The Official John J. Fisher ownership thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Mar 30, 2019.

?

John Fisher

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. should spend more money

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. should fire Fox and/or Fioranelli

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. should bring in additional owners

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. should sell the team

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. is not the problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. is doing a great job!

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <happy dance!>
    I just love it when I get things right!!

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1102 falvo, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    You may be right.

I also seem to recall that Lew was friends with Alan Rothenberg or something like that....

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t believe there are so many people in music and other sports willing to pump MLS to exorbitant values. Can anyone really imagine an MLS club being worth more than an EPL club? Mind-boggling to me.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of is, considering the extremely lucrative TV contracts the EPL, but, many of those teams have to spend themselves into debt to maintain their EPL status. I think MLS club valuations are like overpriced stocks with terrible price to earning ratios. I think we are in a bubble right now.
    And who, or what the hell is Yo Gotti? Sounds like a new yogurt brand.:p

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  5. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I think there are two reasons for this. First, owning sports teams in the U.S. is not about sports, financially speaking. Second, it helps tremendously when your wage bill is $15 million per year rather than $250 million per year.

6. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It helps even more knowing that even if your wage bill was 100M, one bad season will not result in your team being relagated to a lower division and you stuck with a bunch of highly priced players while your earnings ara a fraction of what they would be in the top division.

markmcf8, Goodsport and bsman repped this.
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, those are excellent points about lower wage bills and pro/rel. But does having a lower wage bill make a 7-11 store worth 2x a Whole Foods store?

I just feel like MLS owners have colluded to pump up the value of the current franchises that are for sale, and they are finding dummies with big wallets to purchase those. The MIA purchase is especially suspicious, since it is 2 co-owners selling to i think — the other co-owners — or did they find new victims...

8. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It's not just MLS but all major US sports leagues are part of a "closed system" with some form of a revenue sharing model guaranteeing good annual profit margins as there is no way for teams to be kicked out or relegated out of those leagues if they provide a poor product. In fact, they get rewarded with top picks in the draft which is, however, not nearly as important in the MLS as other sports leagues. That is incredibly appetizing to an investor as the risk factor is pretty much at zero.

This is not the case in world soccer thus the recent push by some of the top team accross the pond to jump-start the Super League which was going to have a similar framework to the US sports leagues.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would venture to guess that the single entity nature of MLS means that there has been nothing illegal with regard to the sale prices of MLS teams. I have a hard time imagining that MLS owners have not technically colluded, but collusion is only illegal if the nature of that collusion actually violates a law. Single entity gives MLS essentially an exemption from anti-trust laws in key areas, the most important being labor costs.

I don't care if a billionaire gets bilked for hundreds of millions of dollars (in fact, I'd be delighted), but the thing is, owners going in to MLS are relatively low risk. They have better revenue sharing schemes than pretty much any other league in the US because they are all one thing. So it doesn't really matter all that much if you bought a team for a ton of money because so long as the price of admission keeps going up, you will reap those rewards.

At some point, the league will hit a price point where they can no longer attract new investors, but because the potential pool of MLS team owners is so small, I don't foresee the bubble bursting the way it would with commodities or whatever else. The only way MLS would cause a real problem for itself is if it expanded indefinitely, but that's not going to happen and they can always contract if they have to (and they will have to eventually).

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1110 falvo, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Watching the EPL this morning , I had no idea the Niners had ownership stake in Leeds United!

Wouldn’t it be nice if Fisher got on the phone , made a local call to get some former 49ers players and/or potential owners involved in the Quakes?

John Lynch revels in Leeds United ownership stake, Ted Lasso | RSN

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1111 xbhaskarx, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Yes, yes I can.

I'd take every MLS club over say Norwich City. Because MLS clubs don't get relegated!

And those Euro leagues don't have a salary cap, or a single entity structure to pay players, so they can end up in massive debt. There are "Premier League clubs" sold for almost zero dollars, just the new owner paying off the considerable debt (I think Blackburn Rovers a decade ago unless I'm confusing them another mostly-irrelevant "B" club?)...

Buy a non big 6 Premier League club and you could soon be the proud owner of a Championship club, or even a League One club. See numerous examples (where's Bolton these days?), most recently the protagonists of "Sunderland Til I Die"...

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why? Getting more owners involved won't change anything so long as Fisher directs the budgets, which he will always do. So long as he has controlling shares of the team (and he will), there could be a thousand owners and it would be exactly the same.

Also, not all MLS fans care about or are interested in NFL owners getting involved in MLS. The NFL's horrific history of labor abuse at the behest of their owners is not something I'd want to see more of in MLS, which has its own long history of similar issues.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1113 falvo, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    No that wasn't really the point.

I'm saying getting other investors aboard so then can come in , have a say in how to run the club and spend money in a better way than Fisher has.

Maybe they can do better?

Anyway, they can't do worse than 12 out of 14 failed seasons.....

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1114 falvo, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Honestly, after thinking it over more and the fact that we are seeing the Quakes go through another losing and/or failed season, I am no longer convinced that Fisher will keep the team in San Jose.

Even though we have a stadium intact and built, I am now starting to believe John Fisher could end up moving the team or even selling to someone who could move it.

I mean he is contemplating moving the Oakland A’s to Las Vegas and I could easily see a scenario on moving the Earthquakes there too.

The dismantling of Pay Pal Park won’t be that difficult and the he could probably find a way to sell or leverage the land for more money.

We saw our championship winning Quakes move in 2005 and the Raiders move twice in 39 years.

Losing the A’s could be in the works soon so why not this edition of the Quakes?

I hope I'm wrong but as opposed to years past, I could see it happening.

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is aggressively ignoring the long and tortured history of building another baseball venue in the Bay Area. What advantage does Fisher and the league get by moving a team in one of the most populous cities in the most populous state to Las Vegas?

The threats to move the A's there are an effort to coax Oakland into paying for things they should not be paying for and have no money to pay for in any case. It's MLB bullying a municipality to give them the best break possible. I applaud Oakland for essentially telling them to go eff themselves.

The stadium in San Jose is a done deal. Fisher owns the land and the stadium. He has total control It would make no sense to pack up and move to a worse location with likely even fewer fans (assuming the team is still run the same way).

The 2005 team was also an issue with venue/the then owners not really giving a crap because they also owned other teams. Fisher owns just one team in the league. It's his. He has an incentive to keep it, and it keep it where it is. The A's deal is essentially not related at all to the Quakes. They may be owned by the same person, but they are operated wholly independently (you can tell because one organization knows how to put a good team on the field while the other one doesn't have a clue).

So no, I really don't think the Quakes are going anywhere unless fans totally stop showing up and never come back regardless of how well the team performs. And given how many people I've seen at games this year, I don't see that happening any time soon.

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Las Vegas Quakes? I'd be out.

don gagliardi repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It amazes me that Raiders fans follow that vagabond circus wherever it goes, including to Las Vegas. The antithesis of a community-based club.

markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1118 JazzyJ, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    I was a fan of the Raiders (and Niners) growing up in the Bay Area, but after they moved to LA, I rooted against them, and have ever since, even after they moved back (before moving away again).

I was thinking that if the Quakes moved to Las Vegas we'd be maybe the first franchise to be relocated twice, but then there's the Raiders. So I guess not. Brutal.

xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That would be great news in my book.

Again I was mostly speculating and hoping I’d be wrong.

Honestly , the Quakes belong in San Jose.

I just wish Fisher would produce a winner for once!

We have gone way too long without winning anything.

20. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Honest question Don. IF the Bills were ever to move would you still be a fan, and would the Mafia follow?

DotMPP repped this.
  21. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

The Rams have moved 3 times.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, but LA didn't lose them then get them back and then lose them again, did they? That's what I was referring to.

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2021-10-26_20-52-49.gif

DotMPP repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cannot speak for others, but I absolutely would not follow them to a new city. (When the Braves left Buffalo after the 1978 season, the NBA became dead to me.) The Bills are all about Buffalo. Right there on the helmet.

SalinasQuakesFan and markmcf8 repped this.
  25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not yet, they haven't. But give it time. Nobody like the Rams.