The offical "Fire Bob Gansler" thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Spoon, Sep 14, 2003.

1. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    If he goes into SJ and gets the win, yet fails to win the cup will you still want him gone? Although I can't see that happening...

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hell, if we win another MLS Cup I still think his time is up. Thanks Bob, come back and visit during "old-timers" day!

Sorry, I don't blow with the wind.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Takes a lot to get Hunt to fire a man who won him a cup three years ago and just got his team into the semis, and that despite a pretty key ( though hardly unexpected ) injury.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right. Bob's going nowhere. My opinion is merely that - an opinion. It is also subject to change.

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Although I would accept Bob continuing next year (might as well), I would still like to see a different approach to this team.

6. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a week after, what is your thoughts on the coaching job of Danger Bob?

One more year? Does he need to have a year without a long streak of crappiness to keep his job? Or will it be just to make the playoffs to stay afloat?

7. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I dunno. With his inablity to hold leads, develope youth, or make the most of the depth of his squad, I don't want him back. BUT he did do a decent job in the playoffs/end of the season, esp. in regards to tactics and substitutions. I don't expect him to be gone, but I'm worried about the squad next year. FWIW, I'm taking the fire bob tag off of my sig.

8. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we've never beaten an mls side in the oc, have we?

9. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    If Lamar doesn't have the balls to can the Columbus coach, he won't can Gansler, who actually won silverware legitimately.

Besides, all the money goin' to Dallas now.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree, with columbus keeping Andrulis for another year, there is no way that Gansler is going anywhere. He probably gets one more chance to get the team turned around, and try to get this team to hold a lead.

11. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Just noticed this. How much more difference do you need?

KC has gone from complete dependency on defense and goalkeeping to the need to score 3 in the absence of both defense and goalkeeping. KC has one from one event soccer games (if that) to don't change the channel up or down 2-0. All of this within 3 seasons under the same coach. Versatility is a word.

Putting all of that aside, what different approach would you take?

12. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New After Season Thread on Gansler

I know there is another "ancient" thread on Gansler's job...

But now that the winless streak is over,

The winning streak happened....

We had a good run in the playoffs...

But still coudnt hold a lead....

Is Gansler safe for another year?

James

13. fuentga

fuentga New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Buenos Aires
    unfortunately..he is safe probably for two years..another year of a boring team to watch..

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i gotta say that it's been anything but boring. frustrating yes, boring no.

i would have no problem seeing kc work under the guidance of new management next year.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: New After Season Thread on Gansler

Exactly, so use the thread thats already out there please.

Merged.

16. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Obviously he should be fired

The man took a team with three players to within minutes of reaching the final. Clearly he should be canned for under achieving.

17. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    From the CJ Question & Answer, as posted by BenC1357: Q: Draft philosophy; trading vs. drafting, player acquisitions, etc.??
    A: They try to pick up players that can perform right now and that are close to their prime. (i.e. Wolff and Conrad) Focus so far has been on this season, so no real news on the draft selections for next year, or the players we're looking into.

This has something to do with it, and I'm not talking about Wolff being a bust.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this shows that someone in the organization has a lack of trust in developing our own talent. We try to take players that are already developed, and not really try to develop for the future. The only players that we've really developed in our own system were Klein and Garcia, other then that we haven't had a great string of developing young players.

19. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Obviously he should be fired

Well if you were to look at the orginal post you would see that this thread started 3 months ago. But thanks for your imput.

20. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    top priorities in offseason should be getting some more youth, whether thru draft or trades and getting a striker. It seems we're searching for a striker every year.

Firing bob would be a terrrible move. It was a decent year, and clearly chicago and SJ had better teams this year.

The people who want to fire bob need to think if KC could find someone who would make things better. I highly doubt it, and chances are, things would get much worse.

We bunkered a bit and gave up leads too often, but for the most part, he used the right people and used them effectively. We played attacking soccer mostly, and most players seem to be buying into his system and motivation.

KC cannot, however, stand pat on personnel this offseason. You're either moving forward or backward.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really agree with that, we have strikers, the problem is keeping them healthy. I mean Igor is a good striker, Wolde can be a good target man, Arnaud showed this year that he is developing very well. If we can get Wolff back healthy and playing at 2000-2001 form, then KC will be fine with the striker position. I think a more pressing need would be at defense, we gave up way to many leads these season as Andy has mentioned before, I think it's like 17 times or something like that? Andy you wanna correct me on that? We need to get something defensively.
    Are we going to have an SI spot open after we dump Vazquez? It says on MLSnet that he is an SI/discovery pick, I know it wouldn't get us the top SI spot, but maybe we can find a good foreign defender to come in and play.

22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i second that. i don't know if my heart can take another year of blown leads like this last one.

although, i suppose that having burciaga back is like getting a new defender. man, what a blow that was early on.

23. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The way I see it we need three postions to be filled.

C-mid who can attack and defend with equal ability. Still somewhat young. Preki will be back next year, but his time is limited. I give him 2 years max. A replacement must be brought into the fold and quickly. Gomez isn't it, though I do commend him on his steady ability of improvement from season to season.

A Winger. Chris Klein has now shown the ability to play on the left. What we need now is a winger for eitiher side, since Chris can adapt. This has been the problem ever since Henderson was traded away.

A veteran Defender. A veteran defender can make all the difference. A Vermes, or an Agoos, are both central veteran defenders that made an otherwise regular defense into a staunchy one.

If I had to choose the order in which I would rank the need for them it would be.

Winger
    Veteran Central Defender
    C-Mid.

C-Mid is last since if we get two decent wingers by the time Preki retires. Chris Klein can step up into that role.

24. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: New After Season Thread on Gansler

Frucking ridiculous...

Things need to be refreshed from time to time...

This type of BS (Not Big Soccer) is why I hardly post anymore.

This thread was started during the winless streak, as stated, we've been on a roller coaster ever since..

How many people (particularly newbies) or non Wizards regulars are going to peruse though 144 old posts to get current?

It was a "post season" look at the topic...

Stupid people these moderators are...

25. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got 3 wingers.
    Klein
    Armstrong
    Quill

2 of which are above and beyond serviceable (Klein and Armstrong) and one of which is kind of wild card ( Quill)

I would have to say my top priorities, if i am coach/GM/whoever right now are A backup GK and a quality defender. And, to certain point, a central midd. I'd like to get a young kid in the draft or elsewhere that we could develop in to that position.