The Official Cade Cowell thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 23, 2019.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's no point in criticizing pellegrino's weaknesses then this whole message board is pointless and we should just shut it down. Let's just delete our accounts jazzy.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #2477 JazzyJ, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
    I’ve commented myself many times on Pellegrino’s weaknesses. And strengths. And Cade’s strengths and weaknesses. My point is, there’s no point in comparing Pellegrino to Cade and expecting them to be the same kinds of players just because they’re playing the same position. We can talk about end result / product but they get there from totally different places. No point in yelling at an apple for not being an orange or vice versa.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some might say "muy malo"

Cade Cowell ends his first semester at Chivas de Guadalajara with only 1 goal scored in 18 games in the LigaMX (closing tournament) and eliminated in the league.

Remember when some people here were opposed to the Quakes selling Cowell? That $4 million basically paid HLM's $6 million transfer fee. Their big mistake was not selling him for more money a year or two earlier...

They are the angry dog meme except "no sell only buy!"
    upload_2024-5-18_21-46-53.png

QuakeAttack repped this.
  4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's only 20 years old... lots of time to come good

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    True, though this is his 6th year as a pro and he hasn’t really improved his final ball. He kind of fell out of favor with Chivas as the season wore on. Still early and he can get back into the mix but the competition is going to be tough and he’s at some risk of flaming out there.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, agreed... Just glad it's not any team I care about that is investing time and money into trying to make that happen.

Earthshaker repped this.
  7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas won't release Cade Cowell for the Olympic games from the word going around.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Supposedly, unlike FIFA tournaments, clubs are not obligated to release players for the Olympic games.

Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and Carlos Vela were both blocked to be part of Mexico for the London 2012 Olympics.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have to say "Supposedly" when talking about something that is factually true and widely known and has been the case for many years... the Olympics are not a FIFA tournament.

DotMPP, ShayG and bostero24 repped this.
  10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in the (not too distant past) clubs were obligated to release under-23s for the Olympics (but not overage players).

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Who's going to tell the US Olympic team that Chivas is doing them a favor :).

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW he's starting at RW against Toluca on the opening day of the Apertura season and the opposing LB has absolutely no chance staying with him.

falvo repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2488 falvo, Jul 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
    Exactly!

It was not always a mandatory FIFA requirement nor was there a rule that was ‘widely known’.

The only thing that changed that I recall was when FIFA forced the Olympic committee to make it an U-23 even in 1992.

As I recall both the 1984 & 88 tournaments had no restrictions, age limits or otherwise.

The only stipulation was players who played in a World Cup, couldn't play but that was it and many first division players were allowed to play and it was basically a national B team tournament for most of the European and South American teams who participated.

I was living in Europe at the time and I don't recall any teams causing a stink when their players were called up in 2000, 2004 or 2008.

The Serie A season for example began on September 30th, 2000 because of that year’s summer Olympics ended on October 1st.

Also, in Europe anyway , many clubs wanted their younger players at the Olympics because they could showcase them on the transfer market.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Cade’s problem has never been an inability to beat guys with speed.

15. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cade was substituted out around the 80th minute. Did not score in the game.

xbhaskarx and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by not too distant past you mean... many many years ago.

He's due :thumbsup:

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2492 falvo, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024

Since the rule was change, the only coach I recall who made a stink about not letting a player play was Sir Alex Ferguson when he wouldn't allow Chicharito to play for Mexico for the London 2012 Olympics.

Barcelona let 24 year old Neymar play in 2016 and Arsenal allowed Gabriel MartinelliI in 2021.

I don't recall , never heard or read anyone else objecting to any other player playing that summer.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Alex Ferguson the "only coach who made a stink about not letting a player play" when we have like 20 US guys not released by their coaches / clubs just in the last few days? New definition of "only"?

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2494 falvo, Jul 7, 2024
    I am talking about not letting players out to play in the tournament which is not affiliated by FIFA.

My point is, no one that I know of , other that Sir Alex objected to letting a player out.

Which US player exactly was not allowed to play for the Olympic team?

I don't remember reading or hearing about any US team or coach objecting that a player play in the Olympics.

If they were blocked however, they certainly didn't have a big name like Chicharito had with Man U in 2012.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2495 xbhaskarx, Jul 7, 2024
    Why did you add the "big names" part that wasn't there before?

You do realize like a third of the USMNT is U-23 eligible right? And even overage players can be refused. Here is an example for both.

U-23s: Ricardo Pepi and Malik Tillman

Overage: Haji Wright

I don't have the energy to look up a dozen others when it would be a lot easier for you to just not make false statements out of ignorance... if you don't know, there's no need to comment, and certainly no need to make definitive statements that are easily disproven.
    And this is just the US roster in 2024. There are other Olympics, and each Olympics has 16 mens teams, and there are 18 players on each rosters, with the potential for an infinite number of non-releases, so there are no doubt countless others, when you said there was only one ever.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2496 falvo, Jul 7, 2024
    If you have to look them up then you have no idea who they are.

My point initially and always was about big names and every player you posted, other than Haji Wright who sucks anyway, I never heard about.

None were superstars like Chicharito was.

Also, I reiterate, I’m glad Haji Wright won't be playing because he is crap.

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have no idea who Malik Tillman and Ricardo Pepi are that says more about you than them

If Wright sucks Man United sucks more

bsman repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2498 falvo, Jul 7, 2024
    Malik Tillman and Ricardo Pepi are not that good either.

If they are good, then I don't know what bad is.

Especially Pepi who in my opinion is overrated and he showed nothing at the Copa America.

Aside from any of this though, the unwritten rule for many players is that they only play in one tournament, and usually will not be allowed to play in two different ones.

Very few players play in both a confederation and an Olympic tournament in the same summer.

That is not coming from me but it has been going on for as long as I remember.

24. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Yeah, Tillman's probably bad.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/ma...nt-move-bayern-munich-psv/blt68c6444699b4afc4

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/malik-tillman-usmnt-psv-transfer-bayern-munich/blt1be2f94d63ef8698

SalinasQuakesFan and JazzyJ repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2500 falvo, Jul 7, 2024
    Ok so Bayern offloaded of him to PSV because he never played for them other than their second team and he wasn’t starter for the USMNT.

I don’t watch PSV but I doubt anyone else on the board has either.

Also, I can’t even remember him playing much as a sub for the US and if he did, he didn’t do much.

Brazil has Neymar and Martinelli and here we are celebrating Tillman.

Then we all wonder why the USA can’t make it out of a group stage of a tournament.

What the USA should try and do is pick McKennie.

Juventus wants him out because in their eyes he sucks but he is or was the Juve’s best player this season.

He could be free seeing how Juve wants him out.

They don’t like his style but he along with Pulisic are the best the USA has.