The Offseason(transactions and free agents)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FreeKicks, Sep 15, 2010.

1. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Thought this would be a good idea to keep a main thread organized because I expect a lot of player movement, i'd like to keep updating this first post with players names so it is easy to see.

The first big loss: Miyama is heading back to Japan :(

2. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Beat fan that makes me cry. She was one of our most productive players. :( We'll miss you, Aya!

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm sure there will be a lot more "big losses". There maybe some that have already happened that have not been announced by the teams yet.

Wait till after the playoffs. I'm willing to bet that there will be a number of foreign players that will not come back as salaries get cut and restructuring continues and players want to go back home.

I'm guessing this will be a somewhat different league next year. Expensive foreign players, especially the non-productive ones may be let go or go on their own, players may play closer to home, etc.
    We may even have our own homegrown players opt to play abroad instead of the WPS. It's a possibility. Who knows.

We'll see.

4. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Oh I expect this too, we've already seen the Abily and Bompastor rumours which will be another two major losses, with internationals who qulaify for the world cup, they'll most likely be the ones leaving. What will be interesting is who comes over for internationals, i've already said this before but teams will be looking at international teams who do not make the world cup. There are some good players out there and I just hope everything works out, I love seeing international players over here.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think international players will always be (knock on wood WPS survives) more transitory. That's not a knock on them or the quality they (usually) bring. I think the key for franchises is to get solid core of American players at the club that are quality players and able to build fan support/following.

That being said, I think there might be quite a bit of domestic player movement this offseason (knock wood that teams survive, etc). We know Abby is a free agent. I surmise that Rampone is a free agent. And that leads me to guess that perhaps multiple "elite" American players had 2 year contracts (perhaps w/ option years).

I'm pretty sure Abily leaving was not a rumor but a firm announcement by OL on their site. iirc, it was Bompastor that was listed as possible/discussions still in progress in the OL announcement.

6. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    BTW, it is official about Abily: she is definitely leaving at the end of the season. I guess WPS has not announced it yet, but it's all over the French press.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I personally do not see a whole lot of the Northern European players in the league next year. We may still see the Brazilians, Spanish, Italians, Canadians, etc.

9. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see a lot of international players deciding to stay closer to home for the 2011 season due to the WWC but possibly returning in 2012.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I also expect a lot of internationals, particularly Europeans, to drop out for 2011, both b/c/o the WWC and b/c/o that new pro league in England that supposed to start up soon. (That is still going to happen, right? I haven't heard anything (admittedly haven't looked) for the past few months)
    And you know what? That's alright by me. Most of the northern European teams have strong/stable enough leagues already, even if they're not completely professional - if WPS helps players from countries where women's leagues/NTs are up-and-coming, like Mexico, Spain, Italy, Nigeria, etc., I think I would like that.

11. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had not really thought about it that way. Interesting observation.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo & Ellertson are listed as being free agents in the Lauletta Lowdown.

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I heard from someone that all of the Athletica players signed just 1 year deals....

Boy, I hope the Breakers can lure Hope to town!!!!:D

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cristiane to Santos for an offseason loan. But will they really bring her back for 2011? And if they do, why?

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't see the word "loan" anywhere. I do see the word "release", which I hope is what really happens.

Cristiane can only play with Marta. She is what Scottie Pippen was to Michael Jordan. The sidekick that helps the superstar achieve her/his greatness and in turn benefits. When given the chance to be the leader or the superstar herself, just like Scottie Pippen, she didn't get far.

The CRS do not need Cristiane's price tag. The money can be better spent elsewhere.

16. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Judging by the article, i'm under the impression this isn't a full release just so she can go play with Santos. I mean I think she's talented but the pricetag is not worth the production however much I like her.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe her contract was to the end of the year or to the end of October or something so they released her early to go play with Santos. I wouldn't doubt this is a final release. I just don't see her coming back to the CRS.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per our helpful French Arsenal fan it seems Chapman is on Arsenal's Champions league roster (scroll down). A loan or more permanent move?

1 person likes this.
  19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shlj notices another WPS player on a UEFA Champions League roster. Koster for AZ Alkmaar.

(I'm linking to these posts here b/c I don't think many regular WPS posters venture into the women's rivalry forum)

20. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Little updated list:

Abily
    Koster(loan or permanent)
    Chapman(loan or permanent)
    Bompastor(??)
    Miyama
    Cristiane
    Yamaguchi(loan)

lol i'm not liking this at all

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you really expect the international players to stay for as long as the American players?

22. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nah I didn't I just like watching the internationals more so than the Americans and I hate when they leave.

23. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    You can't blame them for signing on to European teams to stay in form for the World Cup. If they're not going to be employed by US teams between now and February, they still need to make a living, and if they can get paid for playing soccer, why not? Look at all the WNBA players that go play in Russia in the off-season. A WPS salary won't carry them for a full year. I expect some will come back, some won't. I guess we'll see. But I agree, the internationals add a certain flair that makes it more fun to watch.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how Michelle Enyeart's rehab has gone? I ask b/c I think she bcm a free agent when Boston waived her back in June. She may have loyalty to that team given that they stuck with her for a while of course.

25. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question how much they are paid in Europe. Obviously a few were paid pretty well - Marta and Lotta Schelin. But most others? I think not much. Their leagues are more semi-pro than pro (I think). Most of them still need other jobs. Many leave the game early because of the lack of money. Malin Moström (did I put the ö in the right place?) for example.

WNBA is a bit different. Many of them get paid more to play in Russia than they do in the WNBA. It's just an anomaly. It's not like the leagues in Russia are a financial success; it's just that there are owners with deep pockets there and it's a hobby with them to have a championship team.

I hope we'll see a lot of the internationals back but I'm a little worried that most of them will stay closer to home next year because of the World Cup.