The Official Florian Jungwirth thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it originally a Freudian slip or was it simply a typo (just curious)? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea of holding on to Jackson as an asset for appreciation will not pan out. He is 24. Euro clubs don’t bring a 24 year old over to develop. They’re snapping up 17-20 year olds for big amounts because there is more time for a big upside. Unless Jackson suddenly becomes Superman, I’m afraid his window is starting to close, and by next year he is mini-Wondo or the guy who used to play on the same team as Cade Cowell.

Jackson should have pushed to be traded.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #253 JazzyJ, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    It's a no-lose situation though. If there aren't good offers coming in from overseas, you've got one of the best #8's in MLS for possibly 10 more years, for relatively cheap and w/o taking an intl slot. You say Jack may become a "mini-Wondo", well, I think Wondo turned out to be an incredible investment for the Quakes, one of the best investments - performance / cost, in the history of the league. To acquire an intl striker to score as many goals as Wondo did, you might have to spend say $3-4 mil. Now multiply that by 12 years, and Wondo has saved you something like $40 mil. Now that's a valuable MLS player!

So we have to think carefully about players in terms of value. It's performance over cost, but also longevity, upside, and all of those considerations as well. How good is the player, what is his cost, how many more good years does he likely have left, does he still have upside, does he take an intl slot, etc. I mean you wouldn't bother to do a transfer anyway if the price isn't high enough because the player is that valuable to you in hand.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta give some to get some. I like Flo a lot, but clearly we made a swing for the fence move and a very drastic change. I at least applaud that mindset because what we were doing, Flo included, was not working

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #255 falvo, Aug 7, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Looking at this trade more in detail , unless a miracle happens , the season is pretty much tanked. Therefore , getting rid of Jungwirth (who will be 33 in January) was a fairly smart move.

If Almeyda ends up staying on next season, it's obvious his guy will be Nathan.

If that is the case, potentially the Quakes can get up to $300k depending on performance-based incentives..

It doesn't look like much but for this league with all the crazy salary cap rules etc, that could be worth a lot for a player who won't be playing much.

6. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes, Flo. You played hard for the team.

7. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flo was on the bench tonight for Vancouver game against LA, did not get any minutes.....going to be odd seeing him as an opponent next Friday.

mjlee22, bsman and LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late to the party. Similar to most, I always appreciated his commitment, work rate, and being a team player. My wife even won a pair of his boots from one of the Quakes silent auctions a couple years ago. Preferably, I would have liked to see him stay as a backup option, but also, I understand the trade.

Long term, I didn't see him as part of the club. As a DM, he lacked quickness and wasn't really that good of a passer. As a center defense, he didn't read the game that well and gave way too much space while marking.

We need to get better as team. I think the last three trades have been a start.

davez repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    They're saving him for Friday.

10. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  11. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw Flo announced his retirement.

I always liked him

He said his next goal is to coach an EPL team.

Maybe he’ll coach Quakes for a season or 2 as he works his way up the coaching ladder.

12. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I always like him as well, he always gave everything he had to the team and fans.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our coaching staff is awfully full right now, but maybe he can CBs part of the Quakes 2 coaching staff? I’d love for us to get him back as a coach. His passion would be a great influence on the team.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He doesn't care that much for SJ - called it boring :-(.

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I saw a post here, I was hoping Flo was coming back, but I guess not.

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish him well in "retirement"! I can see him being a good coach (positive, team focused, etc.).

On a side note, my wife won a pair of his cleats at one of the Quakes auctions. I thought that it was weird to get a pair of cleats.

vamanoshasta repped this.
  17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Flo a lot of luck. He was so honest and willing to speak up. i will always be a fan. Wouldn’t it be great if he became the next Juergen Klopp. :)

vamanoshasta, TyffaneeSue and davez repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jungwith stall circa 2017.jpg

Flo's locker, circa 2017.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    DPG in bootroom circa 2016.jpg
    Photo taken by Flo during my locker room tour, circa 2017.

(I don't think I understood the concept of selfies at the time, or I would have asked him to take a selfie with both of us in it.:))

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Che bel Signore!

Distinti Saluti Signor Avvocato!

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Flo was so dialed in to what needed to happen at any given moment on the field... he read the game at the highest level...extreme captain material...He was outspoken and honest...and called out Bullshit that was ultimately detrimental and toxic to the team...which Imo, made him a great leader...and he was proven right in the long run...one of my favorite players...He was a true Quake.

Wish him well, but bummed he's with Vanc. I wish he could be involved with our academy.

He has, as the astronauts say, "the Right Stuff" He's going to be a great coach.

TyffaneeSue, davez and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NKotB calling.

edit: I mistakenly hit play to remember what this song sounded like. My god is it awful. Not as bad as some of the most recent pop songs, but my god it was bad.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #274 JazzyJ, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    I liked Flo but IMO him saying, during the 2018 season, that the team didn’t have good enough players to be competitive was the wrong thing to say. Doesn’t matter if it was true - it is poor leadership to publicly disparage your teammates. If it’s a problem he wants to help solve he could have had discussions with Jesse about it. Or even Fish - if he could get his ear. And besides I’m not sure if it was even true. We made the playoffs the previous year with mostly the same team.

The biggest problem that year was bad coaching. Stahre was by far the worst coach the Quakes have had since restart. I think he was partly trying to protect / defend Stahre with his comments. But Stahre didn’t warrant a defense, and especially a defense that says that you do not believe in your teammates. Stahre was very poor.

But again I liked Flo and I think he could be a good coach. But at the same time he screwed up there in 2018 with those comments..

SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re like that American who ran into Queen Elizabeth out in the countryside and asked her to take a picture of him.

don gagliardi repped this.