The Official Oswaldo Alanís thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BIGBADMIKE, Jan 27, 2020.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many have been reported by the best English language reporter in Mexico to have already taken his physical for the Quakes?

2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said the same thing on Fierro and Rios... fool me one (or twice)...

Beerking repped this.
  3. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Highlight" reel:

Couple of quick thoughts:

1) Takes PKs and Freekicks (at least sometime)
    2) Seems to so be some kind of arial threat (but not enough clips to really know)
    3) The reel is severely lacking good defensive examples for a defender
    4) no idea how fast/quick he might be

Overall I doubt he's worse than Kashia.

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're not going to really "see" the best work defenders do in a YouTube highlight reel unless it's a really unusual highlight reel. A few athletic plays here and there does not a defender make. And, if a defender has to make those kinds of plays, it usually means they made a big mistake earlier.

Boysinblue, markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    well, yes, there is that way of looking at it.

apparently you’re not jumping on the party line saying those guys will show once they have that preseason under their belt!

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don’t play for El Tri if you suck, And what the hell difference does it make if this is last contract? He’s not a DP, a young DP, or a homegrown. He’s exactly as expected...a known quantity, perfectly capable of competing to be a starting CB. Not everyone has to be 25 years old where you can hope they are in your team for many years. This seems a much more known commodity than Rios. And a I think across the board we all thought Fierro was a bit of a flyer. I get the skepticism because we probably paid too much to take a flyer on Fierro. But that is not this.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's a line for the Kool Aid? Glad I got mine early on. :)

blue kool aid.jpg

Scott Rohde repped this.
  8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have hope for Rios. Not Fierro though :(

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not concerned with his age (30 is not old for a defender), but the lack of playing time over the past two years is a concern. At worse, he will probably still be better than our backups the past year.

For the comments on Rios, I expect him to be better this year and surprise some people. Fierro, not so much...

10. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remind me again, how old was Muma when he signed?

Boysinblue repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Per Wikipedia, he was born in May 1982, so he would have been 29 ahead of the 2012 season. A year younger than Alanis.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  12. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Monterrey Rayados were (apparently) also interested in Alanis. So yes, he definitely doesn't suck.

Boysinblue, markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonio2020 repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll be damned! Just when they had me convinced that we would have no reinforcements until Summer!

Sactown Soccer and Antonio2020 repped this.
  15. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, Getafe (his first Spanish club) has done very will recently in La Liga and finished 5th the season that Alanís joined them. They are currently in 4th. That means they are far better than any MLS team--so his failure to stick there doesn't necessarily mean he isn't good at MLS level. He also played quite a bit for Guadalajara during successful seasons, and they were also better than any team in MLS.

Boysinblue and Antonio2020 repped this.
  16. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here's another "aging" CB who's even older--32! Definitely too old for the EQ:

upload_2020-1-27_21-13-14.jpeg

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I don't think you can use Getafe as a data point at all. He was only there a month. Who knows what went wrong.

18. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    They were gas lighting us!

don gagliardi repped this.
  19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kashia isn't worth $600K. We need to replace him. At a minimum, we need to find someone to start in his place and put him on the bench. He's not good enough.

Now, I think it likely that he continues to start, both because we pay him too much to sit and because Jesse brought him on board to make Vako happy. (I could wax poetic about how stupid I think it is to bring in a second player to make a previous signing happy.) So yeah, it's not likely that Jesse will jettison Kashia, or that Kashia will sit the bench. But my point is that he should be on the bench because he's not good enough to start.

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer and Beerking repped this.
  20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I don't think the Quakes did a good job at all with helping to get Vako acclimated to playing in San Jose. Was adding Kashia the best move? At his salary and quality, probably not. If the primary goal was to help make Vako better, well, he didn't really do that. If they really thought he was a great defender, well, that hasn't really proved to be true, either.

There have been far worse signings, but I have a feeling Alanis will replace Kashia in the starting role sooner rather than later. Of course, I also thought Cummings would surely be the preferred choice over Kashia also, and that didn't end up happening. 600k is not all that much for a good defender, but it's a pretty big hit if they aren't playing.

I also have a feeling Vako and Kashia will both leave the Quakes before the season is over. The players that have been signed since Almeyda's hire are starkly different from those signed before in terms of nationality. That's not a coincidence.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    have we lost looked anywhere besides Chivas for players since Matias arrived? Espinoza, Rios, Fierro, hoped for Pulido and now Alanis. That’s great if these guys can get the job done but I think they’re all former Chivas players as if that’s our new farm squad down there and that’s as far as we’re gonna look in our quest to become the next Chivas USA.

Beerking repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espinoza and Rios are Matias connections from Argentina, not Chivas.

23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Still begs the question, what’s Jesse doing?

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Facilitating the acquisition of these players, presumably. That's not nothing, certainly, but you'd hope to see some evidence that he and his scouts/analysts are leading the charge on this instead.

Quakes05 repped this.
  25. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States