The Opioid Epidemic - A.K.A The Crisis of Addiction

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So how is whitelandia doing after Donny Bighands said he was going to address the opioids crisis?

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...ows-er-visits-for-overdoses-are-skyrocketing/

[​IMG]

More dismal news from the front lines of the opioid epidemic: Emergency room visits for opioid overdoses climbed by nearly 30 percent between July of 2016 and September 2017, according to a report published Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nearly 143,000 Americans were brought to the ER for opioid overdoses during the 15-month period.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I thought him winning was going to cure Whitelandia's ills? Well maybe those coal & steel jobs will. :thumbsup:

3. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Failing NY Times reports on the opioid problem of Northern California.

Needle By Needle

dapip repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I will do ANY drug you put in front of me but I will scream like a little girl at the sight of a needle. Thus, I never got the appeal of shooting up.

roby and crazypete13 repped this.
  5. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It comes down to economics. The cheapest way, in the end, is the needle. It's the best bang for the buck.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dyvel, crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The author Barry Meier has been on this beat for over a decade. He just published an update if a book he wrote 15 years ago on this topic, and I'm pretty sure he has a Pulitzer for his reporting.

crazypete13 repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the key themes is that US attorneys wanted to charge 3 Purdue employees with crime but their superiors made them back off. This happened in 2006.

One wonders what would have happened over the last 12 years if people had been charged, just charged. Convicted would obviously have dramatically changed the epidemic.

crazypete13 repped this.
  9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Donny's job is not to be Hillary Clinton. As long as he does that, he'll be fine with his supporters. I don't think many of them expect him to do accomplish much. Playing golf, not being Hillary, and pissing off libtards is the job description. And you know, Donny can do those things.

11. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He doesn't piss me off. I'm thoroughly enjoying his time in office. Watching DT and the sycophants that surround him stumble around in a state of constant panic, fighting enemies, real or imagined, is great crack. That Mike Pence and his religious nutters passing laws and advancing their far-right radical agenda that pisses me off.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purdue Pharma is paying Oklahoma $270M as a lawsuit settlement. It's based on their aggressive marketing of OxyContin.

The opioid crisis is different from tobacco in that for the latter, there were smokers everywhere. Opioids are a crisis in some areas, an afterthought in others. I don't know where Oklahoma fits on that scale. But my guess is if Oklahoma is getting a quarter of a billion dollars, Ohio will get multiples of that. West Virginia is gonna get a bunch of money. Etc.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The federal gvt. has charged Rochester Drug Cooperative for how it has distributed opioids. The company says they made mistakes. Stay tuned.

Since corporations are people under a USSC decision from (I think) the 1880s, I wonder what kind of prison term they will get. Will it compare to what happens to corner boys? Will the conjugal visits involve accountants? Should be interesting.

Dyvel and fatbastard repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The doctors who wrote excessive numbers of border-line prescriptions to people who didn't need them should also get jail time and loss of their medical license.

Dyvel repped this.
  15. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe in the press conference about the doctors busted in Kentucky it was said the doctors would be treated like any other drug dealer.

Dyvel repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Wake me the the distributors and the manufacturers are treated like any other kingpin.

Dyvel, Auriaprottu and fatbastard repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, I find them (in almost every case but not all) more culpable than the doctors.

Plus every time they go after doctors they do it based on bad logic. The people who usually suffer are legit patients having trouble kicking actual pain who get swept up in a numbers/dosing game trying to find the few doctors who only prescribe for no good reason but kick-backs.

dapip repped this.
  18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read that link I posted above.

20. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    stanger and soccernutter repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://reason.com/video/these-people-are-risking-prison-to-help-philadelphias-drug-users/

Addiction advocates in Philadelphia are gearing up for a fight with federal law enforcement over a so-called supervised injection site, where drug use can take place in the presence of medical professionals.

Fatal overdoses from opioids in the United States have increased by about 250 percent since 2007. The problem is particularly acute in a handful of states, including Pennsylvania, which has the nation's third highest overdose death rate.

In the city of Philadelphia, overdose deaths are concentrated in the neighborhood of Kensington, where a supervised injection site known as Safehouse is slated to open.

At Safehouse, drug users will be invited to drop in and inject themselves with drugs like heroin. If they overdose, supervising staff will administer the overdose reversal drug Naloxone, often known by the brand name Narcan. The facility will also provide clean needles and a sanitary environment.​

This really isn't even an experiment anymore. This is pretty much the best way to solve the problems associated with addictions. It has been tried, and it works better than anything else.

Bit of a pleasant surprise to see that former PA governor Ed Rendell is on the board

sitruc, Boloni86, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Judge holds J&J accountable:

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-j...ling-the-opioid-epidemic-in-a-historic-trial/

The state’s argument against Johnson and Johnson was multi-pronged. First, Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter alleged that the company oversold its own opioid products, Nucynta and Duragesic, by targeting high-volume prescribers, paying key opinion leaders, funding pain patient advocacy groups, and generally promoting the idea that opioids were safe and effective for chronic pain. The state also accused the company of quietly dominating the opioid market for years, growing poppies in Tasmania and selling narcotics to leading drug companies, including OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma. According to documents made public during the trial, by 2016, Johnson and Johnson subsidiary Noramco was allegedly the nation’s top supplier of opioids, including oxycodone (found in OxyContin and Percocet), hydrocodone (found in Vicodin), codeine, and morphine. Throughout the trial, Johnson and Johnson denied wrongdoing and said it had been made a “scapegoat.”

soccernutter repped this.
  23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a start, but still just a slap on the wrist that might not stop them from continuing their actions.

J&J had $20.6 Billion in sales in the second quarter. Not profit, but I don't see the fine as being big enough to discourage them.

dapip repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really seems like these regulators don't have a clue about the size of fines. I'm thinking how Facebook got fined $5 bil and that is less than a quarter of their yearly income (profit?).

It seems that this is the other effect of the post Enron dismantling: nobody really has the experience of dealing with fines that large.

dapip repped this.
  25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quarter of your yearly income would be huge, especially for a publicly traded company.

I think the size of the fine may have to do with J&J being a company the indexes and public pension funds are heavily invested in. Can’t hurt them too much [emoji35]