The Official Matías Almeyda thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robby Krieger was a pretty good guitarist, and did co-write some of the Doors biggest hits, like Light My Fire, Love Me Two Times, Love Her Madly, and Touch Me. But, yes, it was all about the front man, Morrison.

Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, when Almeyda leaves, he’s taking his posse with him. BUT, Alex Covelo is OUR guy, and he will stay. He’s been working with and in Almeyda’s system from the beginning, so I think that the hope is that Alex can carry on in the Almeyda tradition of man-marking, high-press, specific-attacking-patterns-and-times. Naturally, I don’t think that Alex is up to the task. I think he’s an idiot, but I don’t know him personally, so I could be totally wrong about that.

I am shocked that Almeyda kept both Alanis and Rios. My fear is that Almeyda thinks they are good players, and if that’s so, we’re completely screwed.

Also, we keep hoping for the academy to produce good players for us, but Fishing Fisher isn’t investing in the academy very much, so I don’t think that’s going to work. Coupled with Jesse and Almeyda’s obsession with foreign players, I fear that our outlook is not good.

I’m really down on the organization right now, if that doesn’t match your analysis (any of you, not JJ in particular) then you shouldn’t pay too much attention to me.

Go Quakesfans!!
    Be Well everyone!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chemistry of the four of them really worked. The whole was greater than the sum. (I don’t know Stone Temple Pilots, nor Nickleback, partly because I’m old, and partly because I don’t give a fig about popular music.)

We need for that magic to work for our Quakes. Where the collective is greater than the individual pieces. Such that we’re a good team, even if we lack superstars.

Otherwise, my liver is going to hurt before mid-season.

Go Quakes!!!
    Go Quakesfans!
    FU Fisher!!!

- Mark

Earthshaker repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I read where they did try to keep the band going for a few years after Morrison died, with another vocalist, but not surprisingly, it didn't last too long.

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Never cared for The Doors all that much, I was a Deadhead. :D

bsman repped this.
  6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS

Nickleback probably deserve worst ever honors, STP on the other hand, they were the grunge band from San Diego, had some great songs, 'Interstate Love Song' comes to mind, they had a self-destructive front man though, much like The Doors, who also died (too young), sadly.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    saw the Dead once in Hampton, Virginia, during my Navy days, probably 1980, could've been 1981...what an experience was, wow, lets just leave it at that. :ROFLMAO:

Beerking repped this.
  8. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Music is so subjective, but my two cents is The Doors were an extremely influential unique band. Definitely a generational thing, I guess you had to be there and know the vibe at the time...they had mega cred. I don't look at individual virtuosity as much as collective creativity. I always thought of them as the world's greatest dark garage band...

But yeah I agree with Jazz' point. The presence Morrison and Almeyda possess in their respective gigs is synonymous. They're pretty much the show.

STP was an opportunistic styrofoam knock off band, imo

Bringing it back to soccer....it is possible there might be another Bielsa disciple out there, not likely, but I don't think they would go with Covelo. He's a total lightweight and everybody knows it. I guess it all depends what happens over the next two seasons. If we bring in a new GM at that time, assuming Almeyda is gone. Imo, it is a forgone conclusion, we'll have a new GM in two years who will identify a new coach with another reset to the roster.

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Ian Russell revamped his game plans to coach man marking and ended up with the highest scoring team with the best record. Not that Jesse would respect that, but just saying....,

10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1358549993221738498 is not a valid tweet id

A long Almeyda interview thread talking about life, depression, Argentina and Chile.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian played a legitimate high pressing style of attack/defense. Anyone who thinks he's not qualified to coach an MLS team, has a lack of fundamental soccer knowledge.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I suspected. Federations aren't clubs and they don't have the the same types of money that clubs do with wheeling and dealing players. They rely on revenues made off if tournaments. Although Chile won 2 of the last 3 Copa Americas, they missed out on the 2018 World Cup and I'm assuming they aren't that well off as most countries especially during this pandemic.

13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Exactly. You don’t need to find an Argentine or European coach to play a high press/high scoring game plan. Russell proved he could play “Bielsa Ball” as good as any coach.

markmcf8 and JazzyJ repped this.
  14. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The good news for Bersano. He was resigned (apparently?). The bad news: they apparently don't care enough about him to bother announcing it.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Dude...

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Off topic, but so true, especially rock / pop music. And people come in with their opinions like it's the objective truth. Never understood that. You like what you like but there isn't a whole lot of objective truth in it.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I think that's right, it really comes down to personal preference. I feel bad for musicians these days, first downloading and streaming cut into their music sales and nowadays they can't even make money from live performances, must be tough.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yep. Most musicians I know (myself included) rely on teaching for some semblance of steady income. Fortunately that is pretty doable online.

Quakes05 repped this.
  20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree, the only chance Russell has is if Fioranelli is gone in a couple years. Of course he would still need to be in the fold...don't know if he'll find a better gig between now and then. It is frustrating, for all we know we could have another Schmetzer right under our nose...a classic disrespected low key club diehard coach who just wins....of course Schmetzer has a trophy hungry owner and FO and top budget....more to Russell's credit, he's won on a shoe string with multiple tactical approaches.

Sactown Soccer, JazzyJ and markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I stopped going after 79 shows, right after Jerry passed away. :(

And yes, the shows were a trip, from the parking lot all the way to the last song.:D

bigdumbgod and Quakes05 repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    When you think about all of the MLS coaches who came up through either MLS or USL or U.S. college ranks, whether they are American or not, they had familiarity with U.S. soccer in some form, seems like that's where most of the success has been: Arena, Porter, Schmid, Kinnear, Yallop. Vanney, Schmelzer, Berhalter, Curtin, etc.

Of course the majority of coaches throughout MLS history have that background, so it's a weighted measurement. But if you took the "weighting" into consideration, I wonder if those coaches, let's call them "U.S. soccer experience coaches", have out-performed the imports. There have been some good intl coaches but also some spectacular failures, including coaches like Ruud Gullit and Mikael Stahre.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3498 falvo, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    You can't really compare the two coaches or teams. Schmetzer learned from Sigi Schmid and inherited a winning team that made the playoffs in each year of their existence. The Quakes are nowhere near the team the Sounders are and never have been. Just look at both teams records since 2008 & 2009 respectively.

The Quakes made the playoffs in 2010 , 2012 , 2017 and last year with one Supporters' Shield and 5 coaches.

The Sounders have made it each year and won 2 MLS Cup wins , 2 runner-up's, four U.S. Open Cup and one Supporters' Shield and only 2 coaches.

If you want to make Schmetzer as an example of who to follow , his job was already on the line this season and then they made the MLS Cup when his contract was renewed. There was a huge question mark regarding his job prior to the finals though.

Regardless, the bottom line is the Sounders have a much better team with a more committed ownership group who will give any coach a better platform for successes. The Quakes aren't in the same boat and aren't even close to where they are.

Sactown Soccer and bsman repped this.
  24. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    San Jose Earthquakes coach Matias Almeyda confirms he won't be taking Chile job
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021...onal-team-interest-he-loves-coaching-san-jose

”I am grateful to the people of Chile, to its sports director [Francis Cagigao], a great professional; and to its president [Pablo Milad],” Almeyda told radio La Red. “The effort they made to hire me, and the sporting and economic proposal, which was good. I appreciate it, I want to make it public. I was left with the desire.”

But Almeyda, who helped guide the Quakes to the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs last fall, explained why he enjoys coaching in San Jose.

“Why did I come to MLS? Here I am turning off lights, I am getting rid of fame,” he said. “As I speak with you, I’m walking around my neighborhood. A few people have said hello. I want to live a normal life. I want to have a space in life while doing what I love.

“I want a quality of life that not everything is football.”

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Remember though, Schmetzer came in mid-year to replace Schmid in 2016. Schmid was fired not long after saying "we don't have the horses" to win in MLS. Schmetzer took that team to MLS Cup. Granted I think they added Lodeiro that year, but regardless that was a great bit of coaching.