The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part I

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Re: The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread

...and it's surprising too. I wonder how real this rumor is.

2. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

A rumor from two totally different sources, neither with the league, is that Namoff will train with Blackburn in the next couple of weeks. Apparently there's more than just training interest, but if and how that would be accomplished needs to be fleshed out.

Also, a couple of people have said that Namoff, Carroll, Eskandarian, and Gros will be given a late Xmas present. That present is an invite to the January National Team camp for exposure. None of the players are expected to become part of the National Team pool, but Arena wants them to feel what it is like playing at the next level.

Again, nothing but rumors, but in each case it's the same story from different sources.

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Namoff training with Blackburn is fine, it's not like he can get the permit for England for full-time work.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

I think Namoff is good enough to play for the likes of Blackburn, but there is no way that move would happen at this point as he has no caps to his name. Maybe if it was for a Dutch or German club, but not an English team.

As for the other bit, none of those selections are too surprising, they all had good seasons are young players that, barring injuries, will be around for the next decade or so. Of those 4, I think Namoff would have the best chance of making the move to the next level as all we got at right back is Heydude, Dolo, and Chris bleepin Albright. Bryan also is a converted attacking player, so he does have the skill to get up in the attack, but is also a very good defender.

5. Talion

Talion New Member

May 24, 2004
    VA

I don't think Esky should be listed with that group. It would be a pleasant surprise for Namoff, Carroll, and Gros to be called in, and if they are it will be as you say for "feel what it is like" so on and so forth. Eskandarian OTOH is already capped (yes I know it was dubious circumstances but still), a reliable source (Goff) claims he would have been on the Jamaica roster but for the MLS Cup, and when he couldn't do that he passed the time by being the MLS Cup MVP. On the MNT boards it has been taken for granted he'll be in camp and most people expect him to play in one or more friendlies before the hex. Where things go from there depends on your opinion of his talent and whether he fits into Bruce's offense, but I think at this point he should be considered to be part of the National Team pool, although not necessarily high on Bruce's list yet.

I still think Esky has an outside shot at getting into the MNT for WC 06. Arena likes target forwards and he's anything but, but against a strong defense we need someone who can bury something based on the smallest half-chance. But we'll see.

As for Carroll and Namoff I think they both need another solid MLS year to really start being considered, but both have a chance. Gros unfortunately is behind a bunch of very good young players in the left and right wing positions. Maybe there's some room at right wing, but I'm skeptical.

In hopes of making this post actually about DC United and not the MNT I will say that if I'm right about Esky's chances with the nats we could miss him a fair bit next season between callups and his ridiculous card-related suspensions. Combine that with Moreno likely missing time for injury and we need quality depth at forward besides "ehh maybe Tino will actually play this year"

6. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My thoughts exactly. D.C. United's priority needs are filling the hole left at centerback caused by the departures of Nelsen & Henderson and finding quality backups at forward. Back injuries are a funny thing & you never know how reliable a player will be again once he's suffered a serious back inury. Suppose Adu could fill in in a pinch, but until he gets bigger and stronger he's going to be more effective as an attacking midfielder.

8. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the airport welcoming the team home, Esky told me that he was supposed to be in Columbus if the team had lost in the conference finals. So Goff was correct, unless Esky felt like lying to me.

9. rebelzero

rebelzero Member

Jul 5, 2003
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, we do have a need for a RB (or at least someone to cover for Lucas Neill)... more of a need for a Central defender though. As sad as I may be to see Nelsen go, should he end up in blue & white halves, I for one will be overjoyed.

10. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Re: Curt Onalfo Candidate For Rapids Coach

I wonder if Chivas gave Onolfo a look - he's fluent in Spanish I think.

11. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT

Any info on what teams are looking at Nelsen? I know it's been said that 2 or 3 are in the premiership and 1 in the first division ("Championship") and another from Germany or somewhere, but are there team names associated?

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... a collection of rumors from USSoccerUK ...

The rumor in bold, which I doubt has legs, is probably most pertinent here.

14. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: Fire - RSL Trade For Selolwane

It hasn't been officially announced yet but it's in the Q&A section of Wahl's piece.

Further discussion: RSL Board, Chicago Board

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Fire - RSL Trade For Selolwane

Gracias...

17. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Re: ... a collection of rumors from USSoccerUK ...

That would be bad. The poor guy is probably so "tp-shocked" he'll go for cover every time LN start celebrating something :D

Good when he is on the other team, bad when he is defending our net :)

In reality, I hope you are right. I don't see us as being in a need for a "high" caliber keeper. Nicky is back, and Troy is more than capable as a replacement. If we pick up more keepers, they should be 3rd/4th string level as anything else is an insult to what Troy did for us this year (boy need another raise too).

-dave

18. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did you just say JWalker was a high caliber keeper? even Nick Sackoshitss said otherwise.

19. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

That would be why I added the quotes around it and I was basing that on his assumed pay check.

Any keeper dumb enough to dribble the ball in front of Jaime doesn't rate in my book (but damn it was good to watch :D).

-dave

20. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

The thing about a possible Walker trade though is that it implies- once again but this time from another source- that Rimando is trade bait.

Somethings abrewing and several teams are possibly involved (metro, Wiz, Fire, Chivas, United)

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

According to this article on MLSNet, Tommy Soehn is a finalist for the Rapids coaching vacancy.

Jeez.

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Hmmm, Tommy goes there, Marco comes here?

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I'd hate to see him leave this would be a great opportunity for him. I'd like to see more fresh blood in coaching positions in the league, for a while now its seemed like deck chair shuffling.

K

24. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

given marco's unease with english, do you think he's ready to coach a primarily english speaking team?

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Marco speaks his futbol in a couple of different languages. He would be great at coaching the young guns while Nowak ran the show.