The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

And none are English.

2. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    If they revive Hudson-Odoi's career I'll forgive them.

toonarmy44 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Brentford v Burnley James Trafford the only English starter.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Alex Scott and Lewis Cook starting in midfield for Bournemouth today.

wellno and Fireburn47 repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Charlie Taylor.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Opps I must have assumed he was Welsh or something when I looked at the lineups.

7. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Amidst all the talk about Maguire, Phillips and Ramsdale, it has gone largely unnoticed that Grealish seems to be out of favour this season and struggling for minutes as a starter. Pep seems to prefer Doku and in the game against Arsenal went with Foden, Alvarez and Haaland as the 3 in attack. It really is not ideal that the numbers of squad members struggling for football seems to be continuing to tick up.

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I noticed it weeks ago but I think because Pep rotates more people didn’t really notice it until the last part of the season where a first choice line becomes more noticeable. With the cut to 23 it could prove important for his Euro chances if it’s still the situation in the spring.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If they're fit, I think Grealish, Rashford, Foden and Saka are pretty much nailed on to go.

10. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    8 English starters for Newcastle yesterday

4 English goal scorers too

Fireburn47 and horrisengleton repped this.
  11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    All goals and assists came from English players. Trippier is joint first for assists and second for big chances created in the Premier League currently.

toonarmy44 repped this.
  12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Will be interesting to see how many get England call ups next month. Will anyone join Trippier?

13. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    I don't think there will be any apart from Trippier unfortunately. Not whilst Southgate is manager. Some might get a chance in the future like Gordon.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Spurs vs Fulham and Maddison the only English eligible player playing.(Fulham do have three ex English starters through.)

15. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    Wow that isnt great, one English player total between both sides

Fireburn47 repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s very poor figures. No omit arguing elsewhere as the three duals will be used to say the Fulham figure is healthy.

17. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I find it hilarious that certain people genuinely argue that increasing the number of English players in the PL would lead to a drop in quality.

Foreign talent has done wonder PL and the ration should always remain over 50% foreign imports imo, but every week you look at starting XIs across the PL and they're all littered with mediocrity while some of the best English talents have to fight for their lives to be given a fair chance.

There are some seriously uninspiring names in that Fulham side and they're certainly not unique in that.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Unfortunately quotas won’t come until a couple of major senior team failures, Before that nothing will happen the FA won’t fight enough and the momentum won’t be there.

It’s also why only calling up one player from teams starting so many English players such as Newcastle and Everton is a bad thing image wise. It doesn’t establish using lots of English players - leads to English call ups.

19. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Besides the obvious nonsense in that claim given nationality ≠ race and there are already a multitude of races within England alone and thereby our football team most of the PLs online fanbase aren't English and actively don't want the English national team to do well so I don't doubt they'll scrape right to the bottom of the barrel to justify their stances.

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Meaningful quotas won't ever come so you might as well give up on that. If you really think the national team is going to struggle because of all the foreign players in the league then the growth of the Saudi League is your best bet for the future of the England team. The best English players will go to that as the top league and more English players will get a chance in a weakened Premier League.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Even adding in Charlie Taylor, that's a pretty remarkable change at Burnley since Dyche, who was putting out majority-English sides most weeks less than a year and a half ago. Not sure if it matters for the national team (not least because Dyche's players and style aren't what I want to see from England) but it seems like vanishingly little effort has gone into finding good players in the English leagues. They do exist.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, Fulham is an unusual one in that they actually have quite a few players who are English born and raised but have chosen to play for another country. Don't really think there's any reasonable rule that would prevent that from happening.

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    They had five English raised but playing for other countries players in their match day squad plus also Harry Wilson who has an English grandparent.

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Cost. Younger Players from abroad can be a bit cheaper than buying elite talents from the big clubs or the lower leagues.

I do wonder how their fans have adjusted to what has been a somewhat rapid transition.- baring in mind they had five players from the British isles starting on Saturday with English born Irish player Josh Cullen, Irish born Irish player Dara O’Shea and Welsh born Connor Roberts.

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Championship English starters for the most recent midweek round.

Huddersfield Town - 7
    Cardiff City - 5 (0 Welsh)
    Millwall - 5
    Blackburn Rovers - 6
    Norwich City - 4
    Middlesbrough - 7
    Swansea City- 6 (1 Welsh)
    Watford - 3
    Leicester City - 4
    Sunderland - 7
    West Bromwich Albion - 6
    Queens Park Rangers - 4