPN has had a few short commercials promoting the World Cup, I already know ESPN is going to show all the games live (though mostly on ESPN2 during the day), I already know that basketball is more traditional than soccer in this country... so you can spare me those arguements. But the first two things are expected. It's time to go beyond what is expected. Generating daily discussion, the anticipation, in a word - "the hype", is what's needed. Yea, you know, something like what ESPN and ABC have been doing all this week for the NBA Finals. And no, not the same ol' tired discussion that goes anything like "Will Americans support the World Cup team/Can this World Cup be a success/Can soccer get over the hump here". I'm tired of all the baby steps already, it's time for a serious walk on the moon.

I really hope next time around, FIFA pays more attention to other variables when rewarding the World Cup TV rights to American networks other than the money factor. It's the same nonsense every time the World Cup comes around. The Spanish-language network in the U.S that will be showing the World Cup, Univision/Telefutura, is a prime example of what possessing the World Cup TV rights is suppose to look like - hyping the World Cup around the clock with every show segment and every TV host.

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill out.

You know when the World Cup will start and which channels will be showing it (in multiple languages). You're already so knowledgable about this.

Why do you need a countdown clock to feel better? Isn't like 100% HD good enough for you? (OK, so the commentary may suck at times. But that's a seperate topic which has been beaten to death already. And you have the choice of choosing audio multicast in a different language.)

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

All 64 games in high definition. Live. Up from all but eight or so games live four years ago.

Count your blessings.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, it would be nice if FIFA awarded the World Cup broadcasts rights to a network that had such a commitment to soccer that they not only showed all the games live and in HD, but also repeated most of the games on that network's sister networks.

Oh wait...

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On top of that, you've got both ESPN2-HD and ESPN Deportes having daily magazine of the World Cup every day. The one on ESPN2-HD will indeed be in true HD and not upconverted SD.

And there are too many other non-ESPN channels to count, which are going in non-stop overdrive about the World Cup.

Life is good.

6. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And when you add 24 hour coverage on XM radio, this may be the best covered WC ever in the US. Clock or no clock I'm ready for the games to begin!!

7. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    ESPN is basically the Yanks/Sawks network, with a healthy portion of NBA, and some preseason NFL coverage. I couldn't believe how they've promoted the tournament, plus short clips explaining World Cup history on Sportscenter, and even some hype on PTI this week.

Soccer is not ESPN's bread and butter. Complaining that they're not doing more when they've already gone beyond many peoples' expectations is missing the forest for the trees.

8. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Univision has an huge portion of its audience that looks forward to the World Cup and loves the hype--good for advertisers.

ESPN/ABC doesn't have anywhere near the same share of the audience that's interested in the WC. It's comparing apples and oranges.

9. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Easy, because he is insecure. And he has been like that since day 1. Whenever ESPN doesn't show soccer (Champions League) in a quantity to his liking, he whined.

Now when ESPN show all games (World Cup) to his liking, he whine about something else. That he wants soccer to be promoted the same way as in Europe, or he feels that he's following a niche sport...

I bet he won't stop whining unless the whole America follows soccer the same way as it is followed in Europe...

10. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Soccer is not ESPN's bread and butter, but some people wants soccer to be ESPN's bread and butter. How about thsi for coverage?

24 hours of non-stop World Cup coverage, news, highlights, gossips, old hilite films, classic games?

In a nutshell, why should ESPN do the "unexpected" (like a countdown to opening ceremony) merely to try to make MiamiAce happy?

11. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    World Cup Live on ESPN2 right now. I just wish they promoted the World Cup.

12. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Dallas vs Miami was a pretty exciting game...let's just hope Mavs put them away in 4

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    ESPN Hates Soccer.

No, wait, it's ESPN doesn't promote Soccer.

No, wait, it's ESPN can't do 2 things at the same time.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

14. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    ESPN doesn't show enough soccer. I mean, when am I going to see ESPN camped outside a medical clinic like the English do for Rooney? ESPN HATES SOCCER!

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You people who insist on ruining every thread like this by joking around are idiots. Shame on you. It's a legitimate issue. Coverage is better, but we have a long way to go.

At the very least, you should stay out the argument if you don't have anything insightful to say.

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

The first post is ludicrous on its face. It's fretting over a problem that simply doesn't exist.

ESPN's promotional campaign has far exceeded 2002. The Bono ads are ubiquitous on cable, not just on the ESPN networks. They're running nightly shows and have a large amount of talent in Germany to cover the games.

It's coverage that is more than proportional to the amount of interest in the country.

Expecting ESPN to be Univision or Sky is just insanity.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN isn't showing the NBA Finals.

18. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Tonight's game was on ESPN

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Bono ads"? "BONO ADS"???

MAN, I'm getting tired of that sunglass-wearing freak. It's always "Bono this" and "Bono that." For the last time, those aren't "Bono ads," they're "U2 ads"! Y'know, the ENTIRE BAND??? It ain't all about the lead singer, ya know!

Signed,

The Edge

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, while the game was going on, ESPN showed poker, Baseball Tonight, and SportsCenter.

21. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I'm guessing that's news to the guys who were doing the game over on ABC tonight.

22. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    LOL...I watched the game from beginning...must have been set at the right channel all along

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yeah, the thread starter noted that in his initial post. The title could be clearer, but it's a valid point. It would be better for soccer if the series ends in four games so there's less competition.

24. FMF_LFP

FMF_LFP Red Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Piss Peru
    That says it all . You just have to be patient Soccer will gradually intrigue interest here in the future. As time passses by the more interest and hype it will bring. To be honest all the Soccer real fans who love the sport know the WC is here , and the ones wh odont well they are not genuinely soccer fans or people who root for their national team or soccer overall.

25. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Why do we have a long way to go? Do you think this is England? or do you think America should salivate over soccer on every opportunity?

MiamiAce should stop posting these nonsense with absolutely no insight...