The Pickford Richarlison Thread: aka The Injury Thread III

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is. I was surprised that he wasn;t taken off near the end on Sunday. Would have avoided this. he looked motored out in the last 5 mins....

damn shame.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/li...PeeMbSOMw_sglsZActlwysHbEaaQZELCUI-2afFrOAx7g

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Curtis was on the bench – it was clear we will not bring him on, we just had space."

confirms my suspicion - we have "subs" on the bench who are too injured to play. pure window dressing.

Jesus Christ what a situation. :oops::oops:

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I didn't think that's what it meant. Jones was (they said) almost ready but wasn't going to be used - maybe unless absolutely necessary for 5 mins. He's been back training for well over a week.

5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ;)Hope he gets a few minutes today ;)

newterp repped this.
  6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    prescient.

CB-West repped this.
  7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the highlighted bit is what I find irritating. putting a player on the bench indicates to supporters that they are available to play ... wtf is the point of having them there if that's simply not the case?
    especially right now, with so much concern / focus on the revolving-door injuries we've been having.
    imo it'd be better to let a youth player get a feel for the routine, experience the dressing room etc.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/...itely-wont-be-playing-for-liverpool-tomorrow/
    Speaking in his pre-match press conference via Liverpool FC on YouTube, Klopp fielded questions on Naby Keita. Confirming that Keita isn’t yet being considered for game time, the manager also ruled out Oxlade-Chamberlain.

“Yes, It’s too early for him [Keita] tomorrow. We can’t rush it, it’s a tough injury, serious injury and now he’s back in parts of training,” said Klopp. “From Monday onwards, he’ll be involved in full team training. His pre-season starts then. Same with Ox, he was on bench last game but not ready to play, he’s 1 or 2 weeks ahead of Naby.”

As Klopp mentioned, Oxlade-Chamberlain was on the bench for Wednesday night’s win over West Ham. But judging by the German’s comments here, he was never planning to use the £35m man.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp today ...
    Keita:
    "Tomorrow too soon? Yes! We can't rush it, a tough injury. Only in parts of training. Ibou will be in full team training [next week]. It's football pre-season if you like. Ox is 1-2 weeks ahead of Naby. What happens in the summer no-one knows at the moment."
    "What we can do in rehab with tough muscle injuries is everything but team training. Nothing can replace football sessions. Different intensity. So it's football-part of 'pre-season' for him. He can run a marathon but he needs different movements."

Nunez:
    "We will see"

9. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rotating team injuries. It's what we do .:unsure:

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I remember the good old days - seems SO long ago now (weeks!) - when we thought having 5 subs would really be an advantage.

now we are so hard up, our bench consists of a third goalie + a bunch of guys we have no intention of putting on the pitch.

11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't pay much attention to other clubs so I've no idea how Liverpool's injury situation really compares with others but we do seem to suffer more than a normal amount of serious injuries don't we?

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

only MU has more than us (8 vs our 7).

LC also have 7.

but both of them list players I've never heard of ....

edit: MU list includes Ronaldo ffs "suspended" :)

13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #813 Red Bird, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    But it’s the persistently recurring injuries, to key players at that, that worry me.

bayred and SamScouse repped this.
  14. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Long time no see.

Kaide Gordon looks set to remain sidelined until 2023 as the Liverpool winger continues to recover from a pelvic problem. [Echo]

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huge chunk of development time being missed.

this is a growth issue apparently - so we can't even blame our regular injury crisis on it.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's very unfortunate. I would have expected Gordon to be seeing a decent amount of first team playing time this season .

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In training today....
    Nunez
    Konate
    Ramsay
    Keita

...no Thiago

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the words of a very frustrated man .....

"Darwin is good," Klopp said. "He trained normally, yesterday and today, so yes, at this moment he is available. Thiago is still out. Konate is here, ready to play minutes I would say. He could play the first minutes but that doesn’t make too much sense. But minutes, yes. Nothing new yet. Matip is still not ready.

"For ‘clicking’ you need consistency in the line-up as well, and at the moment we cannot do that. Not at all. Could we sort problems, bigger, smaller? It starts with injuries, but then the players who have no injuries have to play too often and the players who come back from injuries have to play too early.

"And they come back and play, and they have another ‘thing’, and the medical department tells you they cannot play more than 20 minutes, they shouldn’t do this, shouldn’t do that, these kinds of things.
    And then you’ve got a Premier League game against a team with a knife in their teeth! That’s tricky.

"That situation is not sorted overnight. Yes players are coming back, but you ask me if Ibou is ready to play. He trained properly yesterday. He was not out long, but he had a muscle thing, so does it make sense to put him straight in for 95 minutes? Same with Naby, he needs to train. Oxlade-Chamberlain, needs to train.

"They are both not in the Champions League squad because everybody told me they would be out for longer, but now they are back, which is good, but not back to play, just to be around and play a few minutes."

Klopp added: "But Curtis Jones is back, a few others are back which is helpful. No complaints, no moans, it’s just the situation. The situation before Nottingham was really strange, that you have to play a player who didn’t play for a long time with Curtis Jones, and he did really well, in a position he never played, because in the night something happens.

"That is difficult, and on top of that a lot of players didn’t play their best football in a game without any real patterns on the pitch, which is rare. Usually you have a few patterns, in this game we didn’t have a lot, against a deep-defending side which is not easy. I’m looking forward to the game tomorrow, I’m really positive, it’s the Champions League, Ajax, big names, big game, all good.

"We have a lot of players here so we will give it a try. We played really well a couple of times, but we didn’t get through those games without problems. We play a good game and then two players are out after it, and another is not available for longer than 20 minutes! Wow. That’s not easy with the squad we have.

"It’s not too small, just too many injuries. Now, we have enough players here, good news for all who are with us, and hopefully tomorrow that is still the case."

soccershaggy and Red Bird repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool have been handed an injury boost after Jurgen Klopp confirmed Thiago Alcantara is available to face Leeds United on Saturday, while he is also hopeful Jordan Henderson will be passed fit after limping off against Ajax.

The Spaniard missed the Reds' loss to Nottingham Forest and victory in Amsterdam with a severe ear infection. Meanwhile, the Liverpool captain was replaced after 71 minutes against the Dutch giants after taking a heavy blow to his knee. But Klopp is hopeful that both players will be involved against Leeds and confirmed that Ibrahima Konate is also available. However, despite returning to full team training last week, Naby Keita is not yet ready to return.

"With Hendo we have to wait a little bit. It's a knock," he explained to reporters. "He was a bit stiff yesterday. Didn't have only treatment yesterday so we'll see how he will be today.

"I expect him to be okay to be honest. Thiago is back. Naby not, not yet. No, Joel [Matip] will not be back. He's here training but rehab. No, you don't have to ask about Diogo [Jota] for a while. Not for Luis [Diaz] for a while either.

"Yes (Ibou is ready). The Ajax game, we didn't have more subs. We could take him with us but he wasn't really ready for this game. In a very serious situation, maybe.

"Now we have to see. He's a step closer definitely. A few days more. He's around now and is now available. How long, we will see but he is available."

He continued: "We have to see who is available for tomorrow and build a team. Line up in maybe a different system again and go from there. Whoever is available, my job is to bring the boys into the best possible position for them. Not to play the system I always played or like the most.

"That's what we are trying at the moment. It's worked out a couple of times now and we have to keep going like this."

Meanwhile, Klopp also confirmed that Arthur Melo will remain with Liverpool for the season despite injury, revealing that there is no break clause in his loan deal from Juventus when admitting that he also remains a long-term absentee.

"Yeah (he is here for the season). He's here," the German said. "It's a long-term injury. When he's back, we'll think about it again. But in the moment it's too far away. I have no idea how long it will be but it will be a long. It's a really long-term injury."

21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Naby Keita has a new injury after picking up a muscular injury and feeling pain while training this week after returning to group training.
    . o_O

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That’s just typical, isn’t it?

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way!! Naby injured? I cannot believe it.

24. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know I know !

Who saw that coming?