The Official "Failed Messiah" Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Sep 20, 2003.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Ok, have at it. The lone bright spot this year has been the person we all made fun of before the season started, the rest, well, sucked.

Sorry to see you go Glenn, we can't put the blame all on you. But someone has to go.

Adios,
    Jason Kostakopoulos
    BigSoccer Moderator, and still a believer in you.

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glenn is great at building squads, bringing in talented youngsters (eventually) and encouraging good passing football, he'd be a natural choice to take over from David Pleat as Director of Football when Pleaty retires.

But as a manager it's been an unfortunate failure. The team leaks goals because it does not function as a unit and has no fighting spirit other than basic pride. This failing is unfortunately down to the manager, for not fostering team spirit and providing inspirational leadership or allowing leaders to emerge in the team. The contrast between us and teams like Fulham and Southampton is marked. They don't have better players by any means, but they're much better teams.

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    to be fair though, he's not really doing much worse than any other manager we've had in the last decade.

let's face it spurs are a mid-table side who produce a pretty exciting cup run once every 5 or 10 years. we don't have a chance of winning the premiership and barring all of football becoming a rich mans pissing contest i don't see that we ever will.

with that in mind, who to bring in? martin o'neil would just do a leicester on us, performing beyond our capabilities and when man utd comes calling we'd crash and burn like leicester.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But over the last decade, we have not have a group of qulaity youngsters like we have now. There have been a couple here and there, but not as a group. Hoddle and Pleat have done well at bringing in youngsters with talent, but it is Hoddles fault that they are not performing. Sacrafice the cup and get a send him on his way.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With our squad, fanbase and financial muscle we should be right in there at 6th place. Spurs should not be a 10th place club, even though our performances over the past six months make even that look flattering.

Unfortunately Hoddle cannot take our potential and make the most of it. It's time to seriously think about putting Hughton and Pleat in charge and hunt for a new manager. I imagine that duo would be more than capable of holding things together, so that we can find someone with great qualities. No need for a sudden appointment.

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a great article, sums up exactly how those bastards in the media feel about Hodd and how well the fans have backed him at the games. The media just want to see blood.

I think the Coventry game is a make or break, lost it and I think he will be relieved immediately. Win it and I think they'll at least wait until January before replacing him, unless we're in the relegation zone and look in danger of going down.

8. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now what do i do with my hoddle spurs shirt? :(

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Keep it. He is, after all, one of the best players in Tottenham history.