The Official BigSoccer weekend Chef Part Deux: Keep on Keepin on

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by TexanSoccer06, Jul 17, 2002.

1. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you referring to the Oregon thing or the female thing?

Uh!

Anyway, making a nice meal tonight, although I really have no idea what. There's been a lot of things I want to make, but they all require a working oven, which really isn't available right now.

However, I did make this with some friends. I was under the presumption that there would be a grill at this gathering, but there wasn't, so we made do with an oven:

One packet of pork loin ribs (there were three in there).

Lay the ribs in something that can go into the oven. Preferrably something like Pyrex.

Smother the ribs in sweet chili sauce. We used a bottle that looked like it was Vietnamese. I would suggest using something Asian, as it will taste very funny with the other ingredients if you use barbeque sauce or Western stuff.

Also, add to the ribs the following:

soy sauce
    rice vinegar (not too much, or the taste will be on the sour side)
    five spice powder
    chopped fresh garlic (maybe 1/4th of a garlic clove, as the sweet chili sauce should contain garlic, anyway)

Also optional is sesame oil. We wanted to use this, but none was available.

We put it in the oven, set for an hour at 400 degrees. After thirty minutes, we flipped the ribs, added a mug of water to keep it from drying out and turned the oven temperature down to 300 degrees for the remaining half hour.

It should turn out rather juicy and not dry at all. I would also suggest having some white rice cooked, as there will be a lot of very delicious sauce left over that would be great to spoon onto the rice.

kevin
    + http://tullamarine.org

2. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kev, how would you have handled that if a grill was available?

3. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, I usually make the meatier "country style" ribs. Since raw pork is a culinary no-no, I usually either bake or crock pot them in the BBQ sauce prior to grilling. Be sure to have enough BBQ sauce left that WASN'T in the pot, since it will be much too greasy. Ribs should be cooked on soaked chips of your choice.

I make my own BBQ sauce, but I don't have a recipe. It's one of those "dump & taste" recipes that are handed down... :)

4. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poorly. I really don't know what sauce I would have put on it, to be honest. So I guess it was destiny that there was no grill.

The cooking thing got bumped back to tonight. I have no idea what to make tonight and I can't find a recipe that is appealing. Either everything requires an oven or overnight marinating and it's a bit too late for that.

Also, the way this thread keeps dropping off must prove that most BigSoccer people are lazy bastards who would rather eat McDonald's than cook for themselves.

kevin
    + http://tullamarine.org

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    They're not lazy. They're just less evolved.

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that the chief troublemaker of this thread went away for a week and is leaving for CA next week as well. Recipes will resume shortly thereafter.

7. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    Bumped.

Just for you, Ian :D

8. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

While on the weekend chef tour, we did a variation of beer-can chicken where we cooked the birds on Guinness stout (in cleaned-out Coke cans... incidentally, don't try to cook a chicken on a can of Guinness draught, the little cylinder inside isn't quite safe for this.) after marinating them in a Guinness based-marinade. Best Chicken ever. Recipe will follow soon.

Going to try a version soon involving Tsingtao.

9. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Reincarnated. Just like good leftover BBQ.

10. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so true. There's something about letting smoked meats sit in a fridge for a day that brings the flavor to the surface.

11. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend saw plans to smoke a beef brisket dashed by rain.

But did we let that stop us? Hells no!

I don't admit this very often, but I do have a little bottle of liquid smoke. This weekend, it paid off. Even though we were forced to use the oven.

You'll need a 4-5 pound beef brisket. The bigger the fat cap on it, the better. Stay away from ones where the whole thing has been trimmed off. (Hint: if it weights 2 lbs, it's not what you're looking for.)

12 hours before starting to cook, coat the brisket in your spice rub. Here's a basic one for brisket:

1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup salt (coarse salt works best)
    1/3 cup paprika
    1/3 cup chili powder (choose a hot or mild powder depending on your tastes)
    1/3 cup ground black pepper

Combine and coat the meat. Cover and chill.

About 6 hours before cooking was to begin, it became apparent that the rain would not hold off any longer. As a result, I rubbed 3 tablespoons of liquid hickory smoke into the meat and returned it to the refridgerator.

We placed the brisket in a aluminum pan and set the oven to 200 degrees and cooked it for 6 hours, basting every hour with a beer-vinegar mop.

Here's a simple beer mop:

1 12 oz beer
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon brown sugar

Combine all ingredients and stir.

We were gunning for an internal temperature of 190 degrees, although you may want to take it out as early as 165 degrees. As always, use an instant-read meat thermometer.

Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then slice, cutting against the grain.

12. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Must eat at Ian's.

This weekend I may be grilling bananas after being inspired by a cooking show. I may need to search through the thread and get the beer can chicken recipe, as I think it might be a good time to try it.

13. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    So when are you having that bbq, Ian?

14. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To summarize Beer can chicken:

1/2 can of beer-- add two openings and maybe a teaspoon of spice rub

Spice rub on outside of bird, plus under the skin and in the main cavity.

Can goes into bird. Use legs to make a tripod.

1 & 1/2 hours cooking over indirect heat. Smoke helps.

185 degrees internal temp (instant read thermometer goes into the thigh w/o touching the bone).

Remove it and sit it for 5 min, carve and eat.

http://abcnews.go.com/onair/GoodMorningAmerica/recipes/recipe990528_beercanchicken.html

15. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this recipe today, which reminded me of the great cornbread debate. It's the closest to the one I was taught as a child, only we used bacon drippings instead of corn oil, and brown sugar. It's from the Baton Rouge Junior League:

Old Fashioned Southern Cornbread

1 cup white cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup cold milk
    1/2 cup boiling water
    3 tablespoons corn oil
    1 egg
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

To Prepare:
    Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and corn oil in mixing bowl. Use a cutting motion with spoon so that oil will be well blended with other ingredients. Stir in the boiling water. Mix well. Add cold milk. Stir and let stand, if necessary, until batter has cooled to at least room temperature. Mix in egg and then baking powder. Beat briskly. Pour (or "spoon" if making sticks) into preheated greased pan and bake at 425 degrees until well browned (approximately 20 minutes). This recipe will make the correct amount of batter to fill an 11-stick iron cornbread pan or a 9-inch square pan.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess, sweet vs. not sweet?

Thanks for the recipe--my wife's a fan.

Does anybody have a good recipe for creamy, South Asian style rice pudding?

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In exchange, I’ll offer this great red beans and rice recipe, from Bill Neal’s Southern Cooking, UNC Press, pp 65-6. (Bill Neal started Crook’s Corner Barbecue in Chapel Hill). It never fails.

“New Orleans natives hold red beans and rice closer to their hearts than any other of their many fabled dishes—so much so that Louis Armstrong made his autograph “Red beans and ricely yours.” After Mardi Gras, the andouille—a local smoked pork sausage—and ham are omitted for the duration of Lent. Red beans are, if anything, more popular then.

[NOTE: feel free to substitute butter for lard, of course]

Yields 8-10 servings.

1 lb (450 g) dried red kidney beans
    2 quarts (2 L) cold water for soaking the beans

Sauce and seasonings for the beans
    1 cup (235 ml) chopped onion
    1 cup (235 ml) chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped celery
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    4 tablespoons (60g) bacon fat or lard
    1 14 oz (400 g) can tomatoes
    5 to 7 cups (1185 to 1655 ml) cold water
    .75 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 smoked ham hock

The meats
    2 tablespoons (30 g) bacon fat or lard
    4 oz (115 g) boiled ham cut into half inch (1 cm) cubes
    2 lbs (900 g) andouille or any hot smoked sausage, sliced 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick

The rice
    2.5 cups (590 ml) raw long grain rice
    4.5 cups (1 L) water
    1.5 tsp salt
    4 tbsp butter

Final seasonings
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Tabasco sauce
    .25 cup (60 ml) fresh chopped parsley

Recommended equipment: an 8 qt stockpot, 12 inch cast iron skillet or enameled cast iron sauté pan. 1.5 qt saucepan w/ lid.

Pick through the dried beans, removing any defective beans or debris. Cover with cold water and soak overnight [NOTE: this helps prevent the typical aftereffect beans are notorious for].

Melt the 4 tablespoons of fat in the stockpot, and sauté the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic over medium high heat. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice. Chop and add them, along with their juice and the 5-7 cups of water, to the stockpot.

Drain the beans, rinse thoroughly under cold water, and add to the stockpot. Add the red pepper flakes, thyme, bay and ham hock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1.5 hrs., adding more water if necessary.

Heat the 2 tablespoons of fat in the skillet or sauté pan and brown the cubed ham and sliced sausages. Add to the beans, stirring in very gently. Simmer for 20 minutes or until beans are tender, but not mushy. Taste for salt, pepper, and Tabasco.

Prepare the rice by bringing water to a boil, then add the rice and salt. Cover and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered.

Before serving, stir the fresh parsley into the beans, and fold the butter into the hot rice. Present the beans and rice separately at the table, each diner establishing the desired portions.”

18. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, folks.

19. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is making me wish my tummy wasn't so upset!

20. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Hungry!!!!!!!!
    Lets keep this thread going folks.

21. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the "Don't Eat meat" Brigade was on campus today. I just had to go point out a few flaws in their logic.

22. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started cooking about 9 months or so ago. It all started when my wife inexplicably started watching Food Network. Next thing I know I'm watchin' Emeril live, A Cook's Tour, and Naked Chef. I could scarcely beleive it. Then I wind up in ther kitchen actually trrying to cook.
    Most of the time my "recipes" actually turn out ok. I just experiment with different stuff. Nothing to fancy mind, just kickin' it up a notch or two. I rather enjoy it now. The wife keeps telling me I should for go my education and go to the French culinary institute in NY...

23. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, bungadiri, for the red beans & rice recipe! I plan to try it over the weekend. Why, you ask? Because of that "bean effect" you mentioned, I soak the beans & wash them three times before cooking! Makes for happier guests!

It's supposed to be cold this weekend, but I may hold my last tribute to the grill anyhow. There's something daring about having to wear a jacket to cook outside!

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Speaking of cold weather, anyone know a good chilli recipe?
    I know every red blooded American male is supposed to have a personal chilli recipe, but being straight off the boat and all, I'm still learning.

25. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to leave that for the men. I've been told that I make wimp chili - although my church has a contest every year, and it's a riot to see grown men, tears streaming down their faces because they're too damn proud to admit that the chili's too hot! :rolleyes: