The Official 11/6 DC Weather Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greenbill, Nov 1, 2004.

1. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Weather.com still says partly cloudy, 54deg. 20% chance of precip.

2. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Well, I just called the guy upstairs and he said he wants to watch the game. It might be a little cloudy, but no rain. And it shouldn't be too cold. I love having a direct line.

--kravi

P.S. I forgot my meds again today.

3. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kravi, just because your Jewish doesn't mean you have a red phone to the big man upstairs. Geez. But I do trust your skills as the Great Karnac!

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He can also let you know where to pick up some "stormy" street-walkers!

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :D

6. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

DId he pull a Hugh Grant?

7. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Nonsense! Nonsense! Of course it means that I have a big red phone to the big guy upstairs. Just because you're Catholic doesn't mean you have to be jealous!

--kravi

8. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Yes yes he did. Before Hugh Grant pulled a Hugh Grant.

9. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

Well, care to provide for some way for me to do this??? Having been out of work for a while, money's pretty tight.

10. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Previous forecast stands......will update tomorrow.

11. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm are you joking! I can barely afford to keep going to these games myself, (thank god for the offseason and grandpa's Christmas checks). But seriously we do hope you can make it, and join us in the SE sections to bounce!

12. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the bus link.

It picks up at Madison Square Garden/Penn Station and drops off at Union Station: $35 round trip, 2 movies each way and a dumper in the back.
    Make a reservation and they keep bringing busses until there aren't any more people waiting.
    Since your schedule seems to be pretty flexible, I suggest catching the bus at around 1:30 pm.
    You'll probably be here by about 7 as a late estimate.

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Saturday, Mostly Sunny, High of 54 - 20% precipitation.

14. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Send an email to JeffGMC (he posts around bs). He's ridden some of the various Chinatown express busses to DC from NYC many times and can recommend which are better than others. I think you can come down in the afternoon on Sat and then take like a 1 am bus back to NY (if you don't want to spring for a hotel room).

K

15. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    weather.com now says MOSTLY SUNNY, high 54 deg. :)

16. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

Okay, okay already - I get the hint! Come down and join you in the bouncing stands....let me get in touch with my 'contact' for a ticket (don't even ask, please), and I'll contact the buses....and for that money, I guess I can do it.

You guys are merciless!!!!!

Oh, bad news - there are no Saturday buses.........

17. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Indeed I can K, thanks for the intro.

Here's a link to every Chinatown bus service on the East Coast:
    http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/

From NYC to DC I can recommend Eastern, they leave from 42nd St, which means you don't have to trek all the way across Canal St to get under the bridge. I also like New Century, but you have to make your way to Chinatown for their service. Today's Bus claims to make a pickup at 27th St, but in reality a guy in a van comes to get you to bring you to Chinatown. Last time we put 16 people in a van, this made the bus seem much more comfortable, but it was a pain. Dragon had no problems getting me down there, but I, and eight others who had been sold tickets, had problems getting back up because they apparently ran a different schedule on holidays. Not what we wanted to hear at 10 PM.

As for returning, all busses claim that they can only drop you off in Cahinatown, but if you ask the driver, they will typically make a stop on the West side of Canal after you come through the tunnel so you can take the ACE or 1/9 without a hassle.

All in all, it's typically a well spent $35. Traffic can be your enemy, and I wouldn't take a bus scheduled for a noon arrival for an event that started at 1, as it has taken 5 and a half hours to make that 4 hour trip, but I wouldn't take a Greyhound that was scheduled to get in at noon for a 1PM event. Plus, the Chinatown bus is $35. If you see a repitition, it's because that's the selling point. Bus rides suck but at least you're not paying more than it's worth.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me.

18. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    weather.com now says: Partly Cloudy 60°/42° 20 %

19. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC 4 forecast calling for a high in the low 50s and the evening low in the upper 30s with just a few cloud whispers.

VAMOS UNITED!

20. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So does that mean you wont be joining us to enjoy a great match under our beautiful crisp autumn skies?

21. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    It's doutbful at this moment that I will get down, but I'm still trying. I might have another option other than the bus....but I won't discuss it until I know for sure.

Oh, and what Rob just posted is exactly what I'm seeing off the site I use. It should be a gorgeous evening and night for a UNITED WIN!

22. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Weather.com => Sunny, 60°/41° 20 %

23. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    I told you so! Ye of little faith!!!!!

--kravi

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Kick ass! Yah mo B there!

25. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD

wtf is a cloud whisper? what does it sound like? maybe they mean cloud whisperer?

I like how half of this thread is about one person trying to get to the game. Can I go ahead and start trying to find a cheap way to get to LA? Any China town buses going back and forth? Can I ride the rails, hobo style? I could hitch-hike and write a book about it... DC to LA: 4-Star Trip on a 4-Dollar Budget