The Official Nick Lima thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 21, 2016.

1. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or he could just stay and kick ass with the Quakes and the freaking national team...haha.

Seismothusiast and Earthshaker repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #427 falvo, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Ya he was only a red shirt junior this year so maybe he will improve!

3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If he doesn't improve very quickly, he's going to price himself out of a job with the Quakes. He practically did it in 2019. The more time he plays in San Jose, the more it seems that he was already at his ceiling when he turned pro. He's essentially the same player he was three years ago, and that's not a good thing since he was not a top defender when he entered the league.

I want him to succeed, but I want the team to succeed more, and I don't think both of those things are going to coincide.

mjlee22 and falvo repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Nick's problem is that he hangs around Tommy Thompson too much. I don't think TT's expectations and soccer goals are very high, because he has such broad talents and interests. So i think Nick would do a lot more for his career by going to a different MLS club where he gets out of his comfort zone and challenges himself on a weekly basis, not just at intermittent USMNT callups.

Who in MLS could use a right back/half back and develop Nick more? I'm thinking maybe HOU or SKC if they decide Zusi is too old...

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, it's Tommy's fault.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did Nick's mom tell him to stop hanging out with Tommy because he's a bad influence? :ROFLMAO:

7. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah because TT doesn't give a shit about soccer, only working on his dance moves:ROFLMAO: TT has said and demonstrated he will do whatever the coaches ask of him to get on the field. Can the same be said of Nick?

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tommy in my opinion , deserves a USMNT call up over Nick...

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, for the last 3 years or so, every time we went to some kind of non-Quakes soccer event or fundraiser, Tommy was there. First his companion was always Alashe. The last thing we went to, Nick and one of Tommy’s brothers was with him. I got the feeling TT was kinda into the celebrity pro soccer player thing.

Almeyda made a comment early on about “National Team Nick”. Almeyda also decried some young player who went out and bought a car after signing. River Plate has a culture of work ethic and team first. Maybe Nick doesn’t really pass Almeyda’s muster because of stuff off the field...

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Your thesis suffers from internal contradictions. If Almeyda is indeed dismayed by supposedly too much extracurricular activity by Lima, and Thompson is also supposedly engaged in too much extracurricular activity, we should expect Almeyda to be likewise dismayed by Thompson. Yet, Almeyda consistently started Thompson, despite all those non-Quakes soccer events.

A couple additional points: (1) Nick Lima appears very dedicated to his craft. I recall seeing him working out alone at the stadium last off-season. So the premise that he's not all-in seems misguided. (2) Tommy Thompson's appearances off the field are a good thing. And making appearances at a maximum security prison (San Quentin) or an inner-city high school in Oakland (where Soccer Without Borders is sited) doesn't strike me as soaking in "celebrity" status.

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I watched Nick run sprints after a game in which he played little, I know he puts in time for his fitness. We all speculated all season why Almeyda wasn’t playing Nick that much. We know part of it was that Nick wasn’t enthused about playing on the left side. I think the National Team Nick comment was also part.

As to why Almeyda might like Tommy but not Nick if they both do the same outside activity... Maybe what it really comes down to is that Almeyda likes a project. Tommy had a lot of promise to fulfill. Nick may have already peaked.

12. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it could be as simple as Tommy presenting a different skill set than Nick, one that Almeyda thinks fits better into his system.

13. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Or it could be that MA brought in a left back that he wanted to start.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything, MA bringing in a left back that he wanted to start has actually given Nick more opportunity to play, since said left back, Lopez, did not nail down that spot, allowing Nick to get minutes there.;)

bsman repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Glad I go a chance to meet Lima at the meet and greet the other day. There is video of us out there talking and told me how much he learned from Kevin Grimes at Cal. He also confirmed that it was Grimes who converted him from an offensive to a defensive player.

He remembered my cousin as Cal's captain and told me what a great player he was. Great guy. I hope he does well this year! Go Nick! :thumbsup:

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I remember in 2017 when Lima was injured he watched the game with his friend in the seats right in front of us. It must have been obvious that we were excited that he was sitting with us because he turned around and shook our hands and greeted us. Super nice guy and when you see him up close it’s clear he’s built like a tank. His legs are like tree trunks.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He has a great build for a soccer player. Not tall but he is full of muscle.

19. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    mjlee22 repped this.
  20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Interesting idea. I was touting him to move up to outside mid, but maybe central would work out even better. One drawback though, his ball skill, particularly when under pressure is sub par. That's not a great trait for a central player.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So long as Judson is fit enough to play, I just don't see how Lima could break into that role in San Jose, especially when Jungwirth could substitute in instead. I've never been particularly impressed with Lima's one on one defending and would be concerned that he'd lose his marks far too often, which is the one thing you can't do in that role.

Lima is a weird case where his strengths, while enticing, just seem too overshadowed by his shortcomings. Honestly, I'd rather he get another chance at being a forward at this point than a central midfielder. At least as a forward, those shortcomings would be minimized. It's also hard to believe he'll be 26 this year. Everyone keeps talking about him as if he's an up and comer, but he should be at the peak of his playing abilities right now and he's not.

I really wonder whether or not he would have been better had he gone to a different team instead of the Kinnear led Quakes early in his career. Lima may be coachable, as the article says, but he's not a young player anymore, and if you have to choose between a 22 year old with flaws and a 26 year old with flaws, it's a hard sell to stick with the 26 year old.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everybody including his biggest fans underestimate or are to hard on Lima. I also think he'd be a great outside mid, but we're set there already particularly on the right side. All he can do is make the most of the minutes he gets, maybe this will be his year.

23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great article on Lima. I wouldn't mind seeing him in midfield. I think he could easily handle it in MLS...I think he would have a positive impact. I'm a big fan of his overall game, contrary to some I think he is a solid defender and his ability to shoot is something we need.

Earthshaker repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does that Family/Biology mean? that Quakes are Family for him?
    Nick told me he was Mexican + Portuguese, so I assume he was not adopted...