The Philadelphia Union Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 21, 2021.

1. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

WheezingUSASupport and Kombucha repped this.
  2. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    This feels a little premature. Paxten is ahead of where Brenden was at the same age, but Brenden had a massive jump as a player in 2020 that isn’t guaranteed to happen for Paxten. I doubt he will compete for Frankfurt right away and hope he gets a loan to a decent side rather than play for the reserves.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    People who know more than me are saying he may be the replacement for their current 10 Kamada who seems to be leaving in the summer. That means 6 months this spring to train with the team, get acclimated, and get any sort of minutes he can to learn.

If that is the plan, it doesn't sound too bad. Of course it's a risk - but all moves are - and this is a much clearer runway for his success than "Just sit behind Gazdag for however long".

Frankfurt is also a well run, successful team that has risen from the ranks of mediocrity in recent years. They seem to have a plan in place and are a good team, so this certainly feels more like Scally and less like Pepi.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Its the same problem that FCD had with young players like Chris Richards, etc. These kids are coveted by Europe, and they want to go. So what are you going to do? Stand in their way? I think we all know Sullivan and McGlynn will follow. Its a matter of when, not if, they go.

Paxten Aaronson isn't a 16 year old prospect. He's 19.

Could he not get playing time right away? Of course. Plenty of examples. For an FCD one.................Justin Che.

Its very difficult for any club to plan any future with the overwhelming majority of these elite kids. They're gone. You cash in and use that money to invest in your squad. Philly has done that well. FCD has done that well for the first time this year.

Its just the nature of the beast. Same thing happens in Argentina, Croatia, etc. etc.

Thundering165 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It’s a gamble either way.

We could’ve been in the same situation in six months where all anyone says is he doesn’t play much for Union because of Gazdag.

Unless they made it clear to him how he’d have a good chance to play a lot more next season, this was a gamble worth taking for him. If you’re between two gambles, take the one with higher upside.

Now that Aaronson’s situation is sorted out, it shouldn’t go overlooked that we need to see role increases for Sullivan and Craig next season. Everything isn’t solved. They got rid of one problem (they caused). There are still three of these players that they need to find time for or find a better place for them to play next season.

bballshawn repped this.
  6. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I thought for sure Gazdag was gone after the final- I can't imagine they'll sell him now unless crazy money comes in (+10m). I'm happy for Paxten, he's a very nice player. I still think Brendan is the better of the two but they aren't competing against each other so there's no reason to compare them (until WC2026 when they are both vying for the #10). Hope he does well but I wish he stayed, and played, in Philly another year. This will be a huge jump in class.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Offensively, he's ahead. Overall, I doubt it.

I hope there's a plan for playing time.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I imagine his family wanted a plan of action before agreeing to the move. The Aaronson Dad is involved in a good way and understands the sport.

Kamada is out of contract in the summer with Frankfurt and has turned down contract extensions. With how lethal Paxten is in front of goal, he'll get a chance.

9. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I heard it described the same; that Kamada is out in the summer, Gotze is 30 and has a injury history, and another attacker is a Dortmund loanee who isn't going to stay.

So based on the Aaronson family generally making good moves, I'd assume Frankfurt has laid out a pretty clear plan for Aaronson starting with integration in the spring.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Aaronson isn’t the only player Frankfurt tried to sign. They almost signed Sullivan in the summer, but Philadelphia wouldn’t sell. I think there’s a chance Sullivan could also be sold this winter. Might end up being Frankfurt or could be somewhere else.

I think as of now McGlynn and Craig are likely to stay. McGlynn has the most immediate role available of the four for next season, while it doesn’t necessarily make sense for a CB to move so early on. The one caveat I’ll add is that Philadelphia Union is strongly linked with a CB (young American player) that might change some plans.

JUnionFan repped this.
  12. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kobi Henry?

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I doubt its in the spring. They'll have a plan, though.
    If things go to plan I expect him to be on a Kevin Paredes timeline.
    He only had a couple of token appearances last season after moving in January. Now he's being incorporated more in his second season.

Frankfurt just made the Round of 16 in the Champions League. They have a ton of money to spend on prime replacements for the veterans you mention.

Interestingly, Frankfurt was one of the Bundesliga clubs that decided to disband their reserve team. THey decided to restart it in 2022. But that meant they started at the bottom in the Hessenliga. So they're in the regional 5th tier of German soccer. Way down there. So hopefully the plan isn't to have him play with Frankfurt II in the spring.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eintracht has been negotiating for Paxten before the CONCACAF Championships.

15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

17. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paxten comes on for McGlynn in the 83rd minute. Extra time ahead.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paxten is behind Brenden. At 18-19, Brenden was a starter for Philly, helping lead them into the playoffs, and making an impact there. Paxten is a bit player.

But if he ends up at the right club in Europe, even if it's in a top 4 league like the BL, he could breakthrough there in short order. Things are sometimes not linear. A half season after Scally was a little used sub for NYCFC he was a starter for BMG.

jaykoz3, Boysinblue and Sup Bro repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard anything about the interest in Sullivan? He didn't even play today. A low-level, older prospect was favored over him. Is this a sign of an impending move? @ussoccer97531 claims Frankfurt wanted Sullivan too this summer. But netting Aaronson may make that landing spot less likely.

20. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Curtin let 9 of 11 starters go the full 129mins. The RB was so gone in the final few minutes that he cost them the title. He had the ball in space, inexplicably flicked it up to himself, volleyed it out for a throw, got beat on the throw for the cross to Bale.

21. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Liked what I saw out of McGlynn: his ability to progress the dang ball translates even against the best team in the league. He even made a couple defensive plays, so he wasn't totally athletically overmatched. Just on sheer on-field production, there's not a better MLS-based u-20 player right now.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

gogorath and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we saw the good and the bad from McGlynn.
    He does get easily muscled off the ball at times. That's something that can be fixed, though. But in offensive areas, he's really quite good.

Frankly, this whole schtick of Curtin using his starters the most of any MLS club...................came to bear in this final. He was reluctant to go to his bench. They were on the precipice of a title so its hard to criticize too much................but you HAVE to have guys on the bench that you can trust to get the job done. He didnt' seem to trust these guys when the moment really mattered.

Speaking as an FCD fan whose team has only ever come up short in the MLS playoffs......................it will always hurt. The "what ifs" will always be there. You remind people that your team won the USOC, SS, reached a semi of a CCL............and it doesn't matter. You have to lift that MLS Cup or there will always be that empty feeling.

THe parity in MLS is such that its extremely difficult to do what Philly has just done. They'll have to do it again as a bunch of these players won't be around next year, and others are aging.

The wheel of future will turn to another.

And yes, that wheel of fortune can turn to a club like LAFC. How many minutes did LAFC give to homegrown academy players this year?

Depends if we're talking about this MLS season. Slonina just had without a shadow of a doubt the best season by a teenage goalkeeper in MLS history. [Hamid, Howard, etc. didn't start full-time until they were 20.] Of course, Slonina is out the door.

THe "experts" agree with you, though. On MLS' 22 under 22 rankings Slonina was 4th. The top teenager. McGlynn was 10th. After them came Cowell, Sullivan, and Vargas. I do wonder how we'd view Vargas if he'd had a full MLS season. Cuz the season started on such a damn high for him.

JUnionFan repped this.
  24. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I'm only just coming back online after going radio silent over the past 18 hours for obvious reasons, but yeah Curtins lack of rotation killed us, and not just based on last night.

Looking back at the last game of the season, up 4-0 against Toronto, putting Bedoya in for the last 30 minutes or so when he was coming back from injury, only for Bedoya to injury it again, and then miss most of the playoffs, is something I'll always look back on as an awful mistake from Curtin.

I understand when you have MVP candidates all over the field you want to ride them as far as you can, but it hurt us. It hurt us a lot.

Mahtzo1, ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  25. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Philly was literally two minutes from winning the title and still had penalties to win it against maybe the best team in MLS history in their stadium. Hard to say Curtin did anything wrong with playing time/rotation. They stayed incredibly healthy, even considering Bedoya's injury.

jaykoz3, JUnionFan and MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.