the peace and goodwill thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes05, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #76 Quakes05, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    iron maiden.jpg

As much as I don't like the (former) Oracle Arena for shows, I took my son (now 24) to see Iron Maiden last September (first time for us both), amazing, complete with Supermarine Spitfire overhead on Aces High, to open the show! I became a Metallica fan the day they did their free show at Tower Records parking lot (used to be across the road from from Oakridge Mall) as a promo for the release of Load. Even met Lars that day, 8000 kids showed up, snarled traffic, very rock and roll. :cool:

I too love Van Halen, Roth though not Hagar. First saw them (finally!) in 2007 here and in Oakland, great shows. They came through again I think in 2013, also with DLR, but by then his vocals were terribly shot. They did Bottoms Up though which they apparently hadn't done in ages, so that was fun. I'm going to maybe have to check out Extreme, now that I've got a little extra time to play with, what's a good Nino song to start with?

On the vacation stuff, we have a trip to Anguilla (eastern Carib) all booked for mid-July but if I had to guess I'd say odds are less than 50/50 on that.

but yeah, rock music has been tanking for years, even my own son who I raised on rock and roll, gravitated to hip-hop and rap, bewilderingly. He's slowly come around a little though and enjoys a good rock show now and then.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good for your son. Kids should always reject their parents' musical tastes during their youth. Isn't that the point? :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    yes, agree 100%. Although my parents were Beatles, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, etc., I appreciated that music back then, even more so now. But absolutely, that is the point.

I think the bewildering part was that it was such a radical departure from what we listened to, but it shouldn't be so surprising really.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Van Halen did a passable rendition of Pretty Woman.;) Still prefer the original.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What was your band name

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    And Colin, somewhere I seem to remember hearing you’re a Metallica fan, was that right?

7. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FB952D99-AB2B-4262-A539-C37225164734.jpeg

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    DotMPP, tectonicnight, staudio and 3 others repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Nothing funny about it my friend, I too use a bandana in place of the unavailable facemasks, mine is stars & stripes. :)

SoccerMan94043 and bsman repped this.
  10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    LOVE the t-shirt Colin, one of my favorite bands but I have a skull full of maggots. ;)

ColinMcCarthy and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got booked to a show kinda by accident (friend of a friend's band had to cancel and was looking for a fill in) but we didn't have a name (just three friends screwing around). Our drummer was growing some "things" in his closet and Closet Greenery was born.

markmcf8 and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved both Roth and Hagar (have you listened to Sammie recently... he looks amazing and his pipes are as good as ever at 70+). Saw Iron Maiden too many times (Jim Brewer's act on Iron Maiden being the Wiggles for adults is right). Highlight though was my first concert, Kiss in 1979 (Dynasty), first Van Halen show in 1979 (VH II), Boston in 1986 (Third Stage), Sting solo (Dream of the Blue Turtles) and Metallica pre Black Album practice show at the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma around 92?).

For Nuno, my favorite stuff in the last ~15 years, which not so many people know about:

Drama Gods, S'Ok:

Population 1 E.P., Exit:

Satellite Party Ultra Payloaded (with Perry Farrel), Hardlife Easy (this is also with Flea and John Frusciante):

Extreme Saudades de Rock, Slide:

Quakes05 repped this.
  14. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did you know/heard of "Ragweed"? A buddy of mine played for them. Local metal band.

15. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Where is my hammer? I can't seem to find it . . . .

Beerking repped this.
  16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not familiar... I grew up in the East Bay Area (San Ramon) and only knew of a few working bands.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picture taken this morning in the forested ravine area of our property. No sooner had my wife said, "we rarely see owl in the daytime", that I turned around and spotted two great horned owls on the hillside above us. Here is a shot of one of them.
    [​IMG]

markmcf8, bsman, Beerking and 5 others repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    now that is completely amazing. beautiful pic!

Earthshaker repped this.
  19. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Saw this guy on a ride several weeks ago. Can anyone identify it? Looks like it could be a juvenile. Unfortunately all I had was my iphone to capture it.

upload_2020-4-10_22-6-15.png

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like a red-shouldered hawk. Where did you take the photo at? I have never seen them where I live (east foothills) but, they are fairly common in the Santa Cruz Mtns.

bsman repped this.
  21. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell if that one is a red tailed or shouldered :\ How do you know?

22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the red shoulder.:) We have resident red-tails here, (I have two neighbors with nests) so I see them every single day, almost any time of the day, and so I know what they look like, adult or juveniles (who don't get their "red" tail until after their first molt. I have a redwood tree right nest to my house and they hang out on top of it practically every day.
    Here is a photo of a red-shouldered hawk. The markings are nearly identical to the photo by due time.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a photo of a red tail. There are different varieties or "morphs" but, this looks pretty much like what we have around here.
    [​IMG]

due time and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quite common along the Guadalupe and its tributaries in the South Bay, too.

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is a cellphone pic, but I saw this guy last week walking back from the office by Levi's Stadium (I only went in to check on mail). Sorry for the crappy cellphone quality. This is a peregrine falcon. I often see them along the San Tomas Aquino creek. He was totally unconcerned that I passed directly beneath him/her.

upload_2020-4-11_10-7-52.png

due time repped this.
  25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it... thanks!