The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jetdog9, mjlee22 and bostero24 repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  4. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Happy for Cade, nice first time shot...Okay, I'll say it, where the hell was that when he was with the Quakes...

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing striker for them. That's a big help. Also, a change of scenery often helps a player.

Go Quakesfans!!

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He usually plays on the outside like he did with the Quakes, either right or left side. Occasionally he’ll move to the center late in a game depending on the mix of players and game state. He still almost always fails in his attempt to beat a defender or two in from the wing, just like he did with the Quakes - either he loses the ball or he plays a bad final ball. The success he’s had has been when he’s drifted centrally and made little central runs behind the D and he’s played thru.

That said I would not conclude that “the Quakes should have played him at CF”. Chivas’s attack is just more up the middle whereas ours almost always comes from the sides. Plus Chivas has a lot of technical players who can feed him the ball.

Finally he hasn’t exactly been killing it. He’s had 1 goal and I think 0a in Liga MX games, probably about 9 now. His other 2 goals were in a concacaf game against a clearly inferior opponent - Forge FC. from Canada. That said it seems the team likes him and is finding him useful which is great for him. He is easily the worst technical player on Chivas but I think that he’ll improve that just almost by osmosis. And that’ll be great for his game.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Cade started for Chivas against Cruz Azul on the outside (not sure if right or left), but they got smoked 3-0.

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forever a Quake

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "For the first time Cade Cowell received boos in Chivas"

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boysinblue repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Chivas has had a bad run of form. Got hammered by Club America in the last game - CONCACAF, at home. Hammered by I think Cruz Azul before that, and now at home to Leon when they didn't score until a late penalty. Chicharito also started. Doesn't surprise me that they're looking for a scapegoat.

12. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cowell sucks.

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s so sad, but FK it was so predictable.
    Maybe this is another strike to hold against Chris Leitch… might have destroyed what little career Cade could have had. I always thought Cade could have been the next… Kenny Cooper. :rolleyes: (Except Cade couldn’t head the ball)

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Too early to declare Cade in Chivas a failure. He’s had ups and downs. One minute he’s El Vaquero getting pony rides from his teammates. The next he’s the goat. I mean the goat goat. As I’ve been saying Cade is by far the worst player technically on Chivas. But he has a bit of physicality that maybe they could use if he gets better technically. I feel like he’s going to get better technically just by osmosis. The question is how much. For now I’m sure Chicharito is going to get frustrated playing with him and may even lobby to put him more frequently on the bench.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Cade’s sake, i hope you’re right.

16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice part is that Cade won't understand it when Chicharito is lobbying.

JazzyJ repped this.
  17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure Cade will recognize when Chicharito does the clown dance….

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2418 JazzyJ, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    I watched the game in which Cade was booed off the field (vs. Leon at Chivas). Hoo boy, he was bad.

Lots of awful first touches, lost the ball many times. When he had a chance near goal it was the head-scratching decision / execution again. On one play he was leading a break more or less down the middle of the field heading into the final 3rd, had a guy wide open racing to his right. He waited too long to pass (muy largo!) and then when it looked like he was going to pass he hit a perplexing slow roller straight to the keeper instead. :confused: You just have no idea what he's thinking on those kinds of plays. Does he just panic and his brain misfires?

On another play he had the ball on the side of the box, Chicharito beckoning, and he made several back and forth moves to try to lose his defender, then - awful touch and the ball speeds out embarrassingly over the end line. Then again, ball on the left wing, Chicharito with hands out - "play it here!" and he instead takes a shot that goes 5 yards wide. Then later, leading on a promising break, loses the ball to the first defender.

But the worst play of all was a long switching pass to him on the left wing. He's got loads of space and the ball is accurate. Yet somehow he completely whiffs on the trap and the ball flies out of bounds untouched! Again, :confused:. That got the crowd going with the jeers, and then when he came out 5 minutes or so later, they let him have it pretty good.

Chicharito must be frustrated. He's not getting any service. Not just from Cade but not much from anybody. Not surprisingly there is 0 chemistry between him and Cade, and for a while in the 2nd half they were the "forward pair".

19. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    He's not going to change into this amazing player just 3-4 months after leaving us. He should've gone to a more kick & run league (championship English 2nd).
    I hope their sitting down with him everyday and going over film of his decision making in the final third, to me it's most glaring issue with him. Sure his touch is not great but it should come eventually with repetition of game play.... He normally out runs & muscles every defense but it's the end product that's absolutely horrible as you mentioned Jazzy.

bsman repped this.
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah the decision-making with his final ball is still his biggest problem, worse than his touch. The decision / execution is so bad you just don’t know what he’s thinking. Did he panic in the end and his brain kind of disconnects or did he intend to do something reasonable and he misfired. I tend to think it’s mostly psychological because he tends to blow the easier play but sometimes makes difficult plays. Like the pressure is not on him for the difficult plays and he just reacts rather than over-thinking. Pretty surprised that he’s gotten so much playing time so far.

21. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

Yes, I'd agree that's mostly physiological.
    Anyone who's played soccer even in pick up games there are spots on the field where the pressure is felt much higher and what choices you make are the difference.
    For a defender obviously being in your own box being pinned back is their moment.
    For forwards as you get into the final third is extremely important what you do and he's probably overthinking every second as he approaches the opponents goal. He also probably feels like HE needs to finish his own plays as opposed to letting the game unfold naturally with other players around him.
    Who knows what he's really going through his mind at those moments but it's definitely screwing with his thinking (over thinking ?)and outcome in the final third.

JazzyJ repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah and we’ve had discussions about whether he can fix this assuming it’s in his head. I think the decision and the reaction to that decision have to be split second and in the moment vs. over-thinking. Seems like over-thinking just sort of paralyzes him. Maybe mindfulness training could help.

bostero24 repped this.
  23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's so sad it almost makes me cry. Poor Cade. :oops::cry:

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, it's very up and down there for him. One minute he's the hero and the next he's the goat. And I think he knew that coming in. Hopefully for him, the good starts to outweigh the bad. But for the most part, so far it seems kind of like his time with the U20's. He does well against the poorer teams but tends to struggle against the good ones.

So far he's had one great game - 2g, 1a, but it was against the Canadian team "Forge FC". Otherwise I think just 1 goal in the Liga MX games.

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.