The Official St. Louis Steamers Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by jstats, Nov 12, 2004.

1. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright all you fans of the Steamers (or atleast those Steam Dream Dancer fans) what's up!!!!! As of the writing we are tied for 1st place in our division and play the San Diego Sockers tonight and the Cleveland Force on Sunday evening. Here's a lil scoop for ya. If you have a ticket to a Rams game (it doesn't say it has to be home or away or for what year) you can get in for half price tonight and Sunday!!! So let's pack the place peeps.

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the attendance like in St. Louis?

3. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Greetings yall!!!! I apologize for the delay in the reply but my computer died. Well the St. Louis Steamers stand now at a record of 6-2 after defeating the expansion Chicago Storm 8-7 tonight. Tonights game featured a ten goal first period and wretched goalkeeping on both sides of the ball. Now for the Steamers we were playing our backup cause Brett Phillips is in Taiwan playing in the indooor WC. I will give greater details when I'm not so tired but about the attendance question well..........it ain't that good. We drew 5,000 for opening night but since then the crowd has not been so impressive. Hopefully once we launch the reality show things will improve, but from the way I understand the way the business was worked out, the Steamers aren't paying much in the way of rent because they agreed to let the blues do a lot of the sales and marketing work somehow. so thankfully we don't have to draw that well, but it's disapointing but not a real problem I don't think. I'll write more when I'm more awake.

4. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greetings again St. Louis people on Big Soccer. Currently our beloved St. Louis Steamers have a record of 7-3 and are a half game behind the Milwaukee Wave who defeated the Steamers 6-4 on Friday Night. The crowd Friday was the largest of the season with 5,124 people witnessing the loss. The Steamers had a couple of excellent chances in the third quarter including 2 3 on 1 breakaways but were denied each time.

Sunday saw the return of Brett Phillips to the nets after his stint at the indoor World Cup. Shaun David (acquired from the Dallas Sidekicks in the dispersal draft) scored his first goal in a Steamer uniform, but the game was not a sure thing. The Steamers had a 5-2 lead early in the third quarter and didn't score another goal for 38 minutes and 21 seconds. The Philadelphia Kixx meanwhile came back with 3 goals to send it into overtime. However after 12 minutes of overtime Nate Houser connected with the game winning goal off a rebound of a Sterling Westcott shot. So that's the update from last weekend. Please reply if you've read this and tell me what youi like and don't like.

5. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Is a St. Louis Steamer anything like a Cleveland Steamer?

6. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing like the world's least original soccer joke to grind things to a halt.

There was a rumor brewing about an outdoor exhibition league for a few MISL team incl. St. Louis. Any word? Also, is Jeff DiMaria still playing too.

There was an article in the PD on-line about the next generation Cacciatore (Jeff's son or Steve's son) at SIU-E. There would be nice continuity if he joined the Steamers.

7. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He brought things to a halt????????? I never knew we started things going on this thread so we are doing better than I thought. Anyways DiMaria is on the team and in fact is wearing the captains armband for the Steamers right now. Jeff has 7 goals and 4 helpers so far on the season so he is indeed leading the team very well right now. On the Cleveland issue my High School Captain Brian Soell is on the roster for Cleveland but has been going through a back injury. If you could give me any updates on Brian's status I would greatly appreciate it. I really hope that he will be able to play next Friday the 17th when the Force make their last visit to STL this year.
    Pete Cacciatore (that's his first name ain't it) is playing at SIUE and they took 2nd in the nation in D 2 ball, but I do agree that the young Cacciatore would make a wonderful addition to the Steamers lineup. Well that's all for now, but let's all celebrate tonight (Saturday) because it will mark Coach Doran's 800th indoor pro indoor game!!!!!! Here's to you Daryl!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Johnny-------------------

8. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steamers lost 3-2. Goals from Susi and Newsom and an assist to Kante on D.J.'s goal. That's about all there is even on the website so if anybody in MIL has any news on the match please fill us in.

Cheers
    Johnny

ps Friday Night Steamers at home vs Cleveland at 7:35 PM

9. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.............Cleveland showed up without the hero of Oakville, Brian Soell (well him and Steve Ralston) playing due to a back injury and it truly hurt Cleveland's chances in tonight game. Cleveland got skunked by a score of 9-3. The result of the match was never really in doubt as the Steamers went into the intermission with a lead of 6-nil. After the intermission the Force finally scored a couple of goals, but then suffered a melt-down of sorts with 3 players receiving yellow cards for desent in a span of about 3 minutes. Having a 6th attacker defend a shootout, the new keeper took down Aaron Susi in the box which resulted in a PK which all but settled the match. Tomorow night (saturday) the Steamers travel to Baltimore to take on the Blast!!!! After that the Steamers are off till a Jan 2nd game against the Blast again (go figure eh). Well your next report will come in either tomorow night or on Sunday at some point.

GO STEAMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AIN'T NO STOPPING US NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturday night the Steamers travelled to Baltimore to take on the Blast in their final match before the league shuts down for the holiday season. The Steamers lost 6-5 in overtime, spoling the debut of our new reserve keeper Kellon Baptiste. Baptiste is probably best known for his appearances in the 2 World Cup Qualifying matches for his native Grenada against the United States in June of this year. The Steamers twice came back from 2 goals down, and actually took a 5-4 lead before the Blast equalized on a power play goal by P.J. Wakefield. In the last secondof the overtime period the Blast won on a goal by Allen Eller. It should be noted that Kellon had to come out midway through the 4th with an injury and did not return.
    So as the break is now here for the Steamers they are tied for the 2nd best record in MISL tied with Philly and trailing only Milwaukee. The Kixx can jump ahead because they play tonight at Baltimore. Mike Apple (aka The Big Apple) leads the team in goals with 12 followed by Daryl with 10 goals. Doran is the leading point scoring with 22 points (thanks to 12 assists). He is followed by Sterling Westcott (9 G and 9 A) with 18 points and The Big Apple who has 17 points.
    On the GK front Brett Phillips has a record of 5-4 with a very tidy 3.93 Goals Against Average. Chris Smith (who I assume is gone now from the Steamers as he did not appear on the roster for Friday nights game) had a 3-1 record but had a rather disturbing 6.79 GAA. Kellon as previously stated played in his first match, and will probably have a bit of a tough time adjusting to the indoor game. Personally I greatly enjoy this signing that the Steamers made because I was quite impressed with Baptiste in the WC Qualfiers, and once he learns the indoor game he could be very good. Another key factor in this signing is that Baptiste is only 31, which means he still has a few good years in him. Well to my loyal reader (if there is more than one of you please let me know ;) ) have a very happy holiday season and I'll catch you when I get back from Estes Park, Colorado (which will hopefully be in time for the game January 2nd at 6:05 PM (note the time change from the original schedule). If any news appears involving the Steamers I will update this week, but I'm not expecting much to come out. If any out there has any conspiracy theories, strategies you wish to share, comments, questions, or anything else please feel free to post.
    Cheers
    Johnny

11. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    Hey Johnny and any other St. Louis Big Soccer members! :cool:

I've been having much more fun at the games ever since joining the supporters club in section 119. "Fanaticos" as we're called, is a great bunch of guys and gals who love to stand and sing and cheer for the entire game. As I learned, it is extreemly easy to join the group. Buy your ticket for section 119, wear team colors, show up and be loud. Simple. I did just that a few months ago and it's amazing how much more fun the games are. Nothing against the "moms and tots," but sitting among them makes me feel like going to a day care instead of a sporting event.

We have a website now:
    http://www.stlfanaticos.com/

Our group is growing everyday! We would love to have all of you with us as well, so please, come and join us! Help us fill the entire side of Savis with singing, cheering, screaming FANATICOS!
    See you Sunday... :D

12. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello gang!!!!! Johnny Stats is back from Colorado and feeling quite refreshed!!! The Steamers won on Sunday night by a score of 6-3 with two goals from Mike "The Big" Apple. Mike also added an assist and is having a stellar year. Sunday featured the return of Joe Reiniger. We also learned over the break that Nino was released from the Steamers as well as some really bad news. The teams from San Diego and Monterrey are gone and a dispersal draft will be held. To keep this short we have the third pick in the draft and here's the information http://www.stlsteamers.com/news/index.php?cat=19&id=255

In regards to Justin's message I first want to say thank you for the offer and I shall indeed take you up on it. I have taken notice of you guys and I am very glad for the team to have a loyal group of supporters in the "Fanaticos". I shall join you at the next match!!! The website mentioned by the link in your post is quite well done and I'm excited to say the least. Well please stay in touch and add any thoughts you or anybody else out there has.

Cheers
    Johnny

13. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    Hey Johnny and Steamer Fans! :)

FANATICOS SECTION HAS BEEN MOVED!

Apparently the fine folks at Savis didn't like us jumping up and down on the tunnel. :rolleyes:

So we moved over to section 120.

Please join us there on Sunday (1/9) to help get our Steamers to first place and ulitimatly the MISL Championship! We are also going to follow the Steamers on the road to Chicago on Jan 28th, so clear your schedule and plan to come with us! :cool:

14. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Cedar and Others out there :)

We've been moved????? Well NUTS!!!!!! If you can't jump on a tunnel what can you jump on???? Well I'm sure we will figure something out. I will show up this Sunday for sure In fact I will be at section 120. The only question is whether or not I wear my cowboy hat to make sure I stand out and all of y'all can find me and introduce yourselves. Now onto the news for today.

The first item of news is the first two players selected by the Steamers in the dispersal draft. Coach Doran attempted to work out a trade with Chicago for the #1 pick, so that we could acquire Mark Ughy, but that idea didn't work out as planned. With the third pick of the draft the boyz selected MISL veteran Mariano Bollella who played for the Ambush for about half of the 94 season. Mariano has 5 goals in 7 matches so far this season. In the second round Sean Bowers went to the Steamers, who has been a player with the Wizards in MLS. Bowers is an excellent defensive player who led the league in blocks last season. In the third round the Steamers took Monterrey foward Marco "Chikis" Lopez who looked fairly impressive in his one previous appearance in St. Louis earlier this season. The rest of the draft really wasn't that interesting for the Steamers with the exception of the 7th round selection of Kevin Quigley who used to play with the Steamers and various other St. Louis teams.

Now this draft really could mean very little. All of these players are free agents who have to sign contracts with the Steamers and fit under the salary cap. It could be quite confusing and will probably mean that none of these players will be in uniform for either of the games this weekend. OK other notes of interest involving the draft. Uh let's see Victor Nogueira was drafted 20th overall (a bit of a shocker). Vitalis Takawira (aka Digital) was taken 42nd, which I guess just shows how the mighty have fallen because for a couple of years he was the big deal in MLS (ok one year :) )

Now onto schedule changes. All of the home dates will remain the same except the opposition has changed. The Steamers play KC on March 26th instead of Milwaukee, Cleveland replaces San Diego April 10th and the Wave come to town April 16th replacing Monterrey. The Steamers will play extra road games at KC, Baltimore and Milwaukee.

OK a couple of closing thoughts. I am interested in the idea of a road trip at somepoint, however my finances are a little limited. Another good idea for watching our boys away from home might be Kansas City cause that's an easy 4 hour ride (at the most) each way. So that's a lil food for thought. I like the pickup the Bowers, because I think he can improve an already solid defense. Anything to make the keepers life easier eh. Well that's about it for tonight. I may give you some more of my thoughts tomrorow before the match. If not be sure to listen to KFNS 590 AM your voice of the St. Louis Steamers.

Cheers
    Johnny

15. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
  16. 4everBlowingBubbles

4everBlowingBubbles New Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Hey, I just wanted to say it was great having your guys in Milwaukee last week. Excellent game, and everyone in Brew City has a new person to hate...DiMaria.

Seriously, it was a very well-played and hard fought game. St. Louis' style is a little different from what I have grown accustomed to from watching teams like the Wave, Storm and Blast, (a little less physical I would say) but great play nonetheless.

17. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo Justin, what's up man!!! It was a great match on Sunday night, and to you and the rest of us as we stand and sing and have a bunch of people stare at us :D

It's interesting how Chicago teams seem to fall apart when they are playing lads from St. Louis. It happened to the cubs last summer, and it happened on Sunday night after the storm blew a lead they should have held onto. If anybody has any news on what suspensions will be passed down from the league offices please inform us. I haven't heard nothing yet.

However a few things are clear. This year the road to a championship will clearly lead through St. Louis!!! I truly believe this is the year for St. Louis to bring home it's second (I know only one so far?????) indoor championship. The depth that this team has is amazing!!!!! I alsow want to thank 4ever for his nice comments about our team. I would agree that we are a little less physical (though I'm not so sure after the rumble) but that's always kind of been the St. Louis style. Well, on the southside of town if nothing else(hehehe). We passed along your comments to Jeff and he said something that can't be repeated as this is a family thread (I'm assuming this). I'm just kidding. Good luck to your lads and especially to Joe Hammes (a SLU Billiken) except for when you play us :D
    Cheers
    Johnny

18. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok here's the update. Brett Phillips was suspended two games for his actions in the fight at the last home match what Matt Caution and Mali Walton were supsended for one game. My opinions on this subject later.

The Steamers lost 6-4 to Cleveland on Friday night. Chris Smith, who I incorrectly said was gone from the team (my bad there Chris) started both games over the weekend for the Steamers which leaves me with another issue to talk about later on. Saturday night in the historic Kemper Arena saw the Steamers come out victorious by a score of 8-6 over the comments. For all the hairy details hit up www.stlsteamers.com

Ok time for me to get up on my soapbox. Why did Brett Phillips get two games while all 3 chicago "players" (I'm being polite here) got a single game suspension. This does not seem right at all and frankly has me quite iritated. If the league would give a simple answer that makes sense I'd be satisfied but I'm looking at the league website and I can't find any explanation at all. So all the muckity-mucks at the MISL offices I'm calling you out!!! Give us Steamer fans a reason why BP got the extra game!!!

Issue #2. What is Steamer managment doing??? Why did not our good lad from Grenada start in either game this weekend??? Once again I'd like to apologize to Chris Smith for my mistake. I looked on the website just now and Baptiste isn't even on the roster anymore apparently. I'm confused here to say the least. I liked the siging of Kellon I admit and I think he could develop into a great indoor keeper. I think we can all admit that Brett is the #1 keeper and he damn well should be. That being said we need to have a solid and definite #2 on our team. Kellon and Chris may have the same problem though. The only way for them to develop into indoor goalies is to have them play. During these two day weeekends it may not kill these guys to give them a start and if they are a bit shaky we can always bring Brett into the match. It's just a thought and it may not be good but I figure it's worth a try.

Well, it's about time for me to sign off for today so peace out!!!
    Cheers
    Johnny

19. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this about?

and what is the reality series "Red Card"

20. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    Long story short, we have new owners.
    These guys didn't know much about soccer, but they do understand marketing. ;)
    It started with billboards with naked guys, now this.

Yup, our team has a reality show.
    Yup, our team has a women player.

The tv show is going to ROCK and I can't wait.

As far as Ms. Kennedy goes, I think it's brilliant!
    She's local, and easily good enough to have played in the WUSA if it was still around, and if and when it comes back, maybe she will. But personally I hope this starts a trend in MISL. I love the USWNT and would love to see those ladies GET PAID for playing outside of the Nats. It would definatly be great publicity and would cause MISL to have more mass appeal.

Anyway, I digress.
    It must be hard to be a MISL fan anywhere but St. Louis. :D

21. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

oh puh-leese...... there is no way she can hang with guys playing for their LIVELYHOOD!!! THEIR PAYCHECK!!!... she will get slammed into the boards onces she touches the ball, complete and utter publicity stunt..doomed to fail... did you see the press release says she will have to earn her time just like anyone else? give me a break... you could find an athletic HS player that could take her in speed, moves and athleticism.... if this is what your new owners have in mind for your team... sad to say the steamers are in trouble!!!

22. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    'Cause he stomped on a guy when the guy was down and pinned against the boards. Raised up his foot and stomped on him, not once but twice.

23. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    chick on the team is a complete publicity stunt

i think it is safe to say that she is no michelle akers... who is the only woman the world has ever seen that might come close to being able to play with men at the professional level... and read that again.... might come close

it's too bad fifa doesn't regulate the misl... as this wouldn't be happening

24. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok I have to speak my mind on a couple things. So in case some people didn't notice I'm a student from Harris-Stowe State College. That is the same college as Miss Kennedy. Having been a member of the HSSC soccer program I know Lindsay quite well. I know for a fact she is tough enough to play in this league if she's given half a chance. I'm not saying she'll be an all-star or anything but I think it's a worthy experiment. And by the way this is not the first time this has ever happened in indoor soccer in this nation. Back in 1996 Kristine Lilly (heard of her have you) played for the Washington Warthogs in the CISL which through a number of league mergers is now known as the MISL. I even have proof of this at http://www.fifa.com/fifa/pub/magazine/fm4-96.15.html

Ok so the Steamers lost 6-3 to the Comets in front of the largest crowd of the season (8,998). Having been there I can safely say the team simply looked flat. To put it simply it was ugly, and I don't mean the Chicago forward. However, in the write up in the Post-Dispatch Tom Timmermann tried to blame the Kennedy signing as a possible reason for the flatness. That's just an excuse. If anything this should motivate players to play harder cause after the other night there are quite a few players who could deserve to lose a spot in the lineup. I fully admit Lindsay is a friend of mine so I'm biased but I'm behind her and the team 100%. Other news includes the start date of the reality show as Feb 12th on WB 11 and the trade of Nino DaSilva for cash and a 4th round pick in next years MISL draft.