The Official Team GB football team thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Prenn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay genius. Politics not aside, how is Wales any different then Catalonia?

And I see you conveniently dodged my last question, so I'll ask again, what's the "English, Scotish, Welsh, N.Irish world view of the game"?

It seems like you're bringing nothing to this conversation, just semantics. Care to set your game up?

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mate I'm trying to be as tactful as possible. I don't care about your opinions, I don't care about Catalonia, if you want to find out the differences between Catalonia and Wales may I suggest Google?

If your so interseted about our world-view I can summarise it like this: we are far more concerned about a bunch of nobody, know-nothings trying to dictate how the oldest national teams in the world should organise themselves (I'm talking about FIFA of course:)), than how we do on the pitch.

Btw this is a thread for the actual team, rather than the organisation of the FA's, I'd love if it was kept to that.

3. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Wales is to England, as Catalonia is to Spain.

That was exactly my original point. No one in the UK cares if this GB side does well at the Olympic games, in fact mostly everyone would prefer not to medal (especially their FA's), so FIFA doesn't try to dictate how the national teams in the UK organize themselves.

BTW, you can't always get what you want. So I suggest, next time don't engage.

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Huh, how did you get that from my post. Just how! Btw no it's not Wales isn't in England, Catalonia is in Spain.
    K Jagger. That made me howl, that is sig worthy, what a strange comment. Anyway I wish you peace and happiness and a life time of people not engaging you.:) Now toodle-loo off to your galaxy wars.

5. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point is, Wales is as an independent state as much as Catalonia is. I was just asking you because you seem like a know-it-all, but it turns out you just like to avoid adding any meaningful insight.

But, I like how you're a non-mod but you try to dictate and control what is posted in this thread. Again, if you didn't like my opinions or direction in this thread, why quote and respond to my original post?

You can't always get what you want, unless you're a moderator. Now peace-out little buddy, and off to your Harry Potter fantasy.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Really? Why on earth would you look to weaken your squad for the Euros to allow players to compete in the Olympics?

sendorange and Prenn repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non of those players that I mentioned played significant roles on England's Euro squad this year. Micah Richards, Frank Lampard, Adam Johnson, & 0r Gareth Barry all could of been selected and easily rode the bench like those guys did.

In fact Micah Richards should of not only made the team, but should of been the starting RB.

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You seem to think a united GB team is something that is desired, it is not.

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Only Johnson could have been involved, so you don't really have an argument here. Lampard and Barry were injured. Richards refused to be put on standby.

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's been many moons since I've seen a post so full of wrongness.

sendorange repped this.
  11. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know it is not desired. It still a shame. Because that could of been a really fun one off team, never to be united again after.

But I realize it could lead to chaos if the UK were to win the gold as team GB. It would be the most significant international football achievement in almost 50 years in the UK. People would be scratching their heads.

12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ??cus it's a message board??

Anyway onto something of a bit more interest
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/01/london-2012-olympics-gb-football

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm thinking maybe

===============Butland
    Clyne====Caulker========Richards=======Bertrand
    =====Cleverly=====Ramsey=====McEachran
    =====Bellamy=====Sturridge====Giggs

That would be a fairly classy team, nothing special but passable.

14. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Marvin Sordell :ROFLMAO:

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You do realise Olympic football is viewed as Mickey Mouse over here don't you?

16. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Squad:

J Allen (Swansea)
    C Bellamy (Liverpool)
    R Bertrand (Chelsea)
    J Butland (Birmingham)
    S Caulker (Tottenham)
    T Cleverley (Manchester United)
    J Cork (Southampton)
    C Dawson (West Brom)
    R Giggs (Manchester United)
    A Ramsey (Arsenal)
    M Richards (Manchester City)
    D Rose (Tottenham)
    S Sinclair (Swansea)
    M Sordell (Bolton)
    J Steele (Middlesbrough)
    D Sturridge (Chelsea)
    N Taylor (Swansea)
    J Tomkins (West Ham)

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not just 'viewed as' , it IS...

It will be interesting I suppose and I'll definitely be watching but the idea it tells us anything about the state of the game is nonsense.

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why didnt Colback make the squad? He was playing far higher level than McEachran and Cork?

19. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you know your geography? Wales is NOT to England as Catalonia is to Spain. Wales is a country. Catalonia is not. Catolonia is an autonomous community IN SPAIN. While they have their own culture, language, etc. They are a PART of Spain.

Wales is not a part of England. England and Wales are a part of the UK, with Scotland and North Ireland. Your entire analogy is terrible and thanks for speaking for everyone in the UK.

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha that is such a Pearce squad :D

1 right back, 1 dmid and Danny Rose as left wing cover :D

This should finally get him the sack, may not even make it out of the group.

21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even for Pearce that's bad. I'm genuinely flabbergasted that at squad.

22. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FA really didn't want to medal, did they?

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe I'm being a bit dense here but, as it's only an 18 man squad and football, (last time I checked), is played with 11 men, doesn't it meant there HAS to be some positions with only 1 player selected? :confused:

I mean, leaving aside the actual players chosen, (which is another matter), you're bound to be short somewhere.

24. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Plus Tomkins has played RB for West Ham a fair bit.

I'm quite interested to see how this group of players do and will definitely try and catch the games.

Not a fan of Pearce, but fair play for not being pressured into picking Beckham.

And personally, I think playing alongside a player like Giggs in an International tournament will be of benefit to some of the younger players in the squad. Pretty sure this tournament will be more competitive and more enjoyable to watch than most in the UK think.

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not if you pick a few utility players and this squad doesn't do that.

Tomkins has never played rightback to any degree of effectiveness. The only position he's played to any decent degree is CM, and even then Allardyce got slated for playing him there instead of CB.

To take 3 players who are normally leftbacks, two of which only ever play there and 1 of which has only looked decent in that role, and only 1 rightback, is nonsense.