The Official Anibal Godoy thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any status on Godoy's injury? No news of severity makes me think it might not be so bad.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Picked up one of the Godoy trading cards (destined for the museum) during lunch today at the Lincoln Avenue store in Willow Glen.

nfiniti, markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. sj_vanbasten

sj_vanbasten Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Surplus to requirements...

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you are satisfied with Felipe as back up to Judson and Yueill.

6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great move and compensation.

bsman repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #357 OWN(yewu)ED, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    650,000 GAM? Holy crap that’s s great bit of business. Take that all the way to the bank every time. Also, we got jungwirth and Tommy who can provide depth in emergencies , this was a great surplus requirements move. Let’s go and get a pretty new goal scorer with that. Maybe Rios?

Disclaimer: Godoy is a solid mls level talent , a bit dirty and overrated for my liking, but good depth. Fine squad player, but when you get a 650k offer for a player like that? You take it. We got away with robbery on this one. Also....... accam and Godoy. Maybe they could sign Joey Barton to continue the trend?

markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hmm, are we gonna see a DP signing today (summer transfer window closes tonight)?

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is the GAM for next season?

Will Godoy play again for SJ? He was playing well in Almeyda's system after the first few games. He can still contribute this season. It's good business when his value is still good. Hope the fans (not the refs) will be ableto give him a good send-off at the end of the season.

Together with Ockford, we have sent two players to Nashville. We seem to have a good business relationship with them.

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  11. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great bit of business, especially since we get him back for the playoff run

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Later dude!

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At this stage, I'm not sure he'll actually play for the Earthquakes again. Unfortunately for Godoy, it doesn't make much sense for the Quakes to put him on the field when they have other players on their roster who will presumably still be with the team in 2020.

650k is a healthy bit of allocation money, so it'll be interesting to see how they put that to use. My hunch is that it's intended to be used for Espinoza.

MtnGardener repped this.
  14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s probably a good bet too; in fact shoring up Espinoza is probably the most likely scenario

MtnGardener and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    That will free up 500k in cap space.

To be eligible to be paid for with TAM a player needs to earn at least 530k. Godoy is making close to 500k. So that puts him in an awkward position of taking up almost the maximum charge a player can make but yet can’t be paid for with TAM.

I think the Quakes made a great move.

The next most awkward salary is Magnus at 450k. Not quite as bad and he is pretty instrumental to MAs lineup. I think he’s safe unless they want to replace him with a DP.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, magnus has proven his worth this year even at that price. Godoy was worth offloading

MtnGardener repped this.
  17. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While a good moneyball play, I'm disappointed. We were much better in the middle with Godoy than Judson (who did have a great couple of last games).

MtnGardener, tenfourteen and leocal11 repped this.
  18. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    At the risk of sounding superficial, the fact we’re getting an ROI might mean we’re willing to spend more on players. Our neighbors to the south are getting ready to announce their summer acquisitions for a combined total of around 18 million.

We have a great coach but the spending disparity is increasing- at some point we need to ante up and the costs are increasing.

bobby_guzman, bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am not!

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No shit, man! I mean, here we are sitting in an area that is consistently ranked in the top five most expensive places to live and Fisher wants to pretend we're a blue collar 'small team'?!? The cognitive dissonance is stunning...

tenfourteen and Scott Rohde repped this.
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rich man's Alashe

raindawg and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It obviously sounds as though they are ready to spend a fair bit to keep Espinoza, in what will probably be the most expensive player ever signed by the Quakes if they manage to get the deal done.

We may see some additional spending that is higher than we've previously seen as well, but that remains to be seen. It would be nice, certainly. However, I will be curious to see if the Atlanta's and LAFC's of the world continue to spend like this over the next several years. It's gotten them a lot of success in short order, but can they or will they do it for the long haul?

I'm not really going to advocate that players get less money, though I'm not nearly as focused on how much they earn compared to how well they play. Your comment implies that there is a direct correlation to price and quality, but we know in MLS that this is not always true.

The Quakes can increase their spending some but not have to jump up to no. 1 in spending and remain competitive if they continue to identify talent that is a good fit for MLS, and emphasize coaching staff that know how to get the most out of those players.

23. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almeyda definitely had Godoy on the up and up before the injury, but the team can recover long-term from losing him. They have already maintained success through his time injured. Godoy was huge for the Quakes when he first joined, but became less effective going forward once the league figured out how one-footed he is. And there have always been the stupid elbow fouls, etc... less this season to be fair.

A little sorry to see a player go that seems to get on well with the teammates and fans, but this seems like good business for everybody, maybe including Godoy.

MtnGardener repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From your lips...

Of course, I'm always acutely aware of the curse of Marvin, Simon and Steven (i.e. one great season trailing off into disappointment.)

25. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States