Post-match: The Post Presidency :: Trump Faces The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Gross is the word, alright.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think integrity and Bob Roberts go together in any way, shape, or form, you haven’t seen it.

:D:ROFLMAO:

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    All this bullpucky from trump and they way the impotent DOJ is giving him anything he and his lawyers demand.

He is plain Mr Trump. If Mr Scouse tried this on he’d be frog marched in manacles to the nearest prison. WTF is wrong with this court system.

4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why do you hate Jon Lovitz so much?
    (Not that you're wrong)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually cases are assigned to judges within a U.S. district court at random --- commonly called the wheel. You can't, for instance, pick a judge and then file your case.

The Jitty Slitter, Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I guess we’ll see, huh?

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A solid, “It depends”, until very recently a single judge in Waco, TX presided over a quarter of all patent cases in the entire country because he was viewed as being favorable to “patent trolls”.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litig...st-texas-judges-hold-patent-cases-2022-07-26/

That being said, judge shopping is a very real thing. You may not be guaranteed to get the judge you want, but filing in a district where you have a 1 in 3 (or whatever the numbers are) chance if getting a favorable judge is better than filing in a district where you have a 0 in 3 number to get a favorable judge.

soccernutter and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you being a litigator, you know that you simply can't pick a district. You still have to meet jurisdiction and venue requirements. I'm not saying judge shopping never happens but situations like that Waco district aren't common.

The Jitty Slitter and xtomx repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My understanding was that "judge shopping" more referred to finding a way to not take the judge you were supposed to have and taking a spin on the roster?

e.g in a murder trial i am following, the prosecution got sanctioned by the Judge so they managed to withdraw the charges without prejudice. Now potentially they can recharge, with a new judge (whoever gets the assignment), and no sanctions (fresh start) - so the defence may well try to argue that it is "judge shopping?"

I get that Trump didn't pick Cannon, but rather didn't file with the magistrate where he likely should have?

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe someone who has specialized in criminal law can correct me, but I don't know that you'd file specifically with the magistrate in a matter like this. Magistrates can issue search warrants (obviously) as they're specifically tasked with performing duties like that so as to not burden district court judges with such things. But in normal circumstances, an original filing, especially in a quasi-civil proceeding like this wouldn't be filed with a magistrate. You'd file just generally in the district court. In fact, I'm not even sure magistrates can issue injunctions unless appointed by a district court judge to do so in a specific case. But again, I'm willing to be corrected on that.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    OK. Thanks. That would make sense.

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you that it is hard and that there are other considerations (like jurisdiction), just saying that Judge shopping is a very real thing. It just doesn't always work. As an example, this isn't the first time that Trump's lawyers tried to get Cannon. I can't remember the exact lawsuit, but after they got her for this case, some people noted Trump had filed another case in her courthouse, hoping to get her, but the judge roulette gave them a different judge.. They just had better luck this time.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    So, the attorney who signed the document saying that Trump had handed over all the documents, Christina Bobb, has hired her own attorney.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #4414 xtomx, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    She should have done that on day one.
    She is understandably scared for her license and career, which is in very real jeopardy.

dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Making
    Attorneys
    Get
    Attorneys

Welcome to the MAGA world order.

I wish I could make a meme saying now leaving f#$karoundville and entering Findouton

16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    street sign.png

Something like that?

superdave, Mike03, ElNaranja and 3 others repped this.
  17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's the part I find amazing. We all have witnessed that seemingly everyone who gets into his inner circle ends up needing lawyers because they end up in serious trouble.
    The new people come along and seem to think it will be different for them, that they won't get dragged into the mud like everyone before them. Then what happens? They get dragged into the mud like everyone before them and end up needing lawyers.

Why learn from other people's mistakes when you can make the same mistakes yourself!

usscouse, onefineesq and bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    3058739_0.png

Lawyerin' is the only growth industry under Trump.

We probably need a tally of all the taxpayer money wasted investigating this POS even after he slithered out of office. It has to be astronomical.

usscouse, Mike03, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Smurfquake repped this.
  20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He is a crime super spreader. But more than that and not to get into LOTR debates, he is like a mythical object that draws all those craven and hungry for power to him. All these people who you would think have better judgement see him and are drawn in for a taste of power. In the end they are all poorer and needing lawyers.

Dr. Wankler and JohnR repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    We may not be able to get a Green New Deal but we will have a Lawyers New Deal where employment rates are 150%

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump appeals to the Supreme Court on the Mara Lago documents case.

“Former President Donald Trump has asked the Supreme Court to intervene in the dispute over materials the FBI seized from his Mar-a-Lago estate this summer,” CNNreports.

“His emergency request with Supreme Court is the latest example of the former President seeking to involve the justices in investigations that entangle him – at a time when the high court’s legitimacy in politically explosive cases is under intense scrutiny

23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If SCOTUS rules for Trump….this is the ruling that breaks us. Biden and the DOJ will have to ignore it.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If Clarence Thomas doesn't recuse himself, then the court has lost its last little bit of legitimacy anyway.

25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    With Trump's overtly racist tirade against Thomas shortly to follow.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.