The Official 2023/2024 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Oct 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Kaitlyn, Oct 10, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    They released the calendar today.

[​IMG]
    • 12/01/23 - Deadline to exercise contract options​
    • 12/06/23 - 12/09/23 - College Showcase​
    • 12/11/23 - Trade Window Opens​
    • 12/12/23 - Wavier Draft​
    • 12/13/23 - Free Agency Opens​
    • 12/14/23 - Re-Entry Draft Stage 1​
    • 12/19/23 - MLS SuperDraft​
    • 12/21/23 - Re-Entry Draft Stage 2​

[​IMG]

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Marie, Johnathan Mensah, Jamiro Monteiro, Judson, Tommy Thompson, Jackson Yueill are the guys we have eligible for free agency. I suspect Marie and Yueill are resigned. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Mensah, but I suspect Moneiro, Judson and Thompson are good as gone.

xbhaskarx, bsman and QuakeAttack repped this.
  3. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Well were ranked pretty low with shit ass DC United, while the top team in the west is right there with us lol

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From The Athletic

D.C. United interviewing GM candidates, per sources: Finalists, search timeline

Oct 7, 2023; Washington, District of Columbia, USA;D.C. United players celebrate after their match against New York City FC at Audi Field. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
    By Tom Bogert and Pablo Maurer

Oct 10, 2023
    D.C. United has interviewed Nashville SC assistant general manager Ally Mackay and Columbus Crew SC assistant GM Issa Tall for their GM opening, sources briefed on the process told The Athletic.

Both are understood to be finalists for the job, sources say. Both clubs granted D.C. United permission to speak with their respective candidates. On Tuesday, a person briefed on the situation said the club would likely finalize their new GM hire by the end of the MLS season. United are currently in the process of performing due diligence and background research on all potential candidates.

D.C. parted ways with current Bay FC GM Lucy Rushton at the end of the 2022 season and has been without a permanent general manager since then. In the interim, now-former coach Wayne Rooney was given a bigger say in the team’s roster decisions, while Dave Kasper, the club’s president of soccer operations and sporting director, has also taken on some of those responsibilities.

Nashville hired Mackay to be part of GM Mike Jacobs’ inaugural staff as the club prepared for its 2020 expansion season. Nashville has been among the most successful modern expansion clubs, making the playoffs in each of its first four seasons, including this year. Nashville’s best signings include reigning MVP Hany Mukhtar, two-time MLS Defender of the Year Walker Zimmerman, club captain Dax McCarty, Costa Rica international Randall Leal and more.

Prior to joining the Nashville front office, Mackay worked around the league as an agent. Nashville obviously would love to keep Mackay but are happy to let him interview for a job promotion at another club.

Tall has been with the Crew since 2020, part of the group that won MLS Cup that season. Previously, the former player worked for FIFA in their team services and competition department and worked with Toronto FC in scouting. He played collegiate soccer at Adelphi University, in New York.

D.C. has spoken with many other candidates, including at least one who is already in the building: technical director Stewart Mairs, who has been with the club for six years. Mairs is no longer a candidate for the GM position, a source said this week.

Whomever United hires will have at least one immediate task: finding a new head coach. Rooney and the club parted ways after the club wrapped up its season last weekend. D.C. is in playoff position but will miss postseason play after the remainder of MLS wraps things up this weekend.

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marie is a spot starter and good backup. We will keep Yuell because we won't make drastic changes. I would not keep Mensha and bye to the remainder. Is Benji still on contract?

I think Miles Robinson is the only one that I would really be interested from the Free Agent List.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thread!

Also, crap! Is it time to start thinking about the long off-season ahead?

Putting on my “I wish I was the GM” hat for a moment …

Of our free agents, I would definitely resign Marie and Jackson, though I would entertain trade offers for Jackson. The other guys are out the door. Mind you, I like Tommy, and I might be interested in putting him on the scouting staff, or maybe somewhere in communications. Maybe tell him to come back after he completes his bachelor’s. (Assuming that’s what he wants to do.)

On the other free agents, if there’s a good player or two there, I would look. We might want a veteran GK if we can get a good trade offer for JT.

Of our existing roster, I’d look to trade or dump: Akinola, Baldisimo, maybe Bouda, Cowell, Benji too, Gruezo, Natan, and Will Richmond.

Clearly, I’d want good trades for Cade and Benji, otherwise, I’d keep them.

That gives us plenty of roster spots, but only a little cap space, unless we can move Gruezo, Cade, Benji, and Natan for actual ducats. I haven’t even tried to count the cap space we would save with these moves, but I don’t think it’s a lot. Mensah is well paid, Jamiro costs us a handful of bucks, but it’s not a huge savings unless we can trade someone for real cash.

So then we need to find a quality left-winger, another starting quality CD, and of course, an actual #10 type. Maybe Skahan can fill that role for us, but I wouldn’t go into the season banking on him.

Maybe trade Jebo if we get a good offer for him, but I don’t think that’s in the cards.

I doubt that CL thinks like I do.

Go Quakesfans!!

davez, nivla and Kaitlyn repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Can we at least wait until we crash spectacularly out of the playoffs or fail to make them altogether in an epic slow-roll "Golden Point" slide before we start talking who we're going to cut? :)

8. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We are doing the two pronged approach here. Just like our attack, only two pronged (on a good day).

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why push until tomorrow, what can be done today!

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    As you know our attack is single-pronged -> Cristian Espinoza. So in honor of our team I feel it's only right that we focus on one thing at a time.

Besides we don't know what will happen until the season's over. For all we know, on our way to MLS Cup, Mensah might make 10 goal saving tackles and 5 goalline clearances, Judson might come in for an injured Gruezo and make 85 tackles and get 5 assists, and Monteiro may score 6 goals, including 3 bikes, and an Olimpico. We might want to evaluate their contract status in light of those events.

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some decent players on the list I think that would be good fits for us and upgrades. Miles Robinson, Ethan Finlay, Hector Jimenez, Ariel Lassiter, Justin Meram, Andrew Gutman, Julian Gressel, Darlington Nagbe, Josh Williams, Jimmy Maurer, Corey Baird, Griffin Dorsey, Josef Martinez, Kellyn Acosta, Illie Sanchez, Wil Trapp, Daniel Lovitz, Daniel Musovski, wouldn't be bad for us at all.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles Robinson is 100% going to Europe if there is any interest, he wanted to go a few years ago but Carlos Bocanegra wouldn't accept offers for millions of dollars so Atlanta will now get zero dollars. Brilliant! :thumbsup:
    If Miles was going to stay in MLS he would almost certainly re-sign with Atlanta.

markmcf8, bsman and Kaitlyn repped this.
  13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22 repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I always thought Bedoya was more hype than product. Sort of reminds me of one of our lads, in that respect...

Kaitlyn and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
  16. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Except ours is not yet old enough to drink let alone social security in a few years

markmcf8, Kaitlyn and bsman repped this.
  17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He used to be good, but Bedoya has lost more than a step or two. Hard pass for me.

Go Quakesfans!!

Earthshaker repped this.
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In light of JTs horror injury, I’d like to call to see if Horvath or Steffen have availability

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Truthfully, other than Daniel and Espinoza and perhaps Akapo, Rodrigues and Marie I wouldn’t shed a lot of tears if we made a clean sweep…

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? We are looking for a backup and both of those keeps would look to start. Or did I miss something?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath is kind of out of sorts with Forest now. He was not included in their 25 man roster to start the season, and there are three keepers ahead of him. Last year he was on season long loan to Luton Town and helped them win promotion to the Premier League, but, now he is in limbo and can't even be loaned out until the winter window. Not sure where Steffen is regarding Man City, but, don't think either could come here until the next transfer window. But, like you said, they would expect to start and would likely require a big salary. No way this would happen.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah this doesn’t make any sense to me. We have our #1 keeper for the next year of 2. We just need to pick a #2, whether that’s Emi or someone else. We have enough problems that we don’t need to spend time and resources trying to solve a problem that’s not really a problem.

Earthshaker repped this.
  23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up Jimmy Maurer a Luchi guy.

xbhaskarx and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im thinking we are going to give Emi Ochoa his fair shot to deputize behind Daniel. Certainly would raise his profile showing him that sort of confidence

xbhaskarx repped this.
  25. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was the backup for Macrinkowski when Daniel was out so I don't see any other plan.