The price of Gazza

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MouseyTongue, Jul 27, 2002.

1. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was interesting to hear on the Revs broadcast that if DC is going to pick up Gazza that they will need to make a trade for a discovery slot.

The Revs have one don't they? If so, who do you think we could pick up from DC for the slot? How many other teams have a discovery slot open? That would surely affect how much an open slot is worth. It would seem that a draft pick is the likely offer, but the Revs could use help now, so is there anything in this for them?

Hey, Chacon could be thrown in. You think that could land Pope? (OK, so maybe that's just the Guiness talking)

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think I may have a talk with Mr. Guiness also

Question: Are the Revs the only team with a discovery to bargain with?

If so, Gazza should be worth something good. I'm thinking: ask for Quaranta or Olsen, settle for Convey or the #1 pick. If not, who knows?

I wonder what the league's role in all this is?

3. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: I think I may have a talk with Mr. Guiness also

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!

"settle for Convey"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Crew also have one, and we might be dealing with them. In fact, one of the DC reporters said that the player we're dealing has already been notified - and assuming that he wouldn't then play in a match after being told he was leaving, that means Lazo Alavanja, Ali Curtis or Bryan Namoff.

RS

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we use our Discovery to sign Kante?

If DCU signs him will they need to waive someone?

Where the hell will they come up with Cap room for this bozo unless of course they plan to pay him in Rum?

My opinion is that DCU would be nuts to sign Gazza. He may still have some skill but he's an over the hill alcoholic who is on the skids professionally and is just looking for a small pond so he can still feel like a big fish again. Frankly, I think if MLS signs him he will tank just like all the other "name" players who came here to retire. Hell, Ray Hudson would have been better to sign Ian Bishop when he had the chance.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Re: Re: I think I may have a talk with Mr. Guiness also

I admit I was reaching. Also, I think George is right - we used our discovery pick to sign Kante.

Nevertheless, why should DCU be able to sign Gascoigne anyway? For essentially nothing? Assuming that you are dealing with Crew, why should they not ask for something significant? Don't you need to clear cap space?

There are precedents here. When we got Graziani, for example, it cost us an arm and a leg. You expect Gascoigne for "Lazo Alavanja, Ali Curtis or Bryan Namoff."?

What's in it for MLS to give a high-priced mid-year signing to a team that won't even make the play-offs?

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs never get anyone good because they're stupid. When has ANY trade ever worked out good for us?

I doubt that Gazza, at 35, is worth big bucks and wonder if he has the pace anymore to play in this league. We'll see how it works out but I've been saying for some time, look across the big pond for deals. Gazza's the right age (maybe a little to right), probally has no real value anywhere else or even any other options at this point. But NOooooo, we've always looked for hero's from S. America that nobody else knows about. Hasn't worked too well has it.

I did like the kid from El Salvador. He looked good and if DC wants to give us Convey or that kid, I'm sure that Wolde is available.

7. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
  8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: I think I may have a talk with Mr. Guiness also

1) To my knowledge, we are the only team pursuing Gazza.

2) One of Gazza's main reasons to come here is Hudson. I don't think he'd play anywhere else.

3) DC will clear cap space, though it won't need to be too much right now - pro-rated contract means that we'll need to dump Lassiter and maybe one more.

4) As for asking for something significant, let me put it to you like this: The Crew have NO USE for that pick. They either get nothing with it (those don't carry over season-to-season, I think) or they get something from DC.

This of course is all speculation - I haven't been able to crack the MLS Rules code or get through the minefield to the one existing rule book. ;)

RS

11. lstead

lstead New Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Given that Ray was ignoring that and really pushing for Gazza, he must be even worse than most of us thought. That's nothing but allowing Gazza to leave with a bit of dignity. He must have really been awful.

12. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    We don't have a discovery left. Each team gets 2 per year, ours were used on Semedo and Kante.

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? Did you see this in writing? The reason I'm asking is because I would think that a player that was drafted in the Super Draft, even if he wasn't signed is in a sense "in the system" and therefore isn't a Discovery when he's signed by another team.

14. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree JG.

I believe that Kante was not discovered by the Revs. He was drafted (twice) and either waived or not signed. I believe that discovery status does not apply to him.

15. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ever happened to Gazza, did he sign with DC. ;)

16. Stumpy Kelderman

Oct 12, 2004
    Any particular reason you decided to dig up this 3 and 1/2 year old thread?

17. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I accidently stumbled upon it. No real reason other than remember when.

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Crap, I'm sorry... the milk I was drinking just came shooting out of my nose.

Gazza will out-Guppy Steve Guppy. Maybe they can get Gazza to teach Freddy about professionalism.

What a laugher.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magpie my friend ... this thread is from three years ago ... ;)

20. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I was in a state of shock until I read the date on the first post which is where I started..:eek:

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I think I may have a talk with Mr. Guiness also

Ask for Olsen???

Bit your tounge! If that SOB comes here I will cancel my season tickets!

22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I can't really have written that.

23. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did he go to china? I can't remember. anyone

24. brduvel

brduvel New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The Republik
    From Wikipedia:

"Gascoigne was appointed manager of the recently founded Portuguese team Algarve United in June 2005, but failed to settle at the club, and left to become manager of Conference North team Kettering Town on October 27, 2005. His tenure at Kettering lasted just thirty nine days, and he was dismissed by the club's board on December 5, 2005, along with assistant manager Paul Davis. Later the same day, Gascoigne was arrested over an alleged assault of a journalist outside Hope Street Hotel in Liverpool, but the journalist withdrew his complaint three days later"

25. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Last year he took a coaching job for a lower division team in England..
    He was sacked because of his drinking problem..
    I think now some other team is about to hire him...
    I'll check the news..
    Oh.. I see the post above mine covered a lot of that.. I'll still check..

Here's a story about that possible new job but it appears it is not going to happen:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600...an-in-talks-with-merthyr-board-name_page.html