The Official Florian Jungwirth thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 2, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ike Opara is up for it again? This would make his 2nd in the last three years! Too bad he was always injured with the Quakes....

As for Florian, he really has been a workhorse since April. I didn't understand why he wasn't featured in March as they sure could have used him. I don't follow other teams closely enough so I can't judge but Jungwirth certainly deserves a mentions for his stellar play.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow!

This is actually an impressive statistic!

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You couldn't tell he was good until you saw the stats?

mjlee22 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too would like to know why Florian sat the first 4 (?) games, why Kashia was ranked above him in the beginning of the season.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had heard a rumor that he didn’t get along with the direction of the club either in coaching style or management. Maybe it was about his contract? Not sure really but I guess they ironed out their differences.

Initially anyway , from what I recall, no one really knew how to play the man to man counterattacking style. That may have been another reason on why he wasn’t playing.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you referring to Flo’s problems with Stahre’s staff, or are you saying Flo didn’t like Almeyda’s approach initially?

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #132 falvo, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Not sure exactly but I believe in regards to the club's direction overall. By that point or in March, I Stahre's staff as well as holdovers Steve Ralston were gone. There was a specific reason on why he wasn't playing and I had heard they all needed to sit down and talk. Guess they did and Florian has now become one of the best defenders in the league.

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My guess would be that Kashia and Cummings outperformed him in training up to that point. Don't forget that Jungwirth's performances in 2018 were frequently abysmal. That isn't unique to him, but it was not obvious that he would regain his form and be a good defender in 2019.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SeaJayBee, Antonio2020, davez and 4 others repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Thank goodness!! One of our best players.

12. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great news. Flo is a gamer...super smart with the heart of a lion. He's been a gamer from day one. He never changed...the surrounding team at times was toxic and inept...and as a defender, he had to deal with a steaming no win mess.

He was outspoken when he needed to be and was subsequently minimized by a bunch of fools.

So glad to see him survive the BS and flourish under Almeyda.

TyffaneeSue and davez repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remember not to insult anyone on BigSoccer. :)

sj_oldtimer repped this.
  14. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    My offseason checklist was:

1. Keep Almeyda (ACCOMPLISHED)
    2. Resign Wondo (ACCOMPLISHED)
    3. Bring back Espinozza (PENDING?)
    4. Resign Jungwrith (ACCOMPLISHED)
    5. Bring in new attacking forward to complement Wondo.
    6. Bring in playmaking MF
    7. Bring in younger, faster CB 1
    8. Bring in new left back
    9. Draft a good CB for depth

OK 3 (of 9) primary objectives accomplished. I think Espinozza still possible before expansion draft day. The others logically should follow the draft.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are two separate issues. One is Flo's contribution on the field. For the most part -- certainly this season -- he's been outstanding. There was a brief period in 2018 when he was not doing well, the team was in tatters, and he made some caustic comments that upset a lot of people including those of us who have been dedicated Flo fans.

That wasn't about his potential but rather, about calling out teammates. Most (all) of us would have been fine if he'd said the team needed to shake the small team mentality, but in a team sport, you don't turn on your teammates in public. That was the issue, and maybe something got lost in translation.

JazzyJ repped this.
  16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Flo was our player of the year last season. So glad he's sticking around.

17. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was calling out idiotic play of the team.... and the coaches for not holding players accountable for boneheaded decisions and lack of effort on the field....and only after it had reached a ridiculous level after a prolonged period of time...well beyond critical mass meltdown. I'm sure he felt frustrated that shitshow was allowed to roll on with nobody held accountable for it.

It was a last resort cry for help when nothing was being done.

He isn't a "pop off" guy at the first sign of trouble. He was a captain in the Bund, he knows the do and don'ts of team chemistry and how to motivate teammates.

When he said we play like children, he was absolutely right...it was spot on and it was a big time poke at the coaching staff to get their collective tactical shit together and bench players who had tuned out and given up. He played hard through it all and gave his best effort. Until he was benched for basically telling the truth.

He was right all along.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I liked Flo a lot but he seemed to slow down a bit during the losing streak at the end of the season. A left back and a proven center mid and stopper would be great to have and compliment him but not sure if they are easy to get. Good ones from abroad will have already been established in their clubs and the younger ones won’t come if they are aspiring to play in big leagues. No one knew Espinoza last year so maybe Almeyda can come up or find some more hidden gems like him?

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just like last year , Florian is starting out on the bench.

Kashia was directly responsible for the pk and I think another goal or two. Even though Florian Jungwirth is a little slower, he is a much better player in my opinion than Kashia. If Almeyda really wants Kashia in the back, I’d start Flo in midfield over Lima. He can’t do any worse than anyone else did yesterday...

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda should not want to start Kashia in front of Flo. If he does, that’s a problem.

Why in the f@#$ are we not playing the same system we played last season? If continuity was supposed to be our strength, then why change the formation and positional responsibilities? What’s up with our coach?

The honeymoon is over. I want results, right now, not later. Our team is crap and our “magical” coach’s decision making is head scratching at best. Every f@#$ing year we start off like our guys just met each other for the first time. Every f@#$ing year we come out of pre-season unprepared. I’m sick to death of this shit.

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

falvo, bsman and Scott Rohde repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Almeyda did say last night after the game that Kashia was in front of Flo in the pecking order.

Granted none of us know Jungwirth's current form as we haven't seen him in 5 months but I doubt he has lost that much from 2019.

24. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    October they sign him to long term deal.....and by March he's in Matias's dog house......WTF? :eek:

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    It may be a stretch to say he's in the doghouse. Almeyda's just saying that Kashia is better them him at RCB and Alanis if better at LCB. To me the 'doghouse' implies he's done something to piss off Almeyda which limits his playing time. I doubt that is the case.

My money says that Flo + Alanis is better than Kashia + Alanis, but they aren't paying me Almeyda's salary.