The Official Golden State Warriors thread (2004-2005 Season)

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Goodsport, Nov 7, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    So all your team needed was (a healthy) Baron Davis? I mean, we all knew they were a little lacking at point guard, but I'm surprised Chris Mullin didn't work harder to get a decent PG in the offseason instead of giving Derek Fisher a long term contract.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was also a bit surprised that Chris Mullin didn't do that either. As it turns out, re-signing Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy were good moves, but he probably overpaid for Derek Fisher.

Hopefully the Warriors will add at least one or two more good free agents in this coming offseason, as well as draft well (hopefully they'll get the #1 pick in the lottery ;) ), but getting Baron Davis was indeed the coup the team has been needing for years.

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Have been travelling too much and working too much, wasn't following this thread the past few weeks.

The W's should be very optimistic about next year, who'd have ever thought we'd end up with the same record as the Lakers? (and lucky us, we won the coin toss with them for the draft, so we get a higher pick than they do)

The bad news is that I don't see us getting anything significant in the lottery in terms of a big man, which seems to be the last missing piece. We don't even need a scoring big man, just a defensive/rebounding force. Don't know who might be available on the free agent market, and also don't know our cap situation to know what kind of money we have to play the free agent market.

Does anyone understand enough about the NBA cap and the W's situation to speculate what kind of moves we might legitimately make in the offseason to get a guy who would be a presence in the middle (or even at power forward)?

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I know that you can use the midlevel exception (about $5 million/year), which can be used on one player or split among multiple, and a low level, around $1 million a year.

I think the mid is enough to go out and get a half decent big man, and the Warriors might have enough pieces (Dunleavy and Tskitishvili expire in '06) for a sign & trade