The Official Clemson v UNC Prematch Thread [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by FIXXXER, Oct 27, 2002.

1. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    It seems that two of the most boisterous groups on this board have been Clemson fans and UNC fans, even though UNC fans tend to disappear for long spells after losses, which has been a large part of this season.

UNC has a game at UNC-Wilmington on Tuesday while the Tigers play at Davidon on Wednesday leading up to the 2pm game on Sunday at Historic Riggs Field.

Anybody plan to be there??? FIXXXER is taking the day off from work and will most certainly be there to see the defending national champions at Riggs Field!

2. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Wish I could be there, but I'll certainly read your post following the match. Should be a good one, as it usually is. Last year's game in Chapel Hill was very exciting, and I expect that'll be the case Sunday.

3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Should most certainly be exciting. Hopefully UNC comes in playing well after the draw with Wake, what should be considered a good result for them. Hopefully both teams will also have a lot of their injuries taken care of and we will see two teams at full strength.

4. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I'm sure all the Clemson fans on this board, and there are plenty of them, will feel pretty confident heading into this game. Clemson only has 2 losses compared to 5 for UNC. And they are playing at home, so that gives an advantage. The two teams split last year, with UNC winning 1-0 at home and Clemson winning in the semifinals of the ACC tourney on their way to the tournament championship. UNC never lost again after that match on their way to the NCAA title.

But all that is in the past, and what matters is how the two teams match up this year.

I find it interesting that UNC and Clemson not only have exactly the same record in the ACC, but have the same results vs. the same opponents.

Wins vs. UVA and State
    Draw vs. Wake
    Losses vs. Maryland and Duke

This, despite UNC's non-conference losses, seems to suggest that UNC and Clemson are very even. Clemson will be ranked much higher in the polls(UNC may or may not even be ranked), but I think it's safe to say that the two teams are much closer in actual talent than the disparity in the rankings suggests. It should be a classic, and I look forward to more discussion and finally the game on Sunday.

5. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Good info, didn't realize that. I do think playing at home will give the Tigers the advantage. The teams proved they were even last year with both teams winning by 1 goal at there home field. My hopes are that tendency continues.

Do you plan to be there??

6. texas two-footer

texas two-footer New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIXXXER pull the tigers through for us...

unfortunately i won't be able to make the game. the youth team i coach is playing in a tournament in charleston this weekend...

that being said, FIXXXER, say hi to all the boys for me and give UNC the old "how's your father?"

i'm sure you know what i mean my friend.

ttf

7. UNC trainer could be MVP

Seems health of UNC side is the biggest factor. Seems they are a little thin in the ranks this year. The starting 11, when in tack, appear to be competitive at a high level. After that level of play seems to drop.

With UNC healthy, a close match, but Clemson prevailing by at most 2 goals. If UNC isn't healthy look for Clemson to have a comforatble win whatever the score turns out.

8. Jenagrantfan

Jenagrantfan New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    so I'm guessing texas two footer and Fix both played at Clemson? I think Texas two footer already told us he did or am I wrong? Not worried about Riggs, its the best field in the ACC, way too intense to hear the crowd, both teams will be at their best. It'll be a damn good game.

9. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    One interesting matchup will be Marcus Storey and Ricky Lewis. The two know each other from playing with the same club team in Texas...last year there were several great confrontations during the game in Chapel Hill. Lewis has been shifted to the right back spot this year, but against Wake, Storey played on the left, so it's shaping up as quite a matchup. Some have said that Lewis has been reluctant to go forward this year, and if he faces Storey's speed, he may be even more reluctant. It'll surely be interesting.

10. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    This was a big matchup last year, which quite honestly, went to Lewis. If I'm UNC and Storey is my go-to guy, I find some way to keep Lewis away from him.

I don't think Lewis is reluctant to go forward, but is just the victim of circumstance. He may have been asked to stay at home more b/c of his speed in the back, but I have to believe he is getting forward when he can. I do remember him having a beautiful assist to Ian Fuller last year in the ACC semi's, so keep your eyes on him.

11. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Storey should be the least of Lewis' worries. Storey has seven goals this season, but only one of those has been against an ACC opponent. That goal was against NC State--does that count? His other goals have been against Long Island (1), Campbell (2), Elon (2), and Navy (1). Storey is fast, but he's not dangerous.

12. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Got to agree with K1v1n on this. Clemson needs to worry about Kneipper and Testo up front, and Crawford has been doing a good job as the playmaker. Kneipper has proven that he has a knack for finding the net, against ACC foes.

13. run2soccer

run2soccer New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Greensboro
    unc defense

I'm hearing about kinks in the UNC defense. Haven't been able to get to a game this year. Is defense their problem?

Anyone hearing that Eddie Robinson getting a shot at the national team? Does anyone remember him at unc? Does he remember being at unc? cruel, but talk to those that know.

My take on the game. If trevor was at unc, or any other bigtime program anywhere near where college kids would want to go to school, he would be the next Arena. (note to Clemson fans, you have a great school with tremendous support, but put yourself in position of a highly recruited player, trevor has a tough sell getting guys to spend 4 years at Clemson, SC.). So give Clemson edge on coach, great recuirter, great coach, great person. Bolowich is certainly at a high level, Trevor just a notch above. BUT, Bolowich seems to be much better as the hunter instead of the hunted. Played that role to a NCAA championship last yaer, after years of disapointments with "loaded" teams. So maybe the edge is a little less. UNC needs this game. I agree with earlier post that health of UNC is a big factor, but still, if Bolowich convinces his side the game is a must....

Would love to be at Riggs for this one. My heart is with Carolina, my wallet is with the Tigers. But don't hiccup Clemson, or it might be a "blue afternoon" for you.

14. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    This is true...and Storey didn't have any goals in the ACC games last year. But it is unquestionable that he has a huge impact on the game, even if he doesn't score a goal. First of all, his ability to beat people off the dribble is both demoralizing to the other team, and inspiring to his own. Also, he has the ability to beat defenders and draw fouls...as seen in the NCAA title game when he drew the penalty that Jackson smashed home. All it may take is for Storey to get around a defender once, get in the box and get taken down to get UNC a penalty...now if they could only hit one (Testo missed vs. NC State when Storey drew the penalty)

I agree that Clemson must watch Testo, Kneipper, and Crawford. But with Storey on the outside, Lewis will have his hands full.

15. comettiger

comettiger Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Tigers Defense

Ricky is a great defender who is playing a team game this year. The entire defensive unit has been strong with Chase Hilgenbrinck, Nick Rivera, and Justin Moore playing very solid in the back.

What I have noticed this year is it is not just one defender making runs up front with Clemson this year. Chase as well as Ricky and Justin are all taking opportunities while the other defenders stay back.

I have no doubt the defense for the Tigers can and will take care of Carolina on Sunday and I look forward to seeing a great game.

16. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    UNC defeats UNCW 3-0 on Tuesday night...goal and an assist by Matt Crawford, the most underrated player in the ACC. 5 days until the big game.

17. dcdog12

dcdog12 New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    SC
    clemson / UNC

i was at the clemson and maryland game and i have to say that clemson should have won. i think that maryland got a crap goal. i believe that the guy was offsides, but oh well. that is how soccer goes.

for the clemson / UNC game: this game is all clemson. with a lot of alumni going in for that game, the guys will be pumped up. i believe that it is alumni or reunion weekend for the tigers. fixxxer, do you know any of the guys that are going to be in for that game? how about you texas two footers. since you both played there, i'm sure you know.

there was a good crowd for clemson at the maryland game, but look for the tigers this weekend to brake open the scoring and win around 4-1 or something like that.

thanks

18. moodifier_newcastle

moodifier_newcastle New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    SC
    The result...

Enough talk about records and such, what will the result be?

19. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I posted this on a different thread, but thought it would pertain here.

I would be shocked, apalled, astonished...if either Clemson or UNC wins by more than 2 goals. I expect the game to be tight and probably a one goal result either way, or maybe even a draw. UNC has to be feeling good after the draw with Wake...though it will be a tough match because its at Riggs, the teams are really so close that a blowout like the one that dcdog suggests simply is unlikely to happen.

20. michelobultra

michelobultra New Member

Sep 11, 2002

you don't have to score goals to be dangerous.....there are plenty of players who don't score, but provide defenders such as lewis, stokes, and oliver with all they can handle, storey being one of them....

21. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Agreed, but if he was creating goals he'd at least be getting more assists. I've seen him play nine times this year--my opinion is that he's not getting it done. Most the times he has the ball he just dribbles until he loses it.

22. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Storey is much more composed and a better overall player this year compared to last. Even though he was ACC Rookie of the Year last year, he didn't score a goal in ACC play. He will lose the ball on the dribble, but he will also beat people off the dribble, a skill that not many possess. It only takes once for him to get by you...

23. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Prediction: Clemson 2 - UNC 1

I've seen Storey play three times - and I agree with K1V1N. He's fast and appears dangerous but he is not particularly productive. Watch Dimelon Westfield - he is REALLY fast, dangerous, composed and he FINISHES.

24. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    So Clemson draws with Davidson 1-1. I guess Davidson might not be as bad as they were made out to be when UNC lost to them early on. Westfield sat out for Clemson, apparently some sort of hammie injury. Is this serious, something that would hinder his being able to play on Sunday?

25. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Cantona - I hope we won't get in trouble again for speculating on injuries :)

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone knows the extent of his injury. If it's minor, I'd say he has an outside chance. His game is speed and that hamstring needs to be right for him to be effective. I think first and foremost, you want him well, for late November, early December - so don't do anything to jeopardize that. Secondly, as a coach, you don't really want a player on the field that is missing his best attribute, that is if you have any depth a t all.

No excuses for the Davidson game. I'm always said that you have to be deeper than one player and it was good to hear that Jones stepped up for the goal. Davidson has been a giant killer this season, huh? It's hard to feel good about the draw, but if lessons are learned and it helps the team later, then I can most certainly live with that.

Excited for the game Sunday. Cantona, will you be in attendance?