The Official Florian Jungwirth thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Let’s just play 3 cb’s. Flo on the left, kashia on the right and alanis will be the ‘attacking center back’ in the middle.

[emoji3]

SoccerMan94043 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd honestly be very open to trying that. It isn't as if Thompson and Lima are doing much on the defensive side of the game right now, anyway. Might as well limit the damage they're doing to the team as much as possible.

3. lazlo325

lazlo325 Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Monterey
    My Starting XI (JT/Yueill with USOQ group):

Vega
    Kashia Alanis Flo
    TT(RWB) Judson(CDM) Lima(LWB)
    Cowell(RAM) Espinoza(LAM)
    Wondo
    Hoesen

Vako’s last two performances, Saturday’s goal notwithstanding, hasn’t impressed me. He’s back to ballhog mode.

Eriksson’s only plus is his ability to forcibly run through opponent bodies with brute force. Other than that, he slows play down.

Cowell provides a definite spark when he came on at HT on Saturday — Rios should’ve come off, not Hoesen, for that change.

4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I personally think Hoesen has been dreadful in his first two games this year, and it's a major failing of Almeyda to not realize that he's just not good enough to play out wide. I also don't recall the Hoesen/Wondolowski pairing working particularly well, so I wouldn't be eager to see it tried again.

If they lose their third game, then I think it'll just be time to bench the older players and put as many of the youngest guys on the field as possible. To me, there was no point in replacing Wondolowski with another over 30 player. It's a baffling move, to me.

Likewise, if there are any available young defenders to try, it's time to try them. I feel pretty confident that they could not do that much worse than allowing 7 goals at home in two games. The whole team has been pathetic in their execution, and none of the starting players are likely to get better. Every single one is at peak age or older. They've had their chance and squandered it. Time to make good on the promise of giving time to younger talent.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes' first draft pick from Stanford is a young defender. No "ifs" about it.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could say this about nearly all of our players. Vega has been terrible. Rios has been terrible. Lima has been weak at best. Magnus hasn't been good enough, but he's trying at least. Vako has been up and down, mostly down.

We've been shitte, no doubt about it.

This team needs a lot of changes, coach might be one of them. (GM too.) (Owner needs to go for certain.)

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see any reason other than injury or losing a step on why Florian shouldn't be starting. If he is exactly as he was last season, he should be playing.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Almeyda is probably afraid the defense will get ripped to shreds in the air (which they did anyway). Flo played with either Kashia or Cummings last year. He’s was always paired with a big guy. Alanis is listed as bigger than Kashia but that isn’t true.

9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #159 hc897, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Yeah, big is one of those descriptor's that doesn't mean much on its own. He certainly doesn't appear to have the same build as Kashia in terms of upper body muscle. But not sure that matter all that much. What killed both Kashia and Alanis in their first two games was poor positioning. It doesn't matter how tall or big you are if you don't know where you're supposed to be.

I do think Jungwirth has an edge over Kashia in this respect, certainly. What makes me think Jungwirth's effect would be limited is that he often gets outplayed in key areas. He can show up in the right place, but then just gets blown by because he over commits or just plain isn't fast enough.

Really, none of us should have any confidence in the defenders, both because they aren't especially good defenders in their own right, but also because Almeyda hasn't organized the team in a way that allows them to defend well. Two games now and we've seen zero defending in the center of the field.

When you expose the center of the field the way they've done, you're going to make your life significantly more challenging than it should be. If the team converted a lot of their scoring chances, I'd say maybe you could get away with it. But when you can't even get shots on frame from 18 or 20 yards out, you aren't going to score a lot of goals. If you aren't scoring goals and litter the field with players that can't or won't defend, you aren't going to win games.

Could Jungwirth help the team were he to play? Yes, maybe a little. Is it going to matter in the long run if there aren't more significant changes than that? Not really, no. It's actually amazing how much progress the team lost from 2019 to 2020, but we saw it starting to happen late last season. Almeyda's system isn't magic, and it's even less so if he continues down the same stubborn path that proves won't work.

Maybe there's something in the water in San Jose that makes every front office person and coach a total coward with regard to trying new things, but it's baffling how terrible the team has looked so far this year. I certainly think Jungwirth should get a shot at starting again so long as he's fit given the circumstances, but it's hard for me to believe anything real will change. The problem most squarely rests with Fioranelli's horrible talent evaluation. When he pictures a soccer game in his mind, I really wonder what that picture looks like. Of course, what I fear is that there's no picture at all, which would explain what we've been watching since he took control of the team.

markmcf8 repped this.
  10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Opara out jumped both I believe. I doubt Florian would be beaten like that twice or even once.

I still say play Flo in the midfield. Again , although I like Lima, I doubt he will be worse than he has been.

12. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    do we have more CBs on the team? we should play all of the registered CBs inside our box to protect Vega and the 0-0 draw from kick off. Let Magnus, Hosen, Vako, Rios or whoever do whatever they are doing around the opposite box or any random location on the other half pretending they are playing attacking soccer.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Ike Opara is a BEAST in the air. Did you see his 'hang time' on the first (I think) goal? He defies gravity.

When the Quakes drafted him out of college I remember a pic of him in a college game where his hips were elevated about the defenders head. The guys has springs for legs.

Nobody can defend that.

markmcf8, tenfourteen and don gagliardi repped this.
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #164 falvo, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Yeah. Too bad Opara was always injured while he was with the Quakes. I think at the time their only choice was to let him go.

He has won defender of the year twice but I still retain that he will not have won anything had he remained here.

mjlee22 repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent post, and I feel your pain.

Go Quakes!!
    We Suck!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

16. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I can think of someone who would disagree:

upload_2020-4-10_13-3-10.png

[​IMG]

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J Santos and Quakes05 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting seeing that photo now. Quincy is now pretty much out of the game and Ibra is leading AC Milan to first place while leading the Serie A in scoring...

As for Florian, I always thought he was a steady defender but he along with the rest of the defense seemed to implode in the last few years with those blowout losses. You want to blame the GK at first but the defense was also at fault. Glad he got defender of the year though...

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm betting that if Quincy was 6'5" he'd still be playing...

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highly recommend this interview with Flo. Lots of good insights, including how bad the team Chemistry was under Stahre.

This is part 2... you'll need to dig a bit for part 1.

22. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part 1 was easy to find - just go to the youtube channel and click Videos.

23. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes