The One Where Ramos Renews and De Gea Arrives - The Final Summer Transfer, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Reivax-

-Reivax- Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hopefully the Ceballos rumours are true :thumbsup:

2. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think a world-class CM is always going to be worth more than a world-class GK, and Kroos is a better CM than De Gea is a GK.

I understand what y'all are arguing here, but even putting aside the problems that have already been pointed out with this line of thinking, letting another club essentially hold its own player for ransom would set terrible precedent.

:eek::eek::eek:

Crimson repped this.
  3. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
  4. RaiseThe10thAncelotti

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  5. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    That's only €62 million.... that would be incredibly easy to resist considering the lack of top strikers in the market.

meringues repped this.
  6. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Completely agreed.

Selling Benzema for that sum at this point in time would be extremely worrying; would almost seem to suggest we are not in good shape financially, no?

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think it would be completely silly to sell Benzema unless we'd have something big lined up, but man, how sweet would it be to get rid of the Benzeminions while they flock to the Arsenal forum?

8. RaiseThe10thAncelotti

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I suppose money is no option to a team like Madrid. But if we were to sell him now would have to be the time to try and find a replacement. Reus, Lewandowski maybe ?

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reus is staying for now, and Lewandowski doesn't look like he's on the market. He's been top notch for Bayern since the season started, better than ever before for them in my opinion.

10. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i have a feeling we will Sell bale in the next 2 days

11. domros07

domros07 Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Maine
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps this means we're triggering Morata's buyback clause? Not very much of a downgrade as far as I'm concerned, pocket 30+ million euros (?)... good bit of business that would be in line with our seemingly newfound philosophy of stockpiling young Spanish talent.

12. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    That would truly make our summer; but I don't think that will happen, unfortunately.

Morata is nowhere near as good as Benzema and it would truly be a steep downgrade. We should only sell if there is another world class striker available.

It would. Especially considering how we've been haggling over De Gea's transfer.

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd kick a chair in panic if we sell Benzema and buy Morata. Not because i don't like Morata (quite the opposite), but because of the weirdness of it all. Plus the guy looks motivated as ever to play for Juve. Not happening.

14. euon

euon Member+

Oct 5, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Daily star comes up with news everyday and they hope to be right atleast once . Big hope .

15. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That would explain Wenger coming out and saying he's happy with Barca and Real, because every now and then a top top player becomes available to help them in their quest for the top 4 finish.

But it would be very silly to sell Benzema a week before the deadline with no proper replacement in place. A back-up striker is the only thing missing from this squad. Selling your only striker would be therefore be very naive.

Digital repped this.
  16. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    There is no buy back clause to activate. It doesn't come into effect until next summer.

17. domros07

domros07 Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Maine
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought the buyback is only for two years

19. white_raid

white_raid Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    It's obviously not unheard of to win having a player of above average quality in the team. However, given our push for La Liga this season and the competition from Barcelona, we will need all the points we can salvage. A fantastic keeper can easily win the league if the point difference is small. Also, our midfield, unlike Barcelona's or Juventus', consists only of attacking midfielders playing deep, and is not exactly lightning fast. A proper shotstopper in our context could mean a lot.

20. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In most cases a world class CM exceeds a world class GK, but in the case of De Gea I see little/no difference in his valuation vs. Kroos. Firstly, he's very young for a GK and that would mean that he would command a very high transfer fee had he been half way into his contract. Secondly, a world class GK is a rare breed at the moment, and the demand/supply ratio will drive up the cost of a top quality GK at the moment.

And it's a bit disingenuous to think that Real Madrid haven't been held to ransom before, there's countless examples I could give you, starting with our dear friend Mr Ramos. It's just the way things run at a club of the size of ours, we're not some mid tier club that will quibble over relatively small amounts.

As I've said before, I think the club will end up signing him at the end of the window.

21. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed. It would be very worrying of our financial situation if we had to sell Benzema at this point in time. All this rhetoric that fans talk about us being on a different status vs. clubs like Arsenal wouldn't be quite right.
    Personally, I don't see it happening. The Daily Express is a gossip hungry horrendous tabloid monger.

22. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Cool so no hard fast rules then, the clamor for a supposedly world class top three keeper isn't a necessity to win trophies, teams win and lose trophies not individuals, completely agree.

23. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    #623 -Fifth CharM-, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Nice spin. I'm going to C/P what I wrote previously: "A teams style and defense often shields a goalkeeper and that is what all of those teams have in common - but once those two fail then it is time for the keeper to step up; and that is what those keepers did. Having a great keeper today means one that will win you vital points in crucial matches. Bravo did it for Barca . Oblak did Atletico. De Gea did it so many times for United that he was their player of the season and the the reason they're in the CL. We did not have a great keeper last season and in crucial matches it cost us."

Can you not remember how Casillas completely let us down versus Barca? And how Bravo kept them in the game? Or Oblak for Atletico. That is what we need; and what Casillas was unable to provide.

24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...that-isnt-what-it-appears-to-be-10264630.html

Official documents from the Serie A champions make it abundantly clear it will only be effective “at the end of the 2015-16 season or at the end of the 2016-17 season,” with no stipulation regarding this summer.

A proper shot stopper, sure. World class? Doesn't have to be. Benitez was brought in to bring a defensive structure, if we're relying on on our keeper to win us points on a consistent basis, then we are in trouble. That doesn't mean a keeper can't win you points when it matters, like when Bravo won them points against us in that Camp Nou game.

It comes to a cost benefit analysis. Is that small marginal difference at best that De Gea would make over Navas worth spending an extra 15 to 20 million Euros above true value?

25. white_raid

white_raid Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    If that marginal difference amounts to, say, 6 points, then perhaps yes, it would. I mean, we paid 30 million for a RB, and several seasons ago for a back-up LB. I'm not saying we should cave in, but if De Gea is seen as a considerable improvement over our keepers, of which one was on the bench the entire season, perhaps it's worthwhile.