The Official 2023/2024 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Oct 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution moves so far

New England Revolution 2024 MLS Roster By Position
    As of Dec. 1, 2023

Andrew Farrell, Carles Gil, Jacob Jackson, Damian Rivera, R yan Spaulding and Ian Harkes had options exercised.

Emmanuel Boateng, Maciel, Christian Makoun, Ben Reveno, Ben Sweat had their options declined.

Omar Gonzalez, Gustavo Bou, and Justin Rennicks are out of contract.

Goalkeepers (3): Earl Edwards Jr., Tomáš Vaclík, Jacob Jackson
    Defenders (8): Brandon Bye, Andrew Farrell, DeJuan Jones, Henry Kessler, Peyton Miller, Dave Romney, Ryan Spaulding, Santiago Suarez
    Midfielders (10): Esmir Bajraktarevic, Noel Buck, Carles Gil, Nacho Gil, Ian Harkes, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Tommy McNamara, Jack Panayotou, Matt Polster, Damian Rivera
    Forwards (6): Joshua Bolma, Dylan Borrero, Tomás Chancalay, Malcolm Fry, Giacomo Vrioni, Bobby Wood

New England Revolution 2024 MLS Roster Quick Facts:
    As of Dec. 1, 2023

Designated Players (3): Tomás Chancalay, Carles Gil, Giacomo Vrioni
    Homegrown Players (7): Esmir Bajraktarevic, Noel Buck, Malcolm Fry, Peyton Miller, Jack Panayotou, Damian Rivera, Santiago Suarez
    International Players (6): Joshua Bolma, Dylan Borrero, Tomás Chancalay, Nacho Gil, Tomáš Vaclík, Giacomo Vrioni
    MLS Under-22 Initiative (1): Dylan Borrero
    Average Age: 25 years, 347 days
    Average Age of Homegrown Players: 18 years, 274 days

2. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Well the sooner the better Jazzy.
    Gives the player familiarity with our system & Luchi can have said player getting ready during the off-season so he can hit the ground running during camp. As opposed to getting players last minute as usual and then we need to give them time to settle, learn the system etc.
    As anything else in life, the more prepared you are better the results. Whoever we end up signing especially if they'll be considered for the first team it's super important to have them as early as possible so they integrate with the rest of the team asap. We need all the help we can get and players signing last minute or as the season starts is not smart move in my eyes. Summer signings already are behind coming in during the season, there's no excuse to wait last minute when we have 3 months or so in the off-season to get our new personal in.

markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well again the most important thing is getting the right player. These are usually multi-year signings and in the grand scheme of things a month or 2 early is going to pale in comparison to actually whether or not it’s a good player. I think the Joel Qwiberg signing happened pretty early in 2018. Actually just looked it up. He was signed on this day in 2017! Thanks but no thanks.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ema Boateng is worth a shot at winger... 2 g, 3a last year in a half season's minutes... he's 29 so he's gonna start losing speed which is his primary asset but he is experienced and is producing better than cowell and kikanovic.

5. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

The system matters a lot. Bruce had them playing a certain brand of futbol that unfortunately luchi doesn't do.
    Makoun & Bou would be the players I'd like.

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cowell is more of a pure speed/athleticism guy than boateng at this point... if Luchi can find a use for cowell I think he can use boateng.

7. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf

Fair enough.
    But remember Cowell regressed this past season with Luchi as coach. I get it that not everything is on the coach & that at some point the players need to execute but as the season progressed Luchi couldn't figure out how to unlock any player on the left wing.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #258 JazzyJ, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    OK, here it is. Only surprises for me are that we exercised the option on Baldi and Richmond (really?), and that we did not exercise the option on Trauco and Nathan. Our 2 vaunted Stanford "college HG's" are one and done - Tingey and Cilley. I thought Tingey had a better chance of being a 1st team contributor (depth LB) than Richmond.

Of course, as always, "didn't exercise option" doesn't mean "gone". It can mean "we want to pay you less money". That could reasonably apply to Nathan, Trauco, and Judson. For TT, probably not because they are already paying him essentially nothing, and as Billy Preston sang "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing". Don't think it applies to Monteiro because he's at a high price as a starting point and I think they club wants to move in a different direction for his role.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/news-earthquakes-announce-roster-moves-ahead-of-2024-mls-season

Boysinblue repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So at this point, no more Oskar Ågren. :thumbsdown:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, probably not. I don't seem them offering him a contract at a lower salary because presumably his salary was already very low. Going to have to retire my Å until the next one comes around :-(.

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing really of surprise.

The Quakes will not exercise 2024 contract options on eight players: defenders Oskar Ågren, Nathan, Keegan Tingey, and Miguel Trauco; and midfielders Cam Cilley, Judson, Jamiro Monteiro, and Tommy Thompson.

Hoppe and Akinola also likely not returning so I'm good with that as well.

markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  12. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I am surprised at Hoppe, though I don't know what the dollars were. It's not like we have a plethora of attacking options.

13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably didn't want to return so they declined his option. I wouldn't want to ply my trade here either if I was serious about my career.

mjlee22 and bostero24 repped this.
  14. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes have historically filled roster spots with players that had less than a 1% chance of making it on the field for an MLS game. So I am happy with this announcement as it looks like a serious purge from CL. I hope its a sign of bringing in players that can fight for a starting spot and not just a warm body to meet league roster requirements.

xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-5 years ago. Great career!

xbhaskarx, markmcf8, Earthshaker and 2 others repped this.
  16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see. I'm pleasantly surprised at the volume of changes. My only disappointment (mild) is Trauco as I liked his passing and skill on the ball, but he faded towards the end of the season and struggled with pace as a defender.

Good by to Akinola. I would be fine if we kept Hoppe, but not the end of the world if he walks.

markmcf8, Boysinblue and Kaitlyn repped this.
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nothing that really surprises or bothers me here. Glad we’re keeping Akapo. Glad to wave bye-bye to Mensah and Monteiro. Judson was good once but not lately. I look forward to seeing their replacements. There are two open DP slots (if Fisher springs for four). It’ll be interesting to see what happens on that front.

markmcf8 and bostero24 repped this.
  18. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Oh man..is our squad bland:cry:. Even with the dead weight somewhat gone. We need a lot of help. Here's hoping to some good signings (although I'm not counting on much) :cool:

vamanoshasta and bsman repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not sure how the math works. We declined options on 10 players, and we still have 23 on the roster? The roster limit is 30. I suppose some of those guys, like Mendoza were not on the 1st team roster.

Anyway, if it's only 7 open slots it feels almost like not enough.

markmcf8, SoccerMan94043 and bostero24 repped this.
  20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not. I'm almost shocked we kept Richmond and Bouda. CIlley and Tingey were never going to play for us so no surprise.

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Bouda did really well for Quakes 2 last year in limited minutes - 7 goals in 8 starts, and some of them were great goals. They generally weren't of the tap-in variety. I think they want to give him another look. Richmond is a head-scratcher. He'll be 24 next year and t's not like he's going to get any better or faster. He is what he is, and that doesn't seem quite good enough for 1st team minutes.

Kaitlyn and Boysinblue repped this.
  22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nathan was on the season-ending injury list and Chance Cowell's homegrown contract doesn't start until 2024. Just need one more to explain.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #273 JazzyJ, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Pretty sure Mendoza was never on the 1st team roster last year but he's listed as a rostered player in the article. So that would be the 3rd.

Actually, I think the same applies to Verhoeven. Still, when I count players who had their option declined or out of contract or loan expired, there are 12. So all things equal our roster should be down to 18, but it's shown as 23. We may still have one unaccounted for extra player.

- Nathan (was on season ending injury list, so shouldn't count as a roster "minus" this year).
    - Chance Cowell is listed on the 1st team roster and wasn't on it last year
    - Mendoza is listed on the 1st team roster and wasn't on it last year
    - Verhoeven is listed on the 1st team roster and wasn't on it last year

------

Contract Options Declined (Dec. 1)

• Oskar Ågren (D)
    • Cam Cilley (M)
    • Judson (M)
    • Jamiro Monteiro (M)
    • Nathan (D)
    • Tommy Thompson (M)
    • Keegan Tingey (D)
    • Miguel Trauco (D)
    Out of Contract (Dec. 1)

• Jonathan Mensah (D)
    • Jack Skahan (M)
    Loan Expiration (Dec. 1)

• Ayo Akinola (F)
    • Matthew Hoppe (F)

24. vamanoshasta

vamanoshasta Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I'm surprised how many names on the Quakes I have rarely or never heard of.

And, I really initially liked Jeremy, but In less something incredible happens, signings-wise, I'm not sure how much I give a shit anymore.

:(

markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand getting rid of Thompson... he's on low wages and is a reliable jack of all trades.

JazzyJ repped this.