The Patriot Act ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Northcal19, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
  2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm willing to be a single-issue voter in 2006, and will vote against any candidate who voted for the Patriot Act. I haven't decided if I'll include the first time around in that criteria.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm haunted by the realization that a mega-terrorist attack would completely end the American way of life for at least a generation. I'm willing to make some sacrifices now, even with regards to civil liberties, to reduce the likelihood of such a catastrophe.

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Ask yourself this question.

Do you, and your friends, families, co-workers, associates, feel LESS free because of the Patriot Act?

If the answer is obvious, then the decision to continue it is equally obvious.

5. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hopefully, all Americans will be single-issue voters on the Patriot Act in 2006. Americans favor the Patriot Act by 59-39 percent. But, it won't be the first (or last) time you are in the minority opinion.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes we do-- you don't have to have been hit by the train to notice that its coming... power that exists WILL be used.

7. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    The fact that anyone who calls himself a "conservative" would support the Patriot Act is laughable.

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i would attribute that to a gross lack of education on the issue.

9. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    mmm federalism!

Someone should really make listing of all the ridiculous uses of the USA Patriot in the last 4 years. There was a great one in Missouri (I think) in which they tried to prosecute a meth dealer with chemical weapons possession and use because he refused to participate in a sting. Chemical weapons... yep.

There's another more recent one in which they tried to prosecute a NY street gang as a terrorist org. I'm pretty sure that one got tossed by the judge. Apparently the prosecution neglected to look up the US legal definition of terrorism before persuing their case.

----

As for the actual issue at hand: all the sneak and peak warrants and secret viewing of library records isn't gonna save us if someone really wants to blow some stuff up. Right now our civilian intel still can't find their own with both hands and a flashlight... that's the real issue that we should be worried about. Really though, the amount of liberty I'm willing to sacrifice for a highly debatable increase in safety is small. Provisions of this act are more likely to be used to conduct surveilence on me personally than to protect me personally from any attack.

A counterpoint to be made for the spending extravaganza on homeland security is that it would be much cheaper (vastly, in fact) to work to prevent the conditions from a policy point of view as opposed to reacting to threats we have a large hand in creating. I rarely hear this discussed.

Security; yes, paranoia; no thanks.

10. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Then according to this argument ANY opportunity to exercise power will result in abuse.

The self-deception of the Left continues to reach new depths.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hmm, so do YOU feel less free or more free because of it?

Now I barely know the ins and outs of it, but if you feel more free, why? How can an act, which according to the hideous biased media we are all forced to watch out here, does little more than inhibit freedoms, make you feel more free?

If you feel the same amount of freedom, but others feel less free, then surely you should acknowledge that scrapping it would be an improvement to others and do you no harm, so there's no reason to oppose scrapping it.

If you feel less free, then you should agree that it needs scrapping.

12. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    The act is implying that people should give up freedoms in order to be free! So the terrorists want to install fear and limit freedoms and what do we (American Government) do......

Does the Patriot Act really make it safer for Americans or make a terrorist attack less likely? There were enough opportunities for the different organisations to stop 11thSep, including the memo given to President Bush. I think I read somewhere that the PA was actually made up but shelved some time ago and the 11thSep attack was used as an excuse to push it through the Congress.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It isn't the terrorists that can end the American way of life - it can only be the government. All the terrorists can do is kill people.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Those of us who live in the real world understand what the reaction to a mega-terrorist attack would be.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    WTF? You're missing the other side of the equation.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, any opportunity to exercise power will be used... if you "design" an opportunity that includes range for abuse, abuse will result.

We have been asked over and over if we personally have been abused, with the implied corollary that the Patriot Act must be harmless if we answer in the negative. I am saying that "not yet" does not imply "never will" and in this case doesn't even imply "not likely."

This was sold initially as a short term measure, and when a great many of us predicted that its permanent extension would be asked for before it expired, we were shouted down as hysterics. Well the tranquilizers don't seem to have invalidated the prediction, folks...

17. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I am absolutely convinced the Patriot Act was a necessity at the time of its inception. At that time, we needed something that was rather broad-based to assure that the chance of something slipping through was reduced. I believe it has served that purpose. In fact, there have been a couple of "rumors" flying around in this part of the Central Valley that the Lodi arrests were possible in part because of the implementation of certain parts of the Patriot Act. (BTW, I live less than 50 miles away and am d**n glad those folks are no longer on the street.)

Now that we have had some time to see how it is all working, I would like to see more consideration given to some of the specifics points in the Act as I believe some modifications are appropriate. However, to throw the entire Act out because we are fearful that at some point in the future a point or two COULD be used against us is irresponsible, IMO.

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Then enlighten me.

19. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Yes, who on this board has lost their rights specifically because of the patriot act?

20. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Paranoia can be a good thing. Who cares if someone did something to you or not ehat matters is you think they did. If you act on this nothing bad will happen to you just to the other guy. :)

21. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Yep, no big deal.

22. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    it will kill our economy. WTC 4000 dead caused us to increase the cost of security by Billions and billions of Dollars and mobolize the military even more billions of dollars. We went from a surplus to how much indebit again trillions.

It probably cost the terrorists to do it less then a million.

23. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Probably noone but if anybody did would they know?

KJ

24. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    I still feel perfectly free as I always have.

25. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    If they don't know how much of a problem could it be for us?