The One Where Ramos Renews and De Gea Arrives - The Final Summer Transfer, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    There is no guarantee DDG will be damaged goods if stays though, that is a worse case scenario. Hell, LVG could be gone a quarter of the way through the season or Romero could sustain a longterm injury, etc. the season is long. And if DDG really desires to play here why doesn't he speak up? Because he's afraid of being ostracized by LVG? Well that's already happening so what is there to lose? As for balancing the books, we've been able to do that because we have been offsetting our purchases with sales which we haven't done this summer as of yet and DDG would push well over 100ME with nothing to offset that yet. If we get DDG, someone besides Navas is leaving methinks. I won't cry if DDG comes for *gulp* 30ME+ but with Navas and Casilla he isn't a priority THIS SEASON and we can wait.

2. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Currently, it doesn't look good for DDG and where his head is at from a mental perspective. I don't see him starting ahead of Romero any time soon, the guy's kept three clean sheets in all of the their PL games so far. Barring a unlikely long-term injury or some hideous form, which I wouldn't hedge my bets on, I see Romero starting almost all of their games this season.
    My point around our spending over the last few years is more to do with the fact that it puts us in good stead this year if we want to break the 100m Euro mark. It's not as if we've had problems doing it in the past and taking into account Euro inflation/value, it is far from an exuberant limit for a club of Real's size.
    And to be honest with you, I do see him as a major upgrade on both Navas and Casilla, but I have a feeling that if the both of them are our keepers for this season, perhaps the competition might improve them.

Hsain85 repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Romero isn't that good though and by the time he makes a colossal blunder the heat will be on Van Gaal from inside and outside the club to drop this stupid experiment of his. We've seen it happen before.

4. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's not world class agreed, but he's not awful. LvG will stick it out with him.
    I've watched all of their opening season games and United are not set up to let in many goals this season.

Personally, I think we're going to sign DDG before the transfer window closes. Something will give and we'll meet in the middle with United in terms of fee.

5. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope we pay 13 mil buy out for Ceballos.he will be worth loooot more next year

6. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yet another CM with good technique?

7. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He looks extremely promising....i think we are trying to pull of barca here.get the Spaniards all together..which woulr be nice

Anon. repped this.
  8. white_raid

white_raid Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    If we don't sign De Gea now, I'm not sure we'll want him next year. A season on the bench for a constantly improving player is like getting a serious injury, and sometimes players never recuperate their old form, such as Torres or Falcao. Having a world-class goalkeeper is a must.

9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Not really. Barca won the triple with two decent keepers. Juve reached the final with an aging above average keeper. We won the CL with an aging average to above average keeper. The Rijkaard/Pep Barca won many titles with Valdes being their keeper, as did Sir Alex's Man Utd. with Barthez/Van der Sar who were good to very good, but not world class.

libertao repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Goalkeeping is not about many goals, it's the one stupid mistake that people remember. If he drops one and the team lose a 6 point match against direct competition while De Gea is on the bech, Van Gaal will have to come up with some answers, especially if the team is not gettign the results people demad. Let's not forget just how much money they've spent.

madridista_hr and -Fifth CharM- repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Both Torres and Falcao suffered injuries that had an effect on key attributes of how they play.

Saeta Rubia and -Fifth CharM- repped this.
  12. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Surely one would think that there would be relevant case point examples to such claim, no?

libertao repped this.
  13. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    A teams style and defense often shields a goalkeeper and that is what all of those teams have in common - but once those two fail then it is time for the keeper to step up; and that is what those keepers do. Van der Sar was very much world class, Valdes despite his reputation was a very good goalkeeper, and Buffon despite his age maintained a high level of excellence.

Having a great keeper today means one that will win you vital points in crucial matches. Bravo did it for Barca . Oblak did Atletico. De Gea did it so many times for United that he was their player of the season and the the reason they're in the CL. We did not have a great keeper last season and in crucial matches it cost us.

Anon. and StreetHoopz repped this.
  14. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So was Iker "great" the season before?

15. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009

@-Fifth CharM-
    His control in tight spaces and through balls at the u19 tournie were amazing.

16. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    No, because not all teams that win trophies do so because of a great keeper. Some times teams manage to reach far in cup competitions with an average to decent keeper. Liverpool won the thing with Dudek, AC Milan with Dida, Porto with Baia etc. Casillas was not great. In fact we won the final despite him, because he was no longer Saint Iker. The one that would win us points despite our terrible defense back in the day.

17. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    What position does he play?

18. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    CM.

19. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Yeah, but still nothing special!

:laugh:

20. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Taking into account how stubborn LvG is, I'm not sure if an odd mistake from Romero clears the path for De Gea. On top of that, I'm sure LvG will be reluctant to stick on a 'keeper that hasn't played competitive football for a prolonged period of time and who's head is probably just not in it. Nevermind the fact there is a "mistake risk" attached to DDG too.

Rooney's impotence up front is going to be United's main concern for a while...

21. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    First time I see this kid play and he surely is anything but average, especially for someone who just turned 19.

22. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It seems Alexandre Pato is being offered around in Europe. Such a shame his career got wrecked by injuries. That was a very nice player to see. Hope he gets somewhere, because from what I understood he was quite disappointing in Brazil.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    FYP

24. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    People were foaming at the mouth when we signed Navas, you remember "the best keeper in La Liga" (and maybe the world the way some of you were trying to pimp him) last summer. I don't believe he suffered any longterm damage sitting on the bench last season and that he is at least as good as Bravo. Casilla in his own right is a solid goalkeeper as well (I actually prefer him to Navas). Of course I prefer DDG to both but it's not like the two we have, for one season anyway, are like Victor Valdes circa 2007 or something.

Zidane05 and zohee repped this.
  25. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Read rumours back in the day that he liked to party, but never knew it was that serious. Thanks for correcting me! :thumbsup: