The Official 2014 Korea NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by ChaDuRi671, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let us dis-regard nationality. The United States are a respectable side but that has nothing to do with Jurgen Klinsmann being German. The Americans were prepared and they've prepared since South Africa.

2. Bethekorea0123

Jan 15, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But when I watched the video of Korea playing Ghana when CKR was coach it looked like our team was organized and had a good passing game going on....... I was surprised. They looked pretty good.

3. seoulman9

seoulman9 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like all the calls to fire HMB right away are forgetting how dire things were when he got the job. I mean, in a lot of ways, our team was in freefall. I just don't think he had enough time with the team, especially when you consider injuries and out of form starters. I was disappointed with some of his decisions, too. But I think he took out SHM today because he looked gassed and he needed some fresh legs out there that could keep up the pace. Unfortunately, our entire roster doesn't have much in that way. Algeria was an embarrassment, yes. But again, I don't know if you can put the mistake of individuals (not boxing out, keeper going on wrong side of a cross, not man-marking AT ALL) at the foot of the coach. I say let's wait until the end of the AC. Let's take another look then.

I think one sentiment here that make it crystal clear that people are just reacting instead of thinking are the calls to drop LCY. Yes, he had a bad game. But in very recent games, he was often the only highlight. Drop him entirely from the lineup? Are you crazy? Let's all take a breath and not be so . . . well, Korean. We, as a society, tend to just react, instead of thinking. Let's calm down a bit and wait for the dust to settle.

Hyok, nmssis, Ice cube and 1 other person repped this.
  4. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True. Hong is better than Choi Kang-hee but that doesn't mean that we need to thank Hong.

5. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I am already looking forward to the Asian Cup, as well as the post-WC friendlies to see how the KNT adjusts.

All these loudmouth "fans" here who only show up every fours in order to get a quick fix of nationalistic self-esteem—and then cry and smash things when they don't get it—can just go away.

10August2012, nmssis, fiercejoy and 6 others repped this.
  6. seoulman9

seoulman9 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    It's just that for me, he pulled us out of a nose dive. We looked pretty good against Russia. So we're out of the dive now, and we've plateaued. All I'm saying is, let's give it some time to see if we can gain some altitude back.

7. jolim24601

jolim24601 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    east coast
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think coaching can only do so much when players are making questionable career moves, getting played into new positions like ksy that dont quite fit in with the system of national team play, and there are no mentors to bring the team together under a unified vision.

Nothings hurt this team more than the impeded growth of our big players. Kbk and ksy never had a mentor like hiddink. Only vincent tan and laudrup who never has even made a show of taking a personal interest in ki. Pcy we all know too well what happened there. And the gk pos..thats the level of complacency of the kfa.

All the collective desire for the players to make the choice for individual glory backfired (and obv theres lcys knee injury which has kept him in the championship) and made this wc just rly bad timing. No doubt we need players in the big leagues but if theyre not getting minutes and experiencing growth then we end up relying on provincial domestic leaguers who no doubt can play but just lack the experience playing against other internationals

Etcetc blah blah sry for rant

seoulman9, Chingoo and skimmilk repped this.
  8. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I disagree with many things HMB did this WC but his players never gave up on him. Maybe a good tactical assistant will be the missing link.

9. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think he pulled us out of the nose dive.

This World Cup was the nose dive.

10. seoulman9

seoulman9 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    o_O Really? You don't think barely qualifying was the nose dive?

11. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Get some perspective people. Whether HMB is the long-term option or not is up for debate, but he's unquestionably better than what we had before. You really prefer CKH's 4-2-4 with 4 strikers waiting for long balls from JSR?

killaorca repped this.
  12. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I asked this before but didn't see the answer... do we have any this year besides the Asian Games stuff?

13. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I think we're facing Iran.

14. Bethekorea0123

Jan 15, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think someone brought up the same point in one of these threads but what is the point of Korean soccer players signing with European clubs if they don't get much playing time and become rusty? People have brought up the point that many of our players were not in form for this WC because they don't play regularly for their European teams. If that is the case why sign with a European team at all? Why not just try to play in Japan or China or Korea or other places and actually maybe develop their game? I'm guessing the 2002 team barely had any Europe based players. Would you rather be at a European club and play maybe in half their games or would you rather play in other leagues and play in almost all of their games?

15. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You can't fault players for trying their hand at the bigger leagues than in Asia. Playing against better competition will (or should) make them better players in the long run.

But a lot of unforeseen circumstances happened, and some poor choices were made. In the NT form PCY was in right after moving to Arsenal, few people would've imagined he would languish on the bench for so long. LCY's injury resulted in him playing in a league where his technical development stalled. Ji and Yun should never have gone to the clubs they did. Koo did well at Augsburg, so it was surprising to see him flop at Wolfsburg and Mainz.

Also, prior to the selection of the squad, I don't think people foresaw that the magnitude of the effect that the lack of playing would have. The last friendly before the squad was chosen (Greece) went well – Lee was bright, Koo got an assist, Park scored. It didn't seem like it would be a huge deal.

You also can't compare anything to the 2002 side. Hiddink took advantage of the fact that almost the entire squad was domestic or Japan-based and basically ran the NT like a club side. The K-League would shift rounds to alternative dates in order to accommodate training camps for Hiddink. The KFA also arranged friendlies against top countries. The months of coordinated nonstop preparation was a huge advantage over other teams that got their full squad together only a few times a year.

(btw, playing in even half of the games would be pretty close to ideal – LCY, who probably played the most games by virtue of being in a 24-team league, was completely burnt out)

Gayageum repped this.
  16. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, imo HMB needs to let go of KTY.

17. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lee Youngpyo......

Like Löw was the tactics behind Klinsmann's leadership in 06.

18. Bethekorea0123

Jan 15, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LYP joining HMB's staff? Why not.

19. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    we need players that has more flair with their feet with quicker feet. SHM does not have the agility and can make sharp turns as world class wingers. its obvious he doesnt take the weight room very seriously. u can tell he has mediocre core strength (which u need to break ankles) compared to other world class wingers. strength was one of the biggest issue in this WC. our players were being bossed physically in every position.
    upload_2014-6-26_23-23-8.png

20. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

Hong Myung-Bo: "We played attacking football but we ultimately failed through the oppositions counter-attack, although it couldn't be helped our players did their best. I lacked a lot... our player's are young and because they're the future prospects, we have to develop more.

I was the most inexperienced, our players had a good experience through this World Cup, from now on we have to challenge ourselves and develop more."

21. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    So what's going to happen to Mr. Ton Du Chatinier? He was only onboard for the WC right?

22. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No, he'll be with HMB till the contract is over.

23. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Jun 11, 2013
    #2473 krnxsnoopy, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Our quality isn't only lacking in the players department, but also in the coaching department

What I hated about these 3 games in the World Cup, is the glaring lack of creativity on the pitch. It's one thing to not have world class playmakers, but another thing to have a coach with a robotic "system". Over and over, we fail to create good chances in the final 3rd. Sure, we can hold the ball and keep possession, but once we get in the final 3rd, we become totally clueless of what to do next. In short, our play is extremely predictable. And I think this has to fall on the coach, because players are instructed to an extent to "play within the system".

CKR CKH HMB.... Korean coaches obviously aren't working. IMO we need a foreign coach. Spend the bucks KFA and bring in a quality coach for once.

24. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  25. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    are you guys delusional or just terribly misinformed?

sac517 repped this.