The Official Red Bull Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Thomas A Fina, Jan 26, 2008.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is wrong with Curtain? Dude is whiter than his uniform. Now that he's in SoCal, he needs to get outside more often. I had to turn the contrast down on my monitor just to view the picture.

2. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Colombian forward in camp with the Red Bulls:

COLOMBIAN CONNECTION: Red Bulls bring Echeverry into camp

Here's a picture of Echeverry in action with Atletico Nacional:

[​IMG]

Apparently, Echeverry had just left Atletico Nacional and joined Millonarios. This article states that Echeverry is 30 years old and has converted 27 goals in 203 first division games (not a prolific scorer, if you ask me). Also, he played 17 games with Atletico Nacional last season and scored 0 goals. That's right, 0 goals.

3. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was like the bad light blinding you to everything else

4. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    If we sign a dud player like that for more than a $30k salary, there would have to be some sleazy business going on. I'd seriously have to wonder if Octavio Zambrano and his kickback machine is back in charge.

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
  6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, that is the last thing we need here again. I know JCO worked under OZ but i sure hope he didn't pick up THAT nasty little dirty dealing habit from him.

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's how it works all over the world. Not everyone plays that game but ALOT do. Hey why do you think that certain players ask for guaranteed playing time?

8. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

9. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    What is up with Harry?

His thumb you idiot!

10. madviking

madviking New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Stockholm
    RBNY have 2-0 just 13 min into the game... first one a counterattack and second one a penalty by Angel.

28th min: 3-0. Our goalie missed the ball at a cornerkick and some RBNY player easily headed in 3-0.

11. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this anywhere near your first team?

13. madviking

madviking New Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Stockholm
    This is our first pre season game. I think 5-6 players in the starting line up would start in the league in april.

14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its our second preseason game, so i'd say we are roughtly at the same point. I would assume NY is playing as close to a first team as possible the first 45 and the second team and trialists mostly in the second 45.

EDIT: Actually looking at the first XI today:

Only Reyna, Angle, Kovolenko, Richards and Conway are regular starters.

15. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    Where's Parke?

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    retired I hope so.....

17. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the starting second half line-up:

Hammarby score:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/02/mls-pre-season.html

18. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    was the final score 3-1? Ives blog stops after 68 min.

19. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, when the LA Galaxy say closed-door, they really mean closed-door these days. I wasn't able to watch the Galaxy's scrimmage vs. UCLA, but I needed my live soccer fix, so I went and watched the Red Bulls play Hammarby instead.

From what I could see, the first-half lineup wasn't quite a 3-4-1-2 as Ives says, more like a 4-4-2 "Y" with Reyna playing deep and in front of Kovalenko. It actually looked to me like David Roth (wearing #5, and playing very well, both of which bode well for his chances at making the roster) was playing left back, and Sinisa Ubiparipovic was playing left wing, though Roth and Ubiparipovic interchanged quite a bit. The first half back line wasn't all that severely tested, as Hammarby attacked mainly up their left wing and Kovalenko and Leitch stopped everything.

The second half was an actual 3-5-2. Borman (#12) was active on the left wing and served up some good crosses, but needed a lot of "coaching" from Cepero and Mendes on his defensive positioning. I don't know if he's ever played the wingback role before. Fitness also seemed to be a bit of an issue later on in the half, though this is obviously the case with a lot of players just coming out of college. Nunez looked decent as a central playmaker, but didn't get a lot of chances to impress as the Red Bulls were pinned in their half for most of the second half. Stammler pretty much singlehandedly kept the defense from getting overrun - other than Mendes, the second half defenders weren't doing well. Palguta (#22 on the left) was technically sound, but exposed by pace - he might be OK in MLS as a center back in a 4-back set, but definitely doesn't have the speed to play in a back three. On the right side, Niziolek (#38) was turned inside out when Hammarby scored, and didn't look comfortable on the ball at all.

One final note that Ives didn't mention: Luke Sassano exited the game around the 85th minute with some kind of injury. Wolyniec re-entered to replace him, and turned out to be a quite serviceable defensive midfielder.

21. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More Red Bulls tidbits from Ives, including:

Also, Ives speculates that either Parke or Mendes and either Stammler or Kovalenko will be traded.

Red Bulls training camp update

22. tfoisie

tfoisie New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Thank you for this excellent report. Props to you!

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't they drop DVB at that salary and keep Dema - although I wouldn't be shocked to see Dema's contract re-worked - I love him, but he is not worth 200k. Seth Stammler makes 105k now? Wow.

Knowing the way this franchise has always worked, we will trade Jeff Parke just to ******** with 101.

24. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are stating to make sense, at least in my mind:rolleyes:. Dema gets traded to the Fire for Conde, and Stammler slides into the DM role.

25. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    I do not believe Stammler is a good holding midfielder when he played in that slot he is often out of position. I believe keeping Dema and using Stammler a trade bait and if the RBNY can't find that attacking midfielder then they should stick with 3-4-1-2 with the starting 11 like this:
    -----Angel--Altidore (Echeverry)----
    ----------Doe--------------
    TBD--Reyna----Dema---Richards
    TBD-------Conde? (Parke)---Freeman