The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1426 saadomar, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Man Utd save even more money, the RM negotiators must be so bad at their jobs. They pay maximum euros for broken/perma-injured players with shoddy work ethics in the final year of their contract, and sell World class players at clearance prices in the same situation. I can see why Florentino is opting to wait for Mbappe.

Excape Goat and Anon. repped this.
  2. RoNeX

RoNeX Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane was at 19 better Then today, i remrmber when He defends vs an inform messi and He was brillant, He was at his peak, through the years He earnd experience, but in the last years He wasnt at his Best, his reactions seems sometimes slower and his concenrration too.
    He is still one of the Best defenders, but i think He doesnt stay toll 35 on top like ramos

3. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man City/Gabriel Jesus broke him mentally. He was never the same again. Good luck to him in the Premier league. Hope he can manage. I mean that sincerely.

4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Ok well, I disagree with your ability to disagree with me. :D

So was Ramos at one time and even he was deemed clumsy and red card prone... well the latter he still is lol.

Mariano was a "better option" at the right price as well and his wages are part of our nightmare.

We can't have any more Jovic's, Hazard's or Mariano's. We need to hit with our next purchases. Hence my reason for patience.

Nothing I have seen from Kounde dissuades me from believing he could be a massive and expensive failure. We need a guy is is a sure thing he won't. As far as bringing in an older CB, they want to be starters and they aren't signing for a season (see Ramos).

We didn't bring Ramos back for a season... so that should should proof enough.

saadomar repped this.
  5. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Well we won't know if we don’t try.

Also Alaba is a better LB offensively

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  6. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We have seen Mendy play CB btw, albeit in a 3-4-3 system so not in the position being discussed. But for what it’s worth he was good in the 3-4-3 so that’s something to consider when talking about his CB abilities.

Realistically though I expect Alaba to start the season at CB alongside Militao.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I expect Marcelo to start at LB as well...

...doesn't make them the right decision though lol.

8. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Good luck Varane.
    Never a fan - always felt people thought he was better than he actually is.

Hendrix22 repped this.
  9. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    The only gripe I had with Varane over the course of his time here, is his little contribution in set pieces. Just feel he didn’t score enough in those moments.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We should get at least another 20 million pounds.

saadomar repped this.
  11. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah

the way Britts over pay for players

this is a steal for them

saadomar repped this.
  12. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Raphaël Varane vs. Real Madrid defenders in LaLiga in 2020/21:

◉ Most clearances
    ◉ Most headed clearances
    ◉ Most recoveries
    ◉ Most aerial duels contested
    ◉ Most aerial duels won
    ◉ Most blocks
    ◉ Most possession won

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are we talking in total or per match?

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    50 mil. Euro for a wantaway defender on his final contract year is ok. Just because we paid 100 for Hazard doesn't mean every player is worth that.

petros93, Shay Z, Açores57 and 3 others repped this.
  15. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    I think we saw his best football, and if he thrives at United, all the same then.
    I think it’s best to move him while we get some value, 50 mil is decent enough for one year left on his contract and granting his wish to go only to MU.

I was never confident with him when not playing with Ramos, and his errors on the big moments cannot be overlooked over the last two seasons. His distribution was not a strength and as he lost a bit of the pace he couldn’t make those runs into the box or carry the ball through the press.

He was a Zidane loyalist for clear reasons, he maybe felt it was his time considering he won everything at Madrid and will get a final good payday for his last contract.

Still love it when he kicked the ball at Simeone and wound him up in the CL final. That’s my favorite memory of the guy.

Bon Voyage Varane, always will be a player to be thought of fondly and all the best in the future. (as long as it does not hurt Madrid)

Shay Z, ImadEdd, MerlinRM and 1 other person repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is not a transfer that makes us better, like selling a player we don't need, but it's a decision that had to be made. The club decided to be proactive about the issue after following the player around for months about an extention.

17. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Total
    How is selling a player who literally did better than other defenders in our squad equivalent to selling a player we don't need?

18. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    One thing that virtually everyone should agree on is that in no shape or form has Real Madrid improved from last season. This transfer, despite it's necessity, merely drives that point home.

19. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If he didn’t have the most then he really sucks.

Ramos didn’t play in 2021 and Militao didn’t play in 2020. He almost played twice their minutes! He played in 31 league games and the nearest competition is Nacho at 24 who didn’t play all games as CB

the truth is what he thought he will be at 28 definitely didn’t happen. He’s a disappointment in the sense that the level he showed at 18/19 you would’ve thought he’ll be challenging for the throne as one of the greatest CBs in the game by 28.

I do however feel he still plays a bit better for France these days compared to Real Madrid. He probably really needs a new challenge

Shay Z, Ahmadi8 and Stiliyan repped this.
  20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you're using "total" numbers you need to consider the fact that he also played more than others, and still finished the season as a second guy in the defense. I am guessing Manchester United also look at him as their second guy next to Maguire, and from what i've been reading that seems to be the case.

I think not every defender has to have a long shelf life. At some point it was time to say goodbye to Pepe as well.

21. Juve37

Juve37 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Apr 21, 2021
    Chiellini is staying at Juve (as confirmed by Agnelli in today's press conference) and will be offered a new contract in the coming weeks.

22. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    LOL now they're saying it's £31 million with £7 million in addons for Varane. I'm surprised they haven't agreed to give him away for free on loan with option to buy like they did with James Rodriguez.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-training-amid-rising-speculation-over-future

Man Utd negotiators are probably bending the RM negotiators over pretty hard. Like I said, they must suck at their jobs! How does it go from £50 million all the way down to £31 million? At this point it's just downright insulting, and better to just walk away. These are the same guys who paid a british record for a defender in Harry Maguire. Yet somehow are getting an elite and massively accomplished player like Varane for pennies. Absolutely outrageous!

Juve37 repped this.
  23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    He had one year remaining on his contract. He could have held off another 5 months and signed for free.

I hate that we're getting such an amount but we had no leverage. Be glad we got something.

In the end be even happier we didn't give him a five-year contract on stupid wages because that would really have harmed us.

Stiliyan and Shay Z repped this.
  24. Juve37

Juve37 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Apr 21, 2021
    It is, you can only hope that theres some high clauses in there based on performances.Maybe you can take comfort that the last player you sold them (Di Maria) turned out to be a flop ;)

I wonder if Varane's Agent had his say on this, saying it's United or he goes for free like Ramos, thus forcing the price further down.

25. Juve37

Juve37 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Apr 21, 2021
    There were limited options i guess so there wasn't going to be any bidding war. I can only think of Chelsea as an alternative destination.