The perfect Match Day experience...

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by GWGunner, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    The only thing you are heading towards is buying me an extra pint!! I never let disagreements get in the way of tickets, you have yours confirmed that won't change!!

2. Gittle

Gittle New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay! One additional pint, coming right up! I will just have to be mindful of my spending in Dublin (hey, I am a graduate student). ;)

I would not call them "disagreements" as much as they are "missteps." I seem to be making egregious errors regarding proper forum etiquette. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Okay, since I've gone off-topic again, here is the matchday experience query. As I have noted, I will be arriving in London on Friday the 24th (BA 8081 into LGW, Rick :D). My accommodations will either be in a hostel in Chiswick (yes, it's the Globetrotter that many have mentioned; I can get a decent rate for Friday, and I can also tolerate a few "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oy! Oy! Oy!" chants :)) or a "homestay" in Leytonstone. Since the "homestay" will technically have no cost (although I plan to compensate the host), I am leaning in that direction. The question I have is, what is the recommended TfL journey from Leytonstone? Also, how long will it take, and what is the recommended agenda for matchday given this journey?

Once again, I thank all of you for all of your assistance.

3. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take Leytonstone west to Holborn on the Central Line then switch there and take the Picadilly line north to Arsenal. Should take you around 40 mins. I always say just get up as soon as you can and try and get to The Tavern as early as possible, 2 or 3 hours ahead of the match. You can never have enough beer in you. Also you want to be safe and you don't want to miss meeting Rick, like I unfortunately did my first match there. I've also had a few problems with tube delays, on weekends especially, so it's best to leave early and if the tube breaks down or is delayed a lot, get out and take a cab or bus to a closer station.

4. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See if you can get the first pint of cider down before demanding another!:D

5. GWGunner

GWGunner Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow....a lot of good information in this thread. Thanks guys...

Referring to the Bergkamp jersey: I was interested in a vintage jersey of his, do they sell those in the Arsenal store? Or do they only sell the new jerseys? (i.e. only Fly Emirates?? No Dreamcast, O2 etc. old jerseys?)

We're coming from the Holiday Inn in Kensington, so it sounds like the Tube might take up to 45 + mins. We're planning on getting the Arsenal station way too early, having plenty of beer for breakfast, and meeting new friends in the Arsenal Tavern before & after the match.

Perfect!

Cheers....
    GW

6. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    oh Nandos. went to one of those in Harare. wasn't that good

7. Red Agave

Red Agave Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Manchester
    Yeah, the Denny's in Zambia was much better. ;)

8. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Those Denny's burgers were good!! The chips were really good and the meat pie we tried was pretty tasty as well. Was that in Kolomo?

9. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    Monze.
    [​IMG]

10. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    And don't forget the fry-up!

You might be able to buy a Bergy t-shirt or something on the street from a vendor but Arse World of Sport only sells new merchandise (w/current logo, sponsors, etc.). If you want an older Dennis shirt you might want to ask around here to buy a blank one off someone and have the letters put on (I'm still thinking of a getting #10 GOD shirt myself, just to be retro).

11. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I was so tired after that burger I just had to yawn.....................:D

12. arsenlmc58

arsenlmc58 New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    It is impossible to have a bad matchday unless you are playing the likes of West Ham and creating millions of great chances and lose 1 nil!! Sorry, just venting a bit. Other then that, dont be late to meet up with Rick, like i am pretty much every time, and you will be good to go!

13. 4_Arsenal

4_Arsenal New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Quick question about the Tube. We're going to be staying at the Waltham Abbey Marriott. Should we take the Loughton tube to Statford, then take the National Rail to Highbury/Islington. Or just go Loughton to Holborn to Arsenal? Not sure if the National Rail is part of the tube or not. About how long is that going to take early on a Sunday morning? I was thinking about 45 min. Thanks for the help.

14. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    National rail is different from the tube IIRC. It would probably be easiest to just get on the tube. It looks like you could take the Central line to Liverpool Street then transfer to either Hamersmith & City, Circle, or Metropolitan up to Kings Cross, then Picadilly to Arsenal. A real Londoner will give better info though!:eek::)

15. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    The much better way is to take the train into Liverpool Street from Cheshunt and take the tube from there. PLEASE DO NOT THINK YOUR JOURNEY WILL TAKE ANYTHING LIKE 45 MINS!!!!! You are looking at least an hour, much more like 1.5 on a weekend. Please go to www.tfl.gov and there is a journey planner on there that will give the quickest routes. Ignore the journey times though.

16. 4_Arsenal

4_Arsenal New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    tfl.gov is suggesting the central line fom Loughton to Holborn. Then to Arsenal. You think this is right. Max journey time 50 min. Now I know this is now and not on a weekend day and a match day. We are planning on getting to the stadium area very early anyways to hang out see the sights and enjoy some pints anyways. So I'm not worried about missing you(Rick).

17. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Russell Square to Arsenal takes about 15-20 minutes when you include waiting for trains etc. After all the faffing about in the station to change from central to piccadilly it will be more than 50 minutes. I'd say you're looking at that from Loughton to Holborn personally.

18. 4_Arsenal

4_Arsenal New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Other than the match and hanging out around the area there on Sun. I have Friday & Sat. to hang out in London. There are all types of websites with tourista BS on it. But I would trust those that have been, on this board before those. Any must see areas, places, museums, pubs, etc. that I should check out. First time in London.

19. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on the weather, one thing I'd highly recommend is taking a walk along the Thames following the "Queen's Walk". Take the tube to Waterloo and walk towards the London Eye. Then just follow the river all the way down to Tower Bridge. There's tons of stuff to see, or you can just people watch. I crossed at Tower Bridge and made my way up through the city to St. Paul's. It was an awesome way to spend an afternoon.

20. 4_Arsenal

4_Arsenal New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  21. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Come round my house for a beer. THAT'S a sight to behold. :D

22. 4_Arsenal

4_Arsenal New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Charlotte,NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sounds good too! Let me know where to be!

23. Skizz

Skizz Guest

What game(s) are you coming over for?

24. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    Hey guys, just wondering about the logistics of watching a game at the Tavern. I'm completely free tomorrow (a miracle considering this job) and think Ill head up to London early. I'd like to catch the game with some good atmosphere, and thought the Tavern would be just the thing.

How early do I need to get there for a decent view of a screen? Anything to know before I go? (It is a home match, I realize, but I don't know how this affects things)

Thanks.

(oh and questions to come soon enough about the away trip to Anfield...)

25. Skizz

Skizz Guest

We should be there for 10.30, it's fairly busy then but you will still get a good view.