The Official Luchi Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beckham7, Aug 17, 2022.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes earned a clean sheet in the playoffs at Kansas City last season, and exited on penalties. Since, they have allowed at least two goals in every game this season.

In all of Quakes history, they have never lost a game in regulation in which they held the opponent scoreless. It's uncanny. Yet they managed to lose seven games this season while conceding two or more goals.

Espinoza is the least of the team's concerns.

markmcf8, Boysinblue, Beerking and 3 others repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look you can't expect a first division soccer team's well paid professional coaching staff to get it just because random fans chatting in some lounge do...

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He’s not a “concern” and certainly not “the problem”, but it’s a clear difference from last year when he had a red hot start. When you score goals it helps your defense also, for multiple reasons. More goals for also helps you win games, even when your defense is not playing great. Last year, at least early in the year when we had the best results, we had Super Espinoza. This year so far, just Regular Espinoza..

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen 10 year old's go into challenges harder than Pellegrino. It's like he is afraid of getting his spindly legs snapped.

mjlee22, Beerking, Kaitlyn and 1 other person repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This should come as no surprise to anyone who watched him play for even 3 minutes of one of his condensed games at Bødo, and I'm sure it's no surprise to the Quakes. He's not going to play the position like Cade Cowell and he's not going get "stuck in". He's a goal scorer. So you play to his strengths or you don't bother playing him.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why aren’t they playing to his strengths?

Beerking and xbhaskarx repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think they're trying. Luchi even mentioned it in the postgame. Something like he's getting used to fitting in in a new league and we have to help him. Getting a little better over the last few games in terms of getting him involved. He just got back from missing a couple of games. Played something like 20 min in one and 70 in another. Scored a goal and had a couple of decent chances in the last game.

8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got at least 10-12 yards of space there... as soon as you put a defender anywhere near him in midfield buildup play he panics and doesn't know what to do. It's always either backpass or cement feet and dumb turnover.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Cade has never" is the lowest of bars unless you're talking about repeatedly lifting heavy objects lol

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U like Pellegrino, but hes not suited for the very physical American Soccer.

Hes A half way Lagos.

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He brought down a 20 yard pass and played it perfectly with his first touch, so that his next touch was his shot. If he'd taken a few touches the opportunity probably would have shut down. Class touch. Class finish.

On this one (2:30 minutes in), he beats two defenders, including the 2nd guy (on his right), when he lifts the ball over the guy's foot.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/hig...-earthquakes-vs-colorado-rapids-april-13-2024

Again, I'm not saying he always gets it right. And it goes w/o saying that he's not going to try to take players on with the dribble isolated out on the wing. As I said, anyone who's watched 3 minutes of one of his Bødo games can tell you that. Or just look at his fbref. He's not that kind of player. So once again, you either play to his strengths or you don't play him. He can help the team if you play to his strengths. The Quakes really need a CAM who drives the ball into the box with his feet and can unbalance the defense and distribute. That's why I've been calling for our "k-mart Puig" for a long time.

12. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your saying he did what is expected of a professional soccer player who's on the wing? Gotcha.

Beerking repped this.
  13. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Pellegrino is about to get the Kip Colvey special from jazzy lol

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm talking about what he's good at and what he's not good at. Not allowed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh no

16. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Who said it wasn’t allowed? By all means, do your thing, I’m pulling for his success bigtime as well. I just don’t know if he’s a 7 key passes in 1 half type player, know what I mean?

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Probably not. He’s not really a big assists guy. He’s looking for his own shot.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well no one can dispute that both will be retired from professional soccer two years later.

Kaitlyn and Golazo69 repped this.
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW I got laughed at by some prestigious colleagues when I said 'Key Passes' when learning how to analyze video footage. They told me to not talk like a fan, and talk like a professional :(

Direct, Fluent, Lobbed, Linier, Long, Hospital, 1-2-1, 1, 2, Ground, Divert, Lofted, Through, Flutter, and Dump are the actual terms.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It’s just an indicator (one of many) of how much a player is involved in the offense. Nothing more nothing less. Of course there are many more fine grained, more useful metrics.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could listen to all your reports about what Pelle did on the other side of the world, or…
    We could believe our eyes.
    I think the eyes have it.
    Sorry Jazzy.

markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then use your eyes to watch some of the highlight videos of his goal scoring in Norway. This is just last year.

JazzyJ repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    But I’m showing clips of plays he’s made with us, that we’ve seen with our own eyes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ As I’ve said he doesn’t always get it right and he has his weaknesses, but he at times shows class around goal that we don’t often see from our players. Question is can we leverage his strengths.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Food for thought-here’s a list of golden boot winners in Norway
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eliteserien_top_scorers

How many move the needle? Outside of Bendtner who was in the twilight of his career, not many in the last few decades.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1350 JazzyJ, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah and the thing about highlight videos is of course you only see the good plays, not the bad plays. I think we’ve seen some of that highlight video form from Pellegrino. Not a lot but some flashes. And then of course the not so good plays, which should surprise nobody. So then the question becomes - good play vs. bad play distribution. I think we need to see more some to get a better sense of that before we make grand conclusions. That’s where I’m at anyway.