The Official Said Haji Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I’m less worried about Haji - seems like he’s on a development path but it won’t be comparable to Jackson and that’s ok.

I’m a little more concerned about Fuentes. He doesn’t seem to be getting as many minutes. He’s also very young so there’s time.

bsman repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think until a player is at least 18 it's premature to spend a lot of time worrying about minutes.

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I forgot he's only 18 - yes way too early to worry about anything.

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was meh, instill think he's unproven. But keepers are vastly different then field players. There's 10 spots vs 1 spot. And keepers don't really become elite until there 29-35 these days. JT is still very unproven.

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want any player to do well regardless of the team they are on, but I just don't think he's going to fall the wayside of thousands of players do, into the abyss because they don't impress (insert coach) at the time. But his age helps him out, he will probably be a reserve team guy for us.

I remember once upon a time people wanted Jay Ayers and Kip Colvey to play.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ayers was good, until he got severely injured. Cut the guy some slack.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very much forgot about his injury.

Unfortunate he and Ben Parry never got there moment to shine. If I recall, and @bsman can probably add to it, Parry was quite good but got sick in Mexico and had half his intestines removed :(.

bsman repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to see a very early edition of the ‘08 Quakes play against a preseason USL Timbers squad up here. I very quickly identified some players who would or might have turned good, and several who were crap. We had a forward named Dwight. Big guy, and fast. I was hoping we’d keep him, at least for a few more run outs, but we didn’t. Curry and Hatzke both looked like crap. Ryan looked good. And Ayers was really solid.

Clearly, I disagree with a lot of coaches on their assessment of players. Some of the guys that I like but the coaches don’t go on to play very well for another team.

I think that all coaches have players that they like for no apparent reason, and players they don’t like that they should.

Go Quakes!!
    Go Quakesfans!!
    Piss on el-lay!!!!!!!

- Mark

9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and some guys go on and suck even more ass. Like Kip Colvey who played him self out of Colorado.

Both Hatzke boys sucked Nick and Matt. Curry was trash, Scholster was trash too. Lars Lyssand also had another runout with us in 2008 and he sucked ass as well.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My son frequently played against the Hatzkes (Almaden United) and played with them at state cup (for Tim Martin - ugh) one year. They typify what went wrong with youth soccer in the US - it was all about the Benjamins, baby. They were the first club in this area to do the whole "pro" manager and paid trainer thing. It was horrible, classist, and ruined youth soccer in the US for at least one generation...

hc897, QuakeAttack and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hope this kid worked hard this offseason. I want to see if he is able to take the next step and press for some serious minutes.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a couple of posters who were all upset that we didn't keep Kip. Fun times...

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, he was much better than Qwiberg, and having not seen him play a bad game as a Quake, I can't say definitively that we shouldn't have kept him, as LB depth at least. I had no data to suggest that we should get rid of him.

Turns out that he had other priorities in life, and didn't want to fight the pro soccer fight anymore. We can debate about whether or not he was good enough. I didn't see him play in CO, I can only go on what I saw of him as a Quake.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kip was in Colorado under his old New Zealand nats team coach, Anthony Hudson. Hudson was willing to play him for New Zealand, but, Kip struggled to get minutes in Colorado, so, I guess even Hudson felt Kip wasn't really MLS regular quality. But, then Hudson didn't prove to be MLS quality either.............

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kip sucked. He struggled to get minutes in Colorado under a coach who used him with the National Team... in a very small pond/talent pool Kip is good, in the land of the sharks, he is a jobber at best.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #66 JazzyJ, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Once again, I can only tell you what I saw and how I processed it. Your mileage may vary.

In my view he was from fine to good or even at times very good whenever I saw him play with the Quakes. There is no reason for me to believe he would be otherwise until I see it at least one time. His rookie year he was thrown into a starting spot right away due to injuries, and he did fine. Looked like he was going to get more playing time under Leitch and had a really good game in USOC against Seattle(?), but he had an ill-timed injury right after that. Tough break there. I don't know if he would have ever "made it" in MLS. He decided he wanted to pursue things other than pro soccer.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I can agree might have been good. Many good young guys were wrecked under the Quakes/Dynamo organizations under Kinnear.

Mike Chabala and Corey Ashe we're about the only guys who Kinnear developed. Maybe Kip could have had a better shot under a different team. But he just joins the long list of good college guys like Ustruck, Hayden, Michael-Hayden, Ramirez, Rodriguez etc.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think he just didn't want it badly enough in the end; soccer wasn't necessarily the most important thing in his life. He knew it was going to be a slog, as a kind of fringe MLS guy. And he wanted to do other things - something more stable in terms of income and residence, etc. It's not for everybody. And sometimes you need to get a little lucky with a break to get you over the hump. It's possible if he didn't get injured about the time Leitch came on things might have turned out a little differently for him and the Quakes.

Here's an article about his retirement with some relevant quotes.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/footb...lvey-announces-shock-retirement-from-football

Kaitlyn repped this.
  19. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kip had a chance to prove himself worthy when he played in Reno and he was terrible. He barely tried, and when he did, he was awful. The Quakes cut him for good reason, and then his New Zealand coach couldn't even find a reason to give him more time. Enough about Kip as he was past his time with San Jose ages ago.

Kaitlyn and xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #70 JazzyJ, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    It's possible he was having motivational issues at that time, questioning if he wanted to stick with pro soccer. But I'll say it again. I didn't see him play a bad game with the Quakes. It's hard for me to be convinced he would have been a "bad player" for them since I did not see it actually, you know, happen. Granted I didn't see him play a lot of Quakes games, but probably around 5, and he always looked pretty good, and a few times really good. That's not to say that it proves anything. It's just that I can't really get completely behind "Kip sucks!" since I never saw it - with the Quakes anyway.

FWIW I saw Yueill play a few times with Reno and he looked pretty average. So it's not always entirely linear.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree (well I don't know about "really good" but "pretty good" seems right), but it's "around five games"... Talk about a small sample size. That's like when certain people around here insisted JJ Koval was good based on a handful of games, despite all subsequent evidence to the contrary. Or Mike Fucito before that... based on what I'm not exactly sure.

You have the strangest obsessions... Kip Colvey has been out of professional soccer since 2018. 2018!! It's now... (checks calendar)... 2021. He's probably selling insurance by now. Or maybe he joined Koval in dental school. At least Adam Jahn, mediocre as he is, is still being paid to play soccer!

Edit: physician assistant apparently

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not an "obsession". I didn't bring up Colvey. Someone trashed him, and made fun of people who thought favorably of him. I have simply stated that I did not see him play poorly for the Quakes. Then I got attacked for it, and simply defended my position. You may want to ask the Colvey trashers why they are so obsessed with it.

I agree that the sample size is small. But we're not talking about goals or assists or even crosses. I'm looking at possessions, and there were probably a total of say a couple of hundred in total in the games that I saw. So in that sense the sample size is not that small. But sure, if I saw him play more I may have come to a different conclusion. But I'm not even concluding that he is good. I'm merely saying that I did not see evidence of him being bad in the games that he played with the Quakes. So I am unable to agree that he was "bad", not having actually seen it myself.

As for Colvey being out of soccer, I've gone over that multiple times. He saw that it was going to be a grind. He had other priorities in his life. Everyone's different. I'm not making stuff up, and this is not just based on that article but also based on some additional information I received from people who know him very well.

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but, as Jazzy has mentioned (many times in fact ), Kip had an unheard of 6 key passes in one half of a USOC game for the Quakes. That is something he can always tell the grandkids.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well I haven't mentioned it all in this thread, but now that you mention it, yeah, that was pretty great. You don't see that very often! I was standing near the sideline watching the Quakes attack. He was on fire! And really the whole team was. That was early in Leitch's reign, possibly one of the first few games.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go!!

Will the New Hampshire native get any decent minutes with us this year?

He’s got some wheels, and he does try to combine with his teammates. I want to see him get some more time just because I want to see what he can do. That and, most of our team sucks.

GO Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.