The Official DC United vs. San Jose Earthquakes POST-Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Sep 13, 2003.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    No flames , no trolls

2. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    As Thomas Rongen is saying on TV, "The best start by DCUnited this year."

DCU up 1-0 on a goal by EARNIE STEWART!!!!!

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Dang straight! Excellent start by DC. Let's hope we continue this throughout the game.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Mutts are down a goal early. Results stay the same, we're only a point behind with two games head-to-head remaining. We shall overcome!

5. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Marco and Ray apparently deciding to make me eat a heaping portion of raw Crow.

This is probably our best 15 minutes all year other than the freakish, out-of-body experience at the end of the New England comeback.

Stewart and Cerritos definitely have an understanding and the team is playing some really nice footy.

[[dear god, now Etch has got himself hurt DEFENDING]]

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Now 2-1 United with 5 min. left. Mutts trailing 2-1 with 5 min. left also.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Congratulations on the hard-fought 2-1 win. :(

-G

8. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, well done DC. Ya'll came out and played us straight up. Attacking from the get go. Sounded like a fun, exciting game to be at. Maybe we'll see ya'll again in the playoffs.

9. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    --Etch played pretty well for 50 minutes
    --Convey played well for 40 minutes
    --Olsen should have been subbed, he had nothing and Roner torched him down the sideline late
    --Very good win
    --Where was Landon?
    --Stewart and Cerritos is a nice pairing
    --Getting Stoich back as a sub will really add something
    --We're over .500 for the first time in four years

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's official. We won, Mutts lost! Gained 3 points and now trail by 1 in the standings.

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    It's a great day!

12. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Wow! I'm very happy with this one. We just controlled the game and got three points versus the undisputed best team in MLS right now.

Sure we got a little luck with Olsen's goal, but that's what happens when you put the ball on frame!!!

I agree with the "Where was Donovan?" It's like he wasn't even out there. At the end of the game, down a goal, he's playing 45-50 yards from goal.

Oh yeah, and EARNIE! Way to take that zero out of the goals column. It looks as though Earnie and Ronald like their pairing up front.

It's nice to get a win while I'm stuck out here in Quakes territory. One point out of second. The Battle Royale with the Metros to come!

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    -Can't believe Robinson didn't get a yellow card for throwing Olsen down right in front of Stott at the end there.

-From the TV it looked like Jamil Walker was offside by a fair amount on his goal.

-After several really good saves by Onstead, it looked like he gave up a soft one to Olsen for the game winner. It looked to me that Onstead should have had it covered but the ball just skipped off the turf past him.

-Olsen MOTM? Very possible. I loved how he constantly pinched in to the middle. Hard to say as several DCU players had good games and all of them had their moments:

Stewart and Cerritos running up front were consistantly dangerous.

Petke was just a rock on defense.

Etcheverry was his liveliest all year and his passes were his best too. Hope his calf injury isn't serious.

-I was suprised at the lack of subs by Hudson. I thought Q2 looked ready to be pulled, but it never happened.

14. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson vs Stoichkov?

WTF in minute 69? Stoichkov shouts instructions and points downfiled, then Hudson turns on him and shouts "shut the f__ up" very plainly on TV.

Forget Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, replace the Osbornes with the Hudson show.

15. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Congrats. DC outplayed our boys. Nice ball movement and ubiquitous pressure. Great to see Cerritos make a comeback, he works well with Stewart. Good luck in the playoff hunt.

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Re: Hudson vs Stoichkov?

Yeah, that was wild! Hope the folks who went to the game get to see that!

17. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA

One of the better comments by the Quakes PBP guy (who I'm not a big fan of) was after Prideaux was clearly cursing at the ref: "Guess he won't be auditioning for the family program."

He was topped later when Walker got hit in the nuts and John Doyle comments: "Soccer isn't meant to be played by that part of the body."

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, I think he said "Shut up and sit the f' down." Then I couldn't hear.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp No it's not. :(

20. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    It depends how you look at it. You see it as three points empty, and I see it as three points full.

21. Ashavan

Ashavan New Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Wow, what a great game. Everyone played well. The defense was tight, the midfielders were where they needed to be at the right times, and the counterattack was very menacing for once. As much as I had my doubts at the time and was sad to see Ali Curtis go, you have to admit this Cerritos thing is working pretty well so far. Even the San Jose goal was worth it, because it made Olsen's goal so much sweeter. Good job, DC.

22. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington

Stoich was having a go at either Etcheverry or the opposing bench and Hudson told hit to stop.

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only hearing from the radio, but I think he was trying to get something going from midfield. He's usually pretty good running and attacking from 30, 40 yards out. Apparently ya'll had like 9 players back in the box.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The opposing bench I think. Certainly not Etch though.

25. dcuni_ted

dcuni_ted Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT A GAME

2-1 and now were 1 point out of 2nd place and DC starting to come together so lets hope we keep that up