News: The Ongoing Takeover Saga

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Apr 17, 2020.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the latest takeover rumors are actually starting to materialize. It's time to get this ball rolling again. Of course it's not done an dusted, so plenty of opportunities for it to all go wrong. Or maybe you can't stand being owned by a presumptive murderer, in which case "going right" would be going wrong.

First, the big news that the deal appears to be agreed: Newcastle Takeover PCP Capital Partners Agree Deal To Buy Club From Mike Ashley

The shutdown has hit Mikey hard. The idea that he wants to sell is more believable than ever, but you could be forgiven for holding on to "I'll believe it when I see it." Then the fact that this group would have no trouble coming up with the cash means that the biggest two obstacles to a deal are easily surmountable. So, what's left? Just the Premier League approving the deal. What better time to get them to look the other way than when they are taking a financial beating like never before? I rate this version of the takeover: Probable

2. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as CAshley is gone the rest is golden

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 el americano, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    I can't believe how close this is getting. People are saying to expect news this week, maybe even tomorrow!

Prospective Owners: PIF (Saudi investment fund), Simon and David Reuben, and PCP Capital Partners
    Prospective Chairman: Yasir Al-Rumayyan
    Possible Director of Football: Pablo Longoria
    Speculative Manager: Mauricio Pochettino? Jorge Jesus?

Player signings? God only knows. Maybe they'll want to improve the core of the team before adding star players, but who knows what opportunities or challenges the virus disruption will bring. It doesn't matter. If we have survived the Ashley era, then there can only be #CANS

EDIT: I'll keep adding to the manager rumors, although I'm leaving off Rafa, since that seems to be inspired by fans rather than new ownership.

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle are safe with 41 points in 13th place (sounds very familiar, doesn't it?) So, maybe we can get this takeover moving? Saudis appear to be giving the PL all the assurances they need. Now just manage the PR so MBS isn't the face of this deal, and we're off the ground.

Is tomorrow too soon to announce this? How about Friday then?

5. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost another month has gone by. With the transfer window open, the prospective owners and seller are both being harmed. I don't know how we would make any signings while in limbo. Ashley's got no reason to risk a big salary that he might end up being responsible for. I wouldn't be surprised by some uninspired loans to patch the squad together and keep us flirting with relegation again.

The EPL is supposed to work with the buyers to help them pass the O&D test, but at this point it can only be that Saudi Arabia has not delivered on piracy enforcement. The league can't wait for the evolution of Saudi Arabia's legal system. I think time has finally run out, and if they are not willing to accept the concessions they've been offered, it will be time to cancel the deal this week.

The Premier League doesn't need the Saudis. They've already got a top 6 that can fill all of the TV slots. They have the best teams now, without Saudi money. It might even be a disruption to upset the established pecking order. Despite whatever gets spent on players, the EPL itself doesn't get richer unless the TV money goes up. Would it? Will people tune in for NUFC in Europe, or will people lose interest, because Arsenal is sitting at home? And what do they lose if Man U doesn't qualify for Champion's League?

No, they don't have to approve the deal. I agree that money talks, but this could be revenue neutral for them. Throw Covid into the mix, and your guess is as good as mine - as good as any of the professional guessers, I think.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    NUFCFakeover is over. Close the thread.

Thx,

Jay!

7. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is. I can't tell if the Premier League doesn't want NUFC to be a top level club, or if they're against the Saudis because of the existing deals with Qatar and because of the piracy. I knew they could sink this deal if they wanted to, but I never expected them to take 4 months to do it.

At least, if it was going to fail, we didn't allow the EPL to block our transfer window. Now we can have that normal stellar transfer window that our club is known for. :rolleyes: