The Official St. Louis Steamers Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by jstats, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    YUP. :cool:

As I mentioned before our new owners admittedly knew little about the beautiful game when they purchased this team, but they did know one thing... MARKETING. They are extremely successful businessmen who know how to make a business work. They've done everything they can to shock people into understanding that the Steamers are different now: naked guys on billboards, a reality tv show, now this female player idea.

I must admit that my initial reaction was positive. The WUSA was a terrific league with poor financial managing and I loved watching the USWNT win gold in the last Olympics. I know all of the players and have my favorites like Cat Reddick, Ally Wagner and Abby Wambac. So with no professional league for these amazing players to play in and make money, my first thought was, hey, maybe they'll play in MISL! Wouldn't it be great to have a member of the National Team play in St. Louis! But then the reality set in... :(

The reality is that this whole situation is a publicity stunt. Plain and simple. (With all due respect to Ms. Kennedy.) And in true Michael and Wally (new owners) fashion, it worked.

They even had Official Team Jersey's at the merch booths before she even played one minute. Yet they DO NOT have leading goal scorer Mike Apple's jersey available... :(
    This point proves to me that this is all for the mighty dollar. As a business owner myself, you've got to hand it to the new owners. They sure know how to play the PR game.

Will that help us win the MISL Championship? My gut says no. Mike Apple scoring goals will help us do that.

My buddy J-Stats thinks that she'll deliver the goods.
    We'll see... ;)

2. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first time i see her score a goal in the heat of an actual game... i will gladly write a fan letter to her saying i was WRONG and that she deserves her spot on the field.. but im telling ya, there are others that this is their living and giving up floor time to any player, let alone a publicity stunt female, is not going to set well.... it just wont happen..

lets see how this pans out... once the steamers are mathimatically eliminated from the playoffs, u wanna bet all of a sudden she starts "impressing" in practices, and has "earned her time on the floor".... i guarntee that if you guys make the playoffs, she will see -0- time...

i mean, for christ sakes... time here in the 40, clock her shot speed with the radar gun see where she matches up with the guys that dont even dress for the game... this assumes that both her and the non dressing players have the same skill level... but these measurements will show how she matches up.. and no offense, the college u 2 go to, went to is no UNC program..

Seriously... marketing joke.. and its making the team and the league look like one...

3. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok first of all I fully admit and never tried to claim that HSSC has anything in common with UNC except for the C at the end of the names. So that's cleared up. Jackson, I don't think anybody is expecting the lads to go easy on her, and I know for a fact that Lindsay don't want that to happen. I don't agree with your opinion on us not making the playoffs, but we shall see about that. But one thing has occured to me the last couple days as the # of posts has increased greatly. For all of you guys who are opposed to this idea calling it just a publicity stunt, well you could be right. However you who have been silent on this thread until now have made it a very sucessful stunt!!!! The Steamers ownership I'm sure will thank you greatly. As I said before if heart is at all an issue LK will do just fine, but I don't know about the other issues. As I said before I'm sensitive to this issue because LK is a very good friend of mine, but if she earns her spot, I think she could suprise people.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    you think a team of professional athletes is going to be happy their ********ing owners signed a woman to play on the same damn team???

these guys are paid to play soccer for a ********ing living... this is a gigantic slap in their face... i'd ask them to tear up my contract

cause there is zero chance she earned her spot on the team... zero, zip, nada, no way, no how... never going to... she is not michelle akers, and michelle akers couldn't earn a spot on the team... akers was by far the best female player ever... tough, nasty and could honestly play the ********ing game better than any female

jstats, you can claim all you want... but if the guys play real... she's toast

all this says is misl is a joke league and not worthy of my time or money... go rot in hell (the league and team)

5. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Here we go. First of all I don't expect many of the players to be happy, and I don't know how I'd react if in the same situation. Yes the players make their living in soccer and should take pride in that fact. However tearing up your contract would only make it easier for her to make the squad and thus would prove rather counter-productive in my opinion. No Lindsay Kennedy is not Michelle Akers, nobody is trying to claim that she is. However, Akers as far as I know never did tryout for a mens team. Kristine Lilly did with the Washington Warthogs but I can't find out if she ever played in a match for them or not (if anybody can help with this information I'd greatly appreciate it). As I said before and maybe I wasn't overly clear, but if heart is the issue (saying other things are equal which they probably aren't) I have no doubt she'll earn her spot. I realize it's an uphill battle for LK. But I'm gonna say it again I'm behind her 100%. I'm that way with my friends. Is it going to be easy??? Heck no. Is this just a stunt??? Quite possibly. Do I realize she might not see a second of game time??? Yes. But that doesn't change my support of my friend. I'm certain none of the players are going to lie down for her. In fact it's kind of insulting to make such a big deal about this issue cause you make it sound like the lads who are pro players are going to go light on her. That's rather ridiculous in my mind, I know I sure as heck wouldn't. Now if this wasn't one of my friends I don't know how I'd feel. I guess it can't hurt anybody to give her a chance. That's really all I'm saying.

6. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having just read this for another time made me think. If FIFA truly wanted to get involved I'm sure they could. All they would have to do is say that if this deal goes through and she plays in a match all MISL players would be part of a "renegade league" and ban all players in said league from international competition. I seem to remember something I read about a different situation that brought a proposed idea down to its knees. If anybody knows what exactly I'm thinking of please feel free to chime in and fill in the blanks.

7. bigpimp22

bigpimp22 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    I am hearing that this Lindsay Chic is piss poor at best. Hearing that I am sure she is doing great in practice. LOL. OK Let's say that she is pretty good for a girl. Then she would of went to a big D1 school and been very successful. SHe did not. She went to KU for one year put up terrible numbers, and then went to horrific Harris Stowe and lit it up. What an accomplishment. This is the most embarassing day in U.S. Soccer, and is an even bigger embarassment to STL. Tell the steamers owners to pack up their circus, and get the hell out of our city. I have no respect for Daryl Doran for not standing up to these clowns. Everyone in the world knows this was done out of pure publicity, I hope it dies out quick and this chic, and the owners come back to planet earth. Even a great girl player makes for an average non-professional men's player. --I'm Out--

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    uh

the misl is a rogue league

fifa has nothing to do with our indoor soccer (the one with walls)

so is the ncaa and most state highschool associations

and don't think it's probably that this was a publicity stunt... it *is* a publicity stunt

damn the browns for giving st. louis a great history in this aspect

9. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all at least your owners are trying to market the team which unlike many lower divsion teams its "build it and they will come". They really should have gave this the spin of "put your money where your mouth is" type of thing if the stories here are true about her I don't need the steamers stuff. Love the Reality show hope it gets picked up.

10. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I rather safely assume they wouldn't put into play the idea that I had. So see, even I had a plan to squash this idea and I am for my friend. Well it's been a week since the announcment was made and I think everybody has just about said their piece. I realize I ain't gonna change any minds here, and that's fine. I'm still hoping LK makes it and you lads probably aren't. It's healthy that we can disagree on these issues and have an open and honest dialogue. And yes by the way our program has been pretty horrific at HSSC to say the least (Thanks to whoever edited it) . In defense of Daryl, he's quite skeptical from his comments, but I think he also realized this isn't worth getting fired over. I agree with Dmain and his comments, I am grateful that our owners weren't willing to settle and are trying to get the people interested. We were so close to losing the team after last season, so I'm just happy we still have a team. And J, great line about the St. Louis Browns, I must give credit where credit is due.
    All that having been said, I think it's time we killed this issue on the board. We could continue to talk about this forever and it wouldn't change a thing. So I shall try to refrain from commenting on this issue again, and well it's up to you guys, but I just don't see the point.
    So this weekend the Steamers have a tough road. After playing the Storm in Chi-town on Friday night the lads travel to Philly for two games Saturday and Sunday. 3 games in 3 nights and two of them against the team tied for first in the league. I think it's a must to win in Chicago and get a split in Philly. Sweeping all 3 games would be great but very difficult.
    Cheers,
    Johnny

11. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Not anymore. They resolved their differences with USSF a couple years back and are members of the Federation now. They use USSF refs and everything. That doesn't mean USSF or FIFA pays them much mind, but they're not rogue anymore.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i don't know then

they wouldn't be to ussf... but what about to fifa???

and if they aren't (rogue) to fifa... wouldn't this prevent them from signing this chick (whom they haven't yet signed)... as fifa isn't about to let this kind of crap denegrate their game

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    you guys are all glossing over the most important question.... is she hot?

14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to the eight or so St. Louis Fanaticos who came to the game last night with banners and who cheered their team loudly all game. MISL needs more fans like you.

15. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    [​IMG]

16. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The fact that she is wearing make-up for her signing picture is pretty funny. When was the last time you say a pro soccer team sign someone with make-up on? haha...

17. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    she hasn't signed yet

18. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    Yeah, the players are not keen and neither was the coach.
    My boy jstats is obviously biased cause he knows her and what not.

And as far as that last comment from jmeissen goes, here in St. Louis we have an MISL team and that's it. I'm sure I previously posted my story of why I support our Steamers, but just to sum up, how are we ever going to get an MLS team if we don't first show support for what we do have?

I'll stand behind our new owners, marketing scams and all. At lest they keep it interesting.

19. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you very much Ratdog!!! We do appreciate it very much and it was fun, except for that old dude (who shows the reason why they don't sell beer at UIC Pavilion (besides it's on a college campus)). It was a solid and fun trip.

We did lose 5-3 on Friday night against the Storm in what was a pretty good match, with the exception of the result. Highlight of the night had to be D.J. Newsom and his breakaway goal!!!!! Yes Newsom on a breakaway and he rocketed it into the upper 90!!!! I was shocked. Ughy for Chi-town is a hell of a player and I must say though that their keeper looks like the guy from the first American Idol :) Nah he's good, and has a good future in this league.

Onto Philly and game 2 of the weekend against the 1st place Philladelphia Kixx. Well for the fans in attendance and the people watching in St. Louis on WB 11 it was a classic. Brooks scores for Phi at 7:59 of the first and Reiniger equalized. D'ambra scores at 11:07 of the 2nd to take a 2-1 lead into the half. Brooks scored in the third after a poor pass from Phillips and that's how it stood after 3 quarters. Doran and Shawn David each score in the first 24 seconds to even up the scores again at 3 all. The teams traded goals twices more with Reiniger and David each getting their second of the match to send the match into OT. In overtime Mariano Bollella scored with the helper from Jeff DiMaria to win the game 6-5!!! Coming back today the Steamers and the KIXX are playing again and at the half the score is 5-2 in favor of the Kixx. With Doran, Caution and Apple being rested today, this is not suprising. This next week the Steamers are at home on Wednesday night at 6:35 and are on the road Friday and Saturday.
    To clarify quickly we have acquired the rights to LK. We technically haven't signed her yet, but if acuqiring the rights means nobody else can sign her it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Neways
    Cheers
    Johnny

20. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    it is great to see the enthusiasm, johnny

keep it up

and i'm still quite irritated by the whole publicity stunt... that needs to die and die fast

21. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks dude. Well, a fight broke out just now, what a huge suprise!!! Now the league will suspend players in a situation that could have been prevented with an ounce of common sense scheduling. I'm not sure what Philly's schedule looks like but youd think we could find a weekend with an open date. In a sport such as this, if you play two games in two days something is gonna happen!!! I know many are iritated by the stunt, but as I said before continuing to talk about it will probably make things worse as you make it more sucessful. I mean ain't nothing I can do or you can do about it. It's happened. I've dealt with the fact people don't like it and I've suffered my friend being attacked. As far as I'm concerned it's happend and I'm willing to go back to life as normal.

22. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    yeah... but it is the news and you have to talk about it

this isn't the first time this has been tried and it won't be the last... a mexican team (second division?) was recently prevented from signing a female by fifa

the st. louis fanaticos should come up to soldier field for the fire opener

23. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was the news. Now it's over a week old story and I don't think much has truly changed. I really shouldn't complain, this thread was dead before this :) I didn't hear about the Mexican team. Who'd they try to sign out of curiousity, one of the Mexican Womens team players??? Not really overly important to this thread. While we are talking about stunts to get people in the seats last night during the telecast they were selling tickets for $1. They sold something like 1700 tickets. Now that's a publicity stunt to merely sell tickets people. And like the others it worked. We just gave up another goal. Also because of SLU basketball (why this??? They suck!!!!) the game will be on 1190 AM instead of 590. Regular radio schedule on the weekend.
    Soldier Field for the season opener. Hmm Who they playing and what's the date. Well I'm outta here for now so I'll catch you laterz yall
    Cheers
    Johnny

24. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    be happy you have them on any radio in st. louis... the fire have no english radio in chicago... they have internet english audio... but nothing on the radio

yes, it was a mexican nat

selling a ticket for a buck is one thing, as it doesn't tear apart the aspect of what you do for a living

will it work? no

people won't pay full price because they know they can get tix for cheap

fire-dallas april 2nd... first leg of the brimstone cup

25. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    1) Yup. Once again, marketing genius owners. We have TV and RADIO!

2) We probably won't make it up to the April 2nd game as we have a Steamers home game that same night. (Thank God for Tivo) But I Guarentee that we'll be up there for several future games as the MISL season comes to a close. (And the Steamers have the Championship!)

Now our group is the St. Louis Fanaticos, and St. Louis is in MO, so maybe they'll want to root for the Wizards? ;)

...Oh hell naw. :cool: