Post-match: The Post Presidency :: Trump Faces The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Jan 20, 2021.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Exactly.., !

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    How else are ya gonna solve the Indian problem?

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is this good or bad?

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Boris is back? Where is all this going?

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short answer is bad. Very bad.

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad for us, or bad for Trump?

onefineesq, dapip and derek750 repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #5232 xtomx, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    yossarian, roadkit, dapip and 3 others repped this.
  8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    It will be fascinating to watch the GOP’s reaction to a Trump indictment….or multiple indictments.

They are shameless…so it would be incredibly easy for them to jettison trump. Turn on their media machine to reprogram their supporters to the next dear leader. Trump? “Was never a big fan…hardly knew him. I am shocked….shocked…to discover there was illegal activity going on”. Of course….it would have been easy for them to impeach him as well.

I just don’t know whether both sides of the GOP can pull together or whether this fractures the party.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is the whole point of their carefully constructed and cowardly messaging that Trump was the greatest president ever but can't win. Indeed they mostly hope he will somehow go away or die.

dapip, diablodelsol and xtomx repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #5235 xtomx, Feb 15, 2023
    That is precisely what will happen.
    We saw a mini-version of it during the November election.

It will fracture the hardcore MAGAts, but the rest of the party will coalesce around...somebody-
    DeSantis, Pence, Haley, maybe someone like Kasich comes out of his hole (his campaign website is still up taking donations!, although the latest update was June, 2021).

Fox will likely be "ALL DeSantis, ALL the Time," since they openly fellate the "strong man" persona, i.e., would be dictators.

It might also be why Haley took this exact time to announce her run for the Presidency. If/when the 'big guy' goes down, she can say she announced before and "was never really on the Trump train" (despite being Ambassador to the UN).

He will never "go away." I think we have seen that.

Of course, Tr*mp's death would be the best outcome for Republican at this point.
    Note, I am not wishing death upon anyone, but you all know that is what the Republican Party is thinking.

They save face by not having their hero and savior indicted and convicted.
    They get to maintain the delusion that he was there to "Make America Great, Again" and fought for "them."

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I guess my other questions are

1)who will he endorse in exchange for a promise of a pardon?
    2)what kompromat does he have on that person to ensure they follow through?
    3)will he be able to keep his mouth shut about the deal or keep the group of people with knowledge of it small enough to keep it quiet?
    4)how long would merrick garland navel gaze before authorizing a criminal investigation after it inevitably becomes public?
    5) would public knowledge that the gop nominee has entered into a (likely illegal) agreement to pardon trump in exchange for his endorsement have any negative affect on GOP voters going into the 2024 elections?

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That is my take, broadly speaking. I have been writing for a while now that I would bet against Trump winning the GOP nomination. Republicans aren't different from Democrats in wanting to WIN, big time, when the other party has the Presidency. And Trump is damaged goods. When the campaign gets going and there is a clear front runner who is not named Trump, I expect that candidate to attact a stampede of GOP voters who want the Presidency back and who believe that Trump will lose in a general election. It would be the same process that propelled Joe Biden in 2020, where Dems who might have well voted for Bernie, Liz, etc. just say to heck with it, this guy has the best chance of winning, and we MUST expel Trump.

Deadtigers, roadkit, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The main issue is Trump can never give up his grip on the GOP, otherwise the grift is over. All his power, ability to fundraise, national relevance etc is over.

I agree this is what is happening, but the problem is Trump will go to any and all ends to prevent it. This is why he once more refuses to endorse the GOP nominee if it is not him. He'd rather sabotage RDS than allow him to become president.

spejic repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I would agree with all of this if Orange Shit Clown didn't have children who think they are owed the presidency.

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  15. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I guess it's that time for my annual "we got him now" post! :rolleyes:

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have this backwards. Trump can absolutely give up his grip on the GOP. He's the head of a cult now, so if he leaves the GOP a sizable portion of his cult members will follow him and he will continue his grift.

The fact that Trump is the head of a cult is why the GOP can't quit him. If Trump leaves the GOP, his followers go with him and the GOP will lose them as voters.

Deadtigers, luftmensch and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - that is what I mean. He'll never go quietly into the night.

He'll take his cult members home and sabotage RDS.

Dan Pfeiffer has been saying, he doesn't need to run 3rd party - he can just blackmail the GOP with this threat. Even if his cult ends up 'only' being 5-10% it would wreck any GOP campaign

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    As I understand the polling, Hailley jumping in only steals anti-Trump votes from deSantis-- 10 or 11%-- and so gives the nomination to Trump.

Lotsa time yet-- but that's a wisdom from a day when there was much more fluidity in the voters. If it is as fixed as it has been of late "lotsa time" makes little difference.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The theory I heard on the radio this morning is this why Haley is in the race- to take votes from DeSantis and help Trump defeat DeSantis.

Maybe a VP nod for her afterwards? Pretty much ticks every "box" if they are looking for some level of diversity. Female, ethnic minority, has some significant level of experience. She is seen by many as a "moderate" (i.e, not completely insane) Republican.

The test of the theory is to see if Trump comes out hard with the insults, as he has done with just about every single person who has ever dared to do anything that was not pro-him.
    If he does attack viciously, the theory doesn't really hold water.
    If he does not attack viciously, maybe there is something to it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The irony is, she would probably stand a decent chance of winning the presidential election - she just has no chance of winning the primary

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1. Whomever offers one. I find it hard to believe there are many Republicans at this point who would not offer the pardon.
    2. Very little, probably none. He is all bluster and nothing else (unless Russia has something they would be willing to share). By the way, for the past 15+ years, bluster has been enough for him.
    3. No, of course not.
    4. Hopefully, Garland will be ex-AG by then. If Garland is still AG at that point, nothing will get done.
    5. No, of course not. It would ENHANCE the candidate's standing in the eyes of the MAGA crowd and would almost assuredly mean the cult followers would vote for that candidate and not sit out the race if a "normal" Republican does get the nomination.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was just going to edit my post to add that tidbit. Good job.

Frankly, I think if she was Republican nominee, she would stand an excellent chance and could be the favorite against Biden or many Democratic Candidates, in opinion polls, at least.

She would syphon off a couple of percent of Democratic voters. Not enough to win the popular vote (mentioned in her video), but probably enough to flip a few "battleground" states (f*ck you, Electoral College!).

The bigger issue would the wingnut arm of the Republicans turn out to vote for her or would they stay home or vote third party?

If Trump does NOT get the nomination (hopefully, because he is in prison or, waiting, sentencing), and a "regular" Republican does, which wingnut would run under the "American First" or "Liberty" (they do love that word!) Party?

23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As far as I know, and I'm not the most clued-in person, he hasn't came out swinging against her yet. With DeSantis he didn't waste much time.

And I have it in my mind that she consulted with him at some point. I'm sure that's not actual, but it's in the back of my mind somewhere.

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Correct. DeSantis has not indicated he will run, but Tr*mp has been attacking him for a few months.

The was part of the theory I heard on the radio today.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #5250 Dr. Wankler, Feb 15, 2023
    I think it was somebody at Bulwark (was it that Longwell piece you posted?) said that she's the perfect candidate for that part of the population who is all in on MAGA but who doesn't like Donald Trump.

That Venn diagram is going to look a lot like the infinity symbol.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.