The official Jackson Yueill thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Social media roasted him pretty bad after those games. I wouldn't be surprised if he let it get to him. He's gotta find a way to snap out of it. Maybe a sports therapist or something.

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I did watch those games, and it was tough! He definitely needs to get his head screwed back on straight. Maybe he has the yips?!

mjlee22 repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ExtraTime discussed the USMNT vs Haiti Gold Cup game, and at around the 13th min compared Jackson Yueill (JY) and Gianluca Busio.

Charlie Davies: “JY was losing possession, was not covering ground, was getting beat on the dribble, was getting turned.. That’s why he dropped in the depth chart.”

Matt Doyle: “A lot of the stuff that JY used to do… JY used to get all over the ball and if he made a mistake he would fight to get back in the play. He would immediately want to get back on the ball. He wouldn’t let it get to him. JY for whatever reason has lost that in his last 3 appearances.”

David Gass: “JY looks uncomfortable in normal situations. I wonder how much playing in San Jose is starting to affect how different the game is for him normally. And then he comes to the US. And it’s like average half spaces. It’s the fullback playing into his feet. It’s centerbacks playing to him with a guy on his back. And he looks completely lost and he doesn’t anticipate anything that’s happening in normal spots. .… I wonder how much that is starting to wear on JY. It’s just how different the game is when he goes from one to the other.”

4. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #404 chris thebassplayer, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    His club situation has changed this season, unfortunately for him not for the better for his own development. He has to share a lot more of the ball. Remedi is taking away a lot more touches from him and on the distribution end, the expectation is to get the ball to Chofis as the attacking mid. He's turned into glorified shuttler of the ball.

It's not all blame it on Remedi...Remedi's ball hogging is simply part of it...I believe the deference to involve the high priced DP attacking mid is also part of it... Yueill is caught between the two...

His role this season is diminished compared to his role last season and it potentially could be affecting his overall game for club and country. From what I've seen so far this season for the Quakes, he seems to try those seam splitting line breaking passes far less....with a lot more 10 yard passes to Chofis.

Sciaretta was one of the few soccer analysts to bring up how the limited wing play in the Haiti game negatively affected the ability of the midfield to be more proactive and aggressive in their passing...unfortunately he really thought Yueill was quite poor defensively.

He's in a very tough place right now for club and the nats...a real test of his mettle.

I wish him the best and hope he comes through this stronger than before.

Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually didn't think Yueill played that badly, or maybe his bad play was overshadowed by the other players on the US who were so much worse.

6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    One word.

Remedi. :(

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    If it's Remedi, then what's the remedy? :confused:

Beerking and Earthshaker repped this.
  8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole team was disjointed. It looked like a bunch of players who hadn't played much together which is not uncommon at the national level.

9. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we continue to suck with Chofis and Remedi running the midfield then JY will have an opening to re-establish himself when he gets back from the gold cup.

10. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The Remedi signing was bizarre from the beginning. He's a decent player but of all the positions we needed to upgrade dmid wasn't really high on the list.

TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #411 JazzyJ, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    I actually thought it was a pretty good signing because we had 0 depth at center mid. Last year, we had to go to Luiz Felipe, who is now a USL player, and it was a big drop-off. This year we were w/o a fit Judson for several games at the beginning of the year, and we would have been completely hosed if we didn't have Remedi. And then we knew that Jackson would be gone on nats duty from time to time, so again, need the depth or we're hosed.

Finally, when all 3 are available they should all be playing in central midfield in the JuRY central midfield. Judson as the 6, Remedi as the 8, and Jackson more forward in an 8/10 role. They are all very good center mids and they should all be playing there at the same time if all available. We're not good enough for any of those 3 to be sitting on the bench. And Judson at right back is ---- meh, not a good use of his skill set.

Neuwerld and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Depth is always good but we didn’t need to replace Judson. The 500k we spent for remedi really could have been applied somewhere else. No reason for Judson to miss so many games.

Sactown Soccer and bsman repped this.
  13. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remedi has been our best player. What others call "ball hogging" I call demanding the ball and doing something with it.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's been good. Not sure I'd say best player. Maybe. But he's been good. He definitely helps us.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not just to "replace Judson". It's to have a 3rd quality CM because if one goes down or one is not fit or one (JY) goes on nats, we're screwed if we don't have a good player in that role. Remedi is a 6/8. He can take Judson's spot or JY's spot. Remedi has been twice the player or more than any of Rios, Chofis, Fierro, or Alanis have been. And for half the price. It's been a rare decent pickup for the Quakes, and whoa, what do you know, he's an MLS.veteran ....hmmm.

But more importantly, again, we are not good enough that all 3 of Judson, Remedi, and Yueill should not be playing together. But not Judson at right back. I've shown the way #JuRYcentralmidfield. Now it's up to Matias to follow :).

16. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    But essentially they did replace Judson or push him out of position. In the meantime we could have spent that money somewhere where it’s more needed. Take the 800k we paid for remedi plus whatever we paid for Nathan and we could have gotten a much better CB possibly to start the season with. That really would have made a much bigger difference as we’re one of the worst defenses in the league.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That's not a problem with the acquisition. That's a problem with roster usage. And besides, we would have been totally hosed w/o Remedi for the first 5 or 6 games before Judson was ready (and again when Yueill is not available). And then there are possible injuries. We may wind up not having all 3 available for nearly 1/2 the season.

But once again, you don't have to choose between Remedi and Judson as d-mid even when they are all available. You can play all 3 in central mid - Judson is a natural 6, Remedi a natural 8, and Jackson can be an 8/10. Chofis has not earned his keep as a CAM. He is good as a sub when you need a goal but not as a starter. You also make your defense better with Yueill essentially taking Chofis's spot.

As for CB, there's no reason we couldn't sign a CB at the beginning of the season. It should be an "and" and not an "or".

18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has certainly been on the ball a lot but he hasn't been doing much with it. We have done a lot of losing with him running the midfield. Soccer is a team sport and he's making our team worse with his selfishness. We had a good thing going last year with the JY/judson midfield and remedi has messed that up.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not Remedi's fault. It's Matias's fault for not putting his players in the best position to succeed. Judson should be the 6, Remedi the 8, and push Jackson up into an 8/10 role, Chofis off - he's a sub when you need a goal. Done.

That is a really strong central midfield. Maybe you suffer a little bit of offense (not even convinced of that) but you're going to more secure with possession and your defense will be better. Jackson has stepped up his attacking game - a little more willing to take players on with the ball, a little more willing to let a shot fly. And of course his passing is excellent - switching passes, through balls, he can do it all. He's ready for that role. Just do it, Matias. Or we can continue to struggle. Your choice.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Right, we didn't need Remedi. We needed a CB or a better version of Chofis among other things.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    i think we needed all 3. And a proven goal-scoring forward. 4. Our depth at CM was worse than it was at CB. Heck we didn’t even have Luis Felipe anymore.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Just thinking about it in a straightforward year to year way, we lost:
    • Hoesen - did not replace (Benji's a young propsect but not yet proven goal scorer)

• Vako - did not replace

• Erickson - replaced-ish, with Chofis

• Kashia - did not replace (until Nathan)

• Luiz Felipe - replaced / upgraded with Remedi

• Lima - replaced-ish, with Abecasis
    So at the start of the season, we were left with season-to-season deficits, w/o a Hoesen, Vako, or Kashia replacement. Not sure why we'd expect to be better, and I had to talk many folks down from the clouds after we started 3-1 or whatever it was. Really Remedi was our only upgrade. The other replacements are pushes or deficits. And then there are the DNP's - Did Not Replace.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remedi has worked hard. Not sure that qualifies him as the team's best player. He's been far from impressive.

Yueill's time with the the national team has made him much, much worse and I really hope he stops getting called up because it's a complete waste of time. The sooner Berhalter gets removed the sooner the US program can begin clawing its way back from being set back a decade.

24. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Jackson has looked lost almost from the start of this season. I suspect he has put a lot of pressure on himself and it might be showing up now on both SJ and USMNT. I suspect he is heavily involved in making MA's system work, even perhaps as a role model and this ruins his time with the USMNT and vice versa. This is just another example of having MA's system being the only system in SJ is cause for concern on bringing in new players and growing players.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Have to stop myself from going on a long-winded rant about why national team soccer and FIFA are things that need to be wiped off the face of the earth for the betterment of the sport.

So instead, I'll say that I really don't think the style of play under Almeyda is a huge detriment to attracting talent. That is an issue that goes back long before him and every team plays different. Players understand that any new team they go to is going to have to learn to play in a way that fits what the team's expectations are.

From the development side of things, sure, it has its issues, but in Yueill's case, specifically, it seems pretty obvious to me that his setbacks are mainly caused by his working with a hack like Berhalter. Almeyda has many flaws, but Yueill has played well in his system. Given the choice, I'd much rather he at least try to improve for the team that both pays him and that I'm actually interested in. The national team could disappear today and nothing of value would have been lost.

bsman repped this.