The Off-Season "Near News" and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    As a Gold member, I'll flat out say that Nowak-Kubik isn't true. Even Chris doesn't know what the hell that's about.

In actual rumors/truth, the cap may be raised.

In actual truths, allocations will be distributed to several teams and the values of some allocations will go up.

2. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Anyone want some action on my Nowak-Kubik rumor being true? Not being rude, just having fun. If you don't believe me we can do something fun like loser buys the beer for the first game or tix or something fun like that. We could get together and make it a hoot.

3. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And so the truth comes out. It is a rumor, not fact.

I think Nowak is a last choice replacement if we can't get who we want.

4. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I called it a rumor because you were implying that I was misinformed. I KNOW it to be fact. Come on, if it is a rumor you should have no trouble offering to take me to the DC Dallas game down there if I am right. I will do opposite here if I am wrong. Do we have a friendly wager? (minus the airfare)

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Goff is among the top five soccer reporters in the country, bar none. Who does ESPN have that covers soccer all the time as a reporter? Who does ABC have who covers soccer all the time as a reporter? Who does MLSnet have that covers soccer all the time as a reporter?

The only guy who even comes close is Connolly, and he's a feature guy more than a news guy like Goff. Bradley is a baseball writer. Stone is probably working on getting ready for the bowl games he's working the sideline. Wynalda isn't a reporter. And Palace is Kaiser Soze.

If you have such great sources, spill a little more. Otherwise, you could be making it up as far as I'm concerned. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened here.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... moderator's note ...

Lay off him. Of course it's a damned rumor. This is the F'ING RUMORS thread after all. Geez! C'mon!

7. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    ESPN=ABC=Soccernet.com- They are all the same company.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... moderator's note ...

First, as far as I'm concerned something being a rumor has nothing to do with knowledge per se. It has to do with evidence. You've stated something here without a single shred of evidence. That's cool. This is the rumors thread. But nothing you've posted here - no matter what you claim to know - is a fact.

Second, Bergin isn't all knowing. So just because he knows nothing of this doesn't mean it isn't possibly true.

Now let's just get back to rumor-mongering. OK?

9. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Re: ... moderator's note ...

Good point. I should have said I have it on extremely good faith.....

10. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    So unless one has a source listed here then it is total crap? True, I could be a lying sac o dog doo, but then what credibility would that give me the next time i pass out info? None. So wouldn't you question that someone such as myself would meke such a bold statement without having it be substantiated to some degree even if that degree is not available to all of you?

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I know the whole ESPN-ABC-Soccernet family thing.

2. Not having a source doesn't make you a liar, but it sure as hell increases the odds. Just because you say something happened on an Internet message board, why would I assume that it is the first in what will be a long list of revelations that will scoop people who cover the game for a living?

I've been around the news game long enough to know that if someone says they "heard something" and won't put give an inkling of who their source is, the odds are they are full of sh!t.

You may be the exception. But I'll continue to call shenanigans until there's something more than "two people wer ehired a week ago without the people who cover the team for a living even knowing they were candidates."

Forgive me for not taking someone who doesn't say who they are and won't say where they got information seriously.

12. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    You don't need a license to coach in the US. The link you have only lists all the different licenses available and what the criteria are for attaining them. Of course most of the college and pro coaching positions list a license usually as a pre-requisite for the job but you don't need one. As an aside, did Hudson have a USSF license? UEFA works much differently on the licensing and even youth coaches need a license. They have very much professionalized the job of coaching and probably to the betterment of soccer over there.

13. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I would think the names nowak and kubik would be license enough.

14. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    They would both easily qualify for waivers for a B on their playing experience alone. My only point is they are not required to be a coach in this country.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'll take that action.

If Nowak & Kubik are coaching the team on opening day, I will gladly buy you the beer, or root beer if you're not of age, of your choice.

If it isn't them, you owe me a beer of my choice.

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ender, I get your point. But what you don't know about Steve Goff is:
    --he's about #2 or #3 in "caps" (ie: journalists and the # of times they've covered US National Team matches).
    --Bruce Arena (the USMNT coach) used to coach DCU and still lives in NoVa. Though Goff hasn't admitted officially, there are a bunch of stories from Goff in which the info had ot have come from Arena.
    --Kevin Payne is the AEG executive that oversees both DCU and Chicago. Kevin Payne is the former DCU President and lives in NoVa and has his offices with DCU's. And Goff has good contacts with him.
    --Dave Sarachan (the Chicago head man) is a former DCU assistant and USMNT assistant who Goff has had a lot of contact with.

Normally you'd think that ESPN or ABC or a national/international outlet might be "bigger" than a local paper. But when it comes to soccer, Steve Goff probably has as good or better contacts (including stuff that isn't specific to DC United) with US Soccer. It's a mistake to view him as a "local" guy. And, as Sandon pointed out, Steve Goff will come on to BS and post info that the paper doesn't have space to publish or on breaking news.

17. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak & Kubik

As much as I hate the Fire and knowing what these two meant to that club, I hope that Ender's "rumor" is true. It could mean the return of attacking football to DC. I think Nowak could do wonders for Adu as well, given his ability to run at defenders. And Kubik was one hell of a defender.

18. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought that's exactly what he was doing, questioning why you would make such a bold statement without having it be substantiated.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

Annoyed. :mad:

First, Monster and Ender: Read the first post of this thread. I started this thread precisely so that we don't have the debate you've just had. Understood.

Second, this debate about who's got the bigger journalistic penis - let's just stop it right now.

Third, back to rumor-mongering.

20. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Sounds good, but you have to sit near me in either case. I am new to the area and my wife has drawn the line at the three games I took her to in september and august.

21. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Re: ... mod's note ...

Knave,
    we didn't mean to annoy you. I don't think either of us were putting down the other, but rather trying to see how well we could substantiate my "rumor" without comprimising my source. I think that monster and I are both ok here, I am with him anyway. By the way, bigger penis and my name have never been used in the same sentence. It must be my wondeful personality that got the girls ;-)

22. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    If you're one of the Gold members you probably already know who the coach is according to what I've heard about that forum. I know this has already been said but just because Chris hasn't heard anything doesn't mean it's not true.

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If it happened or was even rumored, then Chris would have at least some knowledge of it and would have posted something on it. That hasn't happened yet.

Chris admitted that even he didn't know that Nowak was in the running, but that seems to be because it was a quick announcement. The only other possibility is that DC kept everyone in the dark until they make the announcement. They could say that they're are a lot of candidates, but already know who the coach will be. That makes little sense if you want the coach to start molding his team and figuring out who he wants and who he wants to get rid of.

So, why would Nowak and Kubik be our choice over more experienced coaches, especially since neither has coached at the professional level. I find it hard to swallow that they would get because of their "potential" as coaches. They're plenty of other coaches who can develop youth that have have better credentails than those two. At best, I could see them as assistants.

And why would we want Kubik? Defense isn't one of our weaknesses.

Of course, this could all be a bluff by the team to cover up the real candidate. The decision will be made before Christmas and should come sooner than that.

24. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    God I really hope that the coach is named way before Christmas so I won't have to hear "the next coach is" rumors anymore. You all should be writer's for the National Enquirer. I find it very funny when grown men argue over rumors like a bunch of teenage girls.

25. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I just didn't know that about Goff. Just for the record, I never said anything bad about the man, in fact I said I knew nothing about him. But like Knave said, it's rumor until it's official. That's why we are on this thread.