The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part I

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Re: The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread

Actually, if he still has the wheels to play 90 (didn't see much of him this year so have no idea) he could be the solution to loosing Nellie in the formation you describe (with Gros in front of him to cover any speed issues). I always thought Goose was the one leading our old back line and I contend that is what Nellie did the best for us. I also think Petke can play Center, just that he isn't ready to lead yet.

Goose off the bench as a player-coach (maybe he can groom Petke for leadership?) wouldn't be bad either.

As much as I like the guy though, if he isn't up to a full 90 any more I don't think he would be worth it unless we fill all the other holes first and then have room for him at a low/offset salary.

-dave

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

I always thought it was Carlos that was the organizer back there. Look at how he stabilized Miami's and New England's back line.

3. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

Maybe you're right, it was just a damn good back line we had :)

Llamosa was my favorite player back then. The man was just a wall and clinically technical, but I never got the leadership part from him. That was also before I learned so much about footie though, so who knows.

As to his post United play. He has had moderate success, but I think he has developed more of a thugish aspect to his game (seems to pick up more yellows than I remember for late/rough tackles) than he used to have. Hopefully he finishes recovering this off season and is able to play some more next year.

-dave

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

I think that's more of a result of him slowing down than anything. He was never the fastest to begin with.

Me, too. He's class.

5. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999

If Soehn lands in CO, we've got an assistant coach spot to fill. I would think that Goose would make a good coach/player.

Tim

6. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

And the poster boy for the American dream too. Just hard to find a fault with him. "Rags" to "Riches", excellent skill, top class ... you can't ask for more.

-dave

7. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

He's even slower than he was...BUT, on the flipside, he is much more dangerous on free kicks and corners than he was when he was here - mainly because he's had the chance to take them regularly in SJ, which, for obvious reasons, he didn't do in DC.

I think Goose still has his house in Northern Virginia.

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Psst..We're talking about Llamosa.

9. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

Whoops...never mind.
    [​IMG]

10. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

Well before you and I highjacked it, we were talking about Goose :p

His comments do apply to that though, just used the wrong quote :D

-dave

11. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United

I would welcome either Jeff or Carlos..although i understand that Carlos has had dubious recovery from some injuries...
    I could break out the Agoos Jersey again :D

12. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would not be wise to trade for either Goose or Llamosa, unless the deal could be structured like Jaime's, i.e., incentives and last-minute roster decisions after a pre-season of trials.

Carlos missed the entire 04 season to injury, and many games in 03. Goose has a chronic calf problem, so you can count on him missing games to that injury.

GM

btw, my vote for best defender was Llamosa, mainly because he was relatively healthy during his period here.

13. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Since this is the rumours thread.....any word on Dema? Someone mentioned earlier that it is "possible" that he would be going back to Chicago, anything further on this?

14. united_fan_72

united_fan_72 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Pennsylvania

Let's hope not, he's a hot head, but a great great talent, we'd miss him severely.......
    In this off season I would love to see United go after one our American players currently playing abroad, I think John Thorrington would be a great fit in the midfield possibly to upgrade the spot left by Ernie Stewart

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Metros Release Fabian Taylor

I don't know, but some lucky MLS team has got to pick this guy up and give him real playing time. With the expanded rosters I have to wonder if we wouldn't like to get him.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Metros Release Fabian Taylor

How much playing time would he see here, though? I agree that some MLS team will snap him up. His upside is too good to pass up.

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Seems to me like he only had 15 good minutes all year long. Granted, they were against us, but still...

18. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

I think he would be at least worth bringing in to pre-season camp to see how he performs with our midfield. I love Jaime but he was dragging by the end when he played the full 90. If Taylor can perform well with us and his price tag isn't too high, he might make a good alternate for us. Defense is our biggest hole right now, but I would like a bit more depth up front.

-dave

19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News Alert: Christian Gomez Interview Posted

News Alert: Somebody has posted an interview that Christian Gomez gave to an Argentinian newspaper on the MLS News and Analysis page. It's in Spanish and only parts of it have been translated -- so, we need a translator here. Uh, I don't think that this is a job for Babelfish by the way. In the parts that have been translated, Gomez talks about American food, American futbol, compares Adu to Maradonna, and specifically mentions DCU supporter groups.

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: News Alert: Christian Gomez Interview Posted

I'll be right back....

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

If you do a translation (or even just translate highlights) then please post them in a new thread.

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Will do...

23. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000

Considering that behind Esky and Moreno we have only JH6's cousin and The Ghost of Santino Quaranta, Taylor would certainly be a guy who would be worth bringing into camp. In April we saw what kind of spark he can provide off the bench when he came on at halftime and ate Petke alive and drove a stake through Doug Warren's professional career.

However, he is by no means a consistent player, and it doesn't bode well for him that Bradley often chose Galvan Rey rather than him as a forward to come off the bench. That said, the Metros were beyond dysfunctional this year, and Taylor is only 24. He may be a complete head case, but it would be worth it to give him a change of scenery and a dose of Nowak to see if he can fulfill some of his goalscoring potential.

24. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

I don't know if the cost would be worth even looking at him. Based on previous deals, I would assume DCUnited would need to trade away another draft pick to gain the rights to Taylor just to bring him into camp. At least that was what happened with Moreno at the beginning of last season. Also, I believe Taylor was a "loan to buy" contract. At this moment, even if DCUnited doesn't do anything in the off-season trade-wise, they're going to be two slots short of the expanded roster. Losing another draft pick will make things that much worse. Also, if DCUnited decided to purchase him, then they would likely spend most if not all the remaining Convey Allocation money. That would put a definate crimp on the team going out and finding a defender, which you correctly point out is the most pressing need with Hedrickson and likely Nelsen leaving. Finally, and I'm guessing, he probably came into the league with a one year w/ option years attached on his contract. If he is to sign, again just guessing, his salary probably jumps in the option years. Losing a draft pick for his rights, spending any allocation money to buy him, and possibly having a hefty salary all leads me to think it would be a bad deal.

25. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

I agree, the price tag is the important part. You don't sell the house for a player that is likely to spend most of the season on the bench.

I thought the Moreno deal only kicked in if we picked him up and then he had performed to an undisclosed standard? Something similar for Taylor would be fine unless his salary is more than about $100k (which i'm sure it has to be).

Simply put, if we have to give up anything serious (cash, allocations, etc...) he isn't worth it IMHO.

-dave