PBP: The ONLY Match that Matters Fire v. Inter Miami CF (MESSI MATCH!) 10.4.23 7:30 p.m Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Oct 2, 2023.

?

Well, we have our FINAL midweek match, so what happens?

1. Fire win

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Fire draw

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Fire lose (despite the stadium being sold out).

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. The Fire FO don't care. "Those aren't Boos! They're "Oohs' for the amazing experience"-Dave Baldwin

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  5. Something STUPID happens!

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  6. Malört

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. Rubber Dick

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  8. Messi takes two shots of Malört and is magically fit for the match. "That shit works wonders!"

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Messi plays and scores a hat trick after his Malört treatment and moves to Chicago next season.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Messi starts, but ends up in a "Cook County taxi" after F Navarro recovers enough to play him.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  11. The Fire play an exciting, up tempo, pressing game. Oh, sorry, that's Miami!

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  12. Messi doesn't play, and about 30,000 bother show up

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  13. Messi doesn't play, and 60,000 show up, but after halftime, the crowd dwindles to 30,000

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. "Who's this Messi dude? We've come to see Brian Gutierrez!" chants the pro-Chicago crowd

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  15. "Who's the Best?" "Messi!" /"Whoooo?" "Messi!" / "Whoooooooooooooooooo?" "Messi!!!!"

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  16. Joe counts his money wondering if he could have a player like Messi EVERY match.

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  17. Heitz is inspired & is on the phone now to FC Barcelona: "Hey got any forwards you don't need?"

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  18. Lewandowski debuts. His contract cancelled by Barca after the call. Joe sends his plane.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  19. I don't care, I will be AT the game, soaking up the full house. Screw the haters!

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  20. I'm glad I sold my tickets last week! Screw the "later day" fans.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
  2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is, and more than they are required to do. Which means people will incessantly complain about it forever.

thetomg, xtomx and bunge repped this.
  3. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based upon injury reports during recent months, Joe should be thinking about building a leg injury medical facility rather than a training facility.

xtomx repped this.
  4. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read that Leonardo Campana will not be on plane to Fire match. He has been starting center forward for InterMiami recently.( I was considering him for my “coulda-been” player for this match.)

overlap_old_coach repped this.
  5. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    He's been very good for them, but that just means we need to face Martinez who is looking better every game.

schroncar repped this.
  6. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    That's good for us, but they have Josef Martinez to fill in...no slouch.

milicz and schroncar repped this.
  7. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
  8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    xtomx repped this.
  9. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    A swing and a miss! No idea who he is and no, it won't be appreciated, most likely mocked. If you do a halftime show the artist should be a household name.

schroncar repped this.
  10. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I just spent the past day getting yelled at on Twitter because I didn't know who he was. Multiple people called him "bigger than the Fire". Lil Durk is a local rapper who is both "up and coming" and "established". Basically, he's got very important connections, has a bunch of really exciting features including guys like Drake, J Cole, and even a posthumous Juice WRLD feature, but his own stuff isn't really seen as exciting as the people he works with (according to the critic that I usually trust when I don't listen to a certain artist). However, as I said, I got yelled at by a bunch of people saying that he is a massive get.

I just wish that they weren't trying to make it a "surprise guest" thing and just have come out and said he would be doing something maybe a month in advance. Cause no matter how much work was put into this, it just looks like the club scrambling to try to put something together cause Messi might not play. And it looks like the Fire fumbling their own bag by not capitalizing on the name that they brought in and instead being like "Maybe a secret guest will show up." The entire idea of the halftime show is just stupid to me because it'll probably either be just enough time for a six minute medley or it'll prolong the game. Either way, it's not worth it.

schroncar and Old Man! repped this.
  11. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Durk is a big deal in a couple of segments on a siloed music landscape. Chicago Drill guy who did two nights at the United Center earlier in the summer.
    If you like Drill this is great, otherwise..."Huh?".
    I'm guessing 20ish% of the crowd, almost 100% of which will be under 30, will think it's cool. The rest, "Meh", at best.

12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Halftime shows aren’t for me regardless of who it is so let the kids have fun.

goldclover, Old Man! and Mac97 repped this.
  13. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    good post

he has billions of streams on Spotify, but probably 75% of posters here wouldn’t be certain if you asked if Lil Durk was a real or made-up name — I know who he is but could not name a song of his

curious about the overlap between Durk fans and game attendees too — 20% feels about right

at least it isn’t Common

schroncar and Old Man! repped this.
  14. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [QUOTE="juicecrewallstar, post: 41750800, member:
    at least it isn’t Common[/QUOTE]

Isn't he Tyrone's buddy?

15. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So it is game day and we have gone from will he or won’t he play (Messi, who is not on the Fire), to how the Fire are treating its guests (that word is used on purpose) due to not playing, to some popular rapper with a niche audience.

Something stupid has already happened. The Fire are still fighting for a playoff spot and there is barely any discussion of the Fire outside of the health of Rafa and Guti.

I’m glad that I will be watching from home.

16. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mac97, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Indeed, it was memorable.

Tonight will NOT be as memorable for anyone in attendance, I suspect.

18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    1997?

Mac97 and Old Man! repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's how memorable it was.[emoji106]

It is so memorable that we remember it months, a year, before it even happened on April 4, 1998, including the 5,000 who didn't attend that night. [emoji57]

Official attendance was 36,000 and change, not 41,000.

Still memorable, even if our aging brains are a bit dizzy on the details.

I broke down the highest attendance for Fire games in another thread.

schroncar and bunge repped this.
  20. I looked up Lil Durk's profile. I'm pissed the team decided to throw in with him. I can't blame him for growing up without a father who was serving 2 non paroleable life sentences. I can blame him for throwing in with the Gangster Disciples, serving seveal tours in the joint, hanging with buddies who got murdered left & right, and getting off on various drug & weapons charges.

Now Durk is over 30 & fathered 6 kids so he's on a "redemption quest". I really wish him the best of luck on that, but I'm pissed that the team couldn't come up with a more upstanding member of the community to showcase at our biggest crowd ever. I hope this comes off without a hitch, but there's a low probability this could become the worst move in the history of a team with a history of bad moves.

Redmaynard, goldclover, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    xtomx repped this.
  22. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    What if the Fire play in red right?

goldclover repped this.
  23. NotHelmut

NotHelmut Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Peoria
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he in Chicago? The team has to be here now for tonight's game. That could help answer some questions

harrylee773 repped this.
  24. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when dinosaurs and indoor soccer ruled(?) the earth, I saw Ray Charles perform following a Chicago Sting indoor match at the Horizon. For the record, he did not see me (but was great!).