The On-going Never-ending Brexit Story Part Four

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... possibly. It seems a rather odd 'scandal', tbh.

Sturgeon's husband lent the SNP money to support moves towards independence and they might have been spent on other things but then, whether they were or whether they weren't, the most significant 'risk' is that they're spent on something else and then repaid back to Sturgeon's husband?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but, normally, fraud cases involving politicians are loans or other payments TO them or their family... not FROM them.

That's the case with Johnson where various people have loaned him or the tories money and the obvious implication is that they're buying political influence. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Sturgeon's husband probably HAS got influence on her to some extent.

Having said that I think it might be a matter of it being yet another bullshit 'attack' from the press and she's just sick of it, which is fair enough.

But I think the other point is that, bluntly, the high water mark of the SNP might have been a few years back and, perversely, brexit has highlighted many of the issues of breaking up an existing political and economic structure.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's great to hear all the classics again, though, isn't it. Brexit has failed due to 'remoaners' not BELIEVING in it hard enough.

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, so you're saying Pete Haddock hasn't got a shot?

xtomx and American Brummie repped this.
  5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He'd just be a minnow in the contest.

xtomx and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Feargal Sharkey for SNP leader!
    Sure, he's from Northern Ireland, but it's the first (and probably last) time ever to have an Undertones reference!

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I'm still amazed that someone as clearly dense as Truss was able to reach cabinet. That they made her PM is even more mind boggling.

M and superdave repped this.
  8. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Angus Robertson and John Swinney both not standing to replace Sturgeon.
    Open field really now.
    One candidate, Ash Regan, taking a hardline independence stance.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... not sure 'hardline' is an accurate. description. Batshit crazy, maybe. Even the tories didn't try and take us out of the EU without a specific referendum.

If she's saying, as she seems to be, that the SNP will take the next WM or HR election as a direct vote on starting the process of withdrawal from the UK she's pretty much guaranteeing the SNP vote will take a battering in that election.

lanman repped this.
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF. NATO is bigger than just the EU and she isn't technically wrong. An economic union that includes the EU, US, and the Pacific allies would be very formidable.

xtomx repped this.
  11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    It's not souch about the specifics here, more that recognizing that alignment/unions flies in the face of the Brexit she ended up supporting.

rslfanboy, bigredfutbol and Yoshou repped this.
  12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather we have TWO economic NATOs...maybe one could be an international monetary fund.

13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Kate Forbes is giving free lessons in how to destroy your own party leadership bid.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She certainly seems to have a very 'imaginative' take on some of the issues... that's for sure.

15. And next to impossible.

16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hey...I haven't seen anything in the news about this lately. How are the Pork Markets doing? :coffee:

17. upload_2023-2-25_2-15-9.png
    empty shelves and Tesco-supermarket in North-London neighbourhood Islington rationing customers to 2 or 3 pieces each.
    Thérèse Coffey has a remarkable reaction about people moaning too much, because they could eat more of a certain
    rutabaga(?).

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, as FSN says, the pork markets are doing great. The tomato and other veg market, NOT so much.

The Jitty Slitter and rslfanboy repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't it swede?Yeah, let me tell yer, we have got literally DOZENS of swede available in the UK so these moaning minnies can shut their mouths :)

American Brummie repped this.
  20. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Sturgeon was always going to be a tough act to follow, but the candidates to replace her really feel like a dredging of the barrel.

Yousuf feels very "meh". Career politician with very few achievements under his belt.

Forbes is a religious fundamentalist.

Regan is just nuts. Yesterday she was comparing the Scottish independence movement to American and Irish independence.

Both Forbes and Regan have basically told the Greens that the coalition agreement is effectively dead as they will need to abide by their policies.

I can understand Angus Robertson's reasons for not running, but it feels like they need a safe pair of hands for a year or two rather than what's on offer.

21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    What's the over/under on when this all unravels and the ERG/DUP/Johnson start spitting their dummies out?

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Good idea, but I doubt Sunak would dare do this.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw Steve Baker, one of the brexit head-bangers, has given it a green light so we'll see, It's obviously a substantial change to what was happening before.