The Official 2024 San Jose Earthquakes related Blogs/Press thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Where's Cade Cowell and his jacked up / giant tire Ford pickup when you need him?

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The new Model T gate! :)

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they will bring back the Taurus!

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    What’s plaguing the 6 winless MLS teams & how to fix them | MLSSoccer.com

Joseph Lowery over at MLSSoccer.com thinks the Quakes most obvious problem is Daniel.

"What’s wrong: 2024 Daniel doesn’t look like 2023 Daniel

The Brazilian goalkeeper was the most efficient shot-stopper in MLS last year...Through four games this year, the 29-year-old has been the worst shot-stopper in MLS...Daniel is far from the Quakes’ only problem, but he’s been the most obvious one....

The solution: Hope Daniel finds his form and sharpen in possession...

We have years of data that points to Daniel being an excellent goalkeeper, so the prevailing wisdom is he’ll find his footing here before too long.

Even still, potential improvement from Daniel doesn’t guarantee a Quakes’ turnaround. The ball is moving far too slowly in possession, out of either Luchi Gonzalez’s 4-2-3-1 or the straight 4-4-2 he used over the weekend. Without an elite central playmaker, San Jose have to raise their collective attacking game to find their wingers in good spots to create chances. We haven’t seen nearly enough of that in 2024.

Adding a truly high-level third DP would help the attack the most. But will that happen? History says “no.”"

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  10. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    For those with a Soccer America subscription, Charles Boehm states the obvious that the Quakes are poor and unlikely to get reinforcements with an owner who is not likely to make significant investments in players.

MLS Week 4: The Crew's well-oiled collective, Miami's balancing act, Atlanta's pivot, and plummeting San Jose - Soccer America

I think his final sentence is really true.

"The region’s population, wealth and soccer culture have long led the Earthquakes to be dubbed a sleeping giant in MLS. The slumber will deepen if the losses keep stacking up at their current pace."

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He’s aware of our stated intention to sign a DP attacker right? We haven’t done it yet but it should be no secret that we’re in the market.

12. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    True, but will it be a big-ticket investment ala Galaxy or even Portland who just spent $4.3M on a player from Club America? The Quakes only have filled 2 of their 3 DP slots and 0 of their U22 slots. It does not appear from this that the Quakes are really committed to investing in the players they need.

I don't blame Leitch or Luchi. This is on Fisher.

Quakes05 repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wouldn’t surprise me if we spend 3-4M on our DP attacker. We’ll see. We spent 4.6M on Gruezo last year :cry: (transfer fee + salary). As for U22’s we can’t sign even a Marcos Lopez kind of prospect again? I don’t think it’s all about the money. We’re not making good use of the $ we do have to sign young prospects.

14. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Agreed we can spend that kind of money, but we don't. IIRC, Gruezo was our record signing.

The Galaxy, per reports, spent $10mil each on two players. We are not even in the ballpark.

Fully agree that we are not making good use of the $ we do spend. We've proven it is possible to compete, and some other teams have succeeded (e.g. Philly) in competing with smaller than average payrolls. But results tend to revert to the average and on average our spending puts us in the middle to bottom of the league. Surprise, surprise, we tend to finish in the middle to bottom of the league.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #115 JazzyJ, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    If Philly and other teams can do it, we can do it. We just haven’t been smart enough yet. The coach can also make a difference as we’ve seen so far this year in Montreal and Toronto, and as we saw in Montreal ‘22 and Columbus ‘23 under Nancy. LAG’s best player is Puig, and he came on a free transfer. With amortized transfer fee + salary we pay a similar amount to Gruezo that LAG pays to Puig :cry:. The money’s nice but at the end of the day you just have to be smart.

16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We are not smart, because we don't know how to identify smart....an endless doom loop.

17. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.. we're the number 3 team in the US (all sports) in fan loyalty because our average attendance is ~102% of stadium compacity (and only because of the Levis and Stanford games):

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Lying with statistics. Not to mention that we lie about PPP attendance too but I suppose that “tickets distributed” hoax is pretty common in sports.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And yet what fans the Quakes do have are undeniably among the most loyal. “Thank you sir, may I have another.” :)

SeaJayBee and JazzyJ repped this.
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Love to see the kiddos getting involved. My wife spent quite a few years as a sub in the Santa Clara USD and had a fair number of occasions where one of the Sharks or Quakes or Niners players or mascot would visit a class and everyone always had a great time. Interestingly, for all that bullshit about the South Bay being Giants territory, those dickheads NEVER came down there...

JazzyJ and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Power Rankings: New York Red Bulls, Toronto FC continue dream starts | MLSSoccer.com

Quakes move up three spots into 26th...

"The Quakes dug themselves out of the West cellar after going up early against Seattle and finishing them off late. The 3-2 win earned San Jose their first points of 2024."

MLS Power Rankings: Both L.A. teams soar, Crew remain at top - ESPN

Quakes move up two spots into 27th...

"Progress! San Jose looked strong in their 3-2 win over the Sounders. Niko Tsakiris, who recently recovered from injury, was especially bright. The 18-year-old brought an extra layer of speed and on-ball quality to what's been a sluggish midfield."

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Ah yes, the oh so objective rankings. We have more points than Seattle this year and just beat them 3-2, yet they are 5 spots ahead of us in the ESPN "power rankings".

I still don't get what people saw in Niko's performance. He didn't touch the ball much (0 times in the first 10 minutes I think) and made maybe 2 progressive passes all 1st half. The rest was backpasses and give-aways. And he was a non-factor on defense. I don't think these people really watch the game. Maybe condensed game? But I think they just look at the result and then what's changed in the lineup and then make up a "correlation equals causation" story. Anything deeper than that takes too much time.

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    You're probably right. They see the W, look to see what changed, ahh Niko was back and there's some buzz around this young player, that must be it then.

JazzyJ repped this.