The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part I

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Welcome to the second installment of the off-season near news and rumors thread.

Before posting on this thread please take a look at the following guidelines and the notes on thread organization.

The guidelines and notes will be modified and amended as needed. Indeed, the honest truth is that, like MLS, we make it up as we go.

• A Few Guidelines •

DC United Rumors Blog

This thread is a blog for DC United related rumor and gossip with a bit of light banter added in. Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind.

Near beer ain't really beer. Near news ain't really news. :: The tolerance of mere rumor on the DC United board is really fairly low (how many times have you read angry demands for a link?). But at the same time some of us like to read unsubstantiated rumor because it breaks up the boredom of the off-season and gives us something to bellyache about. So this thread has less restrictive standards than those generally agreed upon on the rest of the board. That way posters who want to post something unsourced or badly sourced have the opportunity to do that without inspiring the wraith of those who demand that anything posted here be verifiably true.

Be Concise :: If you’re interested in a rumor and want to have an in-depth discussion about it then please start a new thread. This isn’t a thread for analysis.

Keep Things in Proportion :: Let’s keep things in proportion. Don’t take what you read here too seriously. Once it appears in the established press, that’s when to take it seriously.

Focus On The Team Situation :: If there’s any chance a rumor is embarrassing to the team, a player, the coach or anyone else please run it by a moderator before posting. We’ve had some problems along these lines in the past and we’d like to avoid them in the future. So keep things focused on the team situation. We don’t need to delve into personal lives unless there’s a clear and direct team implication. Again, consult a mod if there’s any question.

Not all rumors belong here, but most do. :: While not every rumor needs its own thread (hence this thread), it's quite possible that a few actually do. Use your judgment to figure out which is which. If in doubt consult a mod. Also, if your “rumor” derives from an article in the Post, the Times or one of the other reputable soccer news websites then it's hard news – not rumor – and doesn’t belong here.

MLS News Blog

Second, this is also the only place on the DC United board for discussion of non-DC United related news.

Off-Topic MLS Discussion :: This thread will also serve as a repository for links to news on other boards and websites. There is a lot of interest in having a place on this board for broader MLS discussion, but the truth is we just can't have that here without losing our focus on DC United. This place simply isn't a general MLS board. However, on this thread we can sneak in a bit of general MLS discussion for those that want it. Just don’t tell revelation about this. He’ll freak if he finds out there’s off-topic discussion here. ;)

Be Concise, The Sequel :: Part of the reason people want a bit of general MLS discussion on this board is because they don't have much time, but still want to know about the latest trades and happenings around league. Please keep that in mind when posting here. Let's keep things pretty light and not overwhelm folks with lengthy analysis and opinion.

Linking To The Big Wide BigSoccer World :: Please link to threads on other boards for those that might want to follow up on the news and events.

• Thread Organization :: Notes for regulars and irregulars alike. •

This thread will cover a variety of wide ranging topics and have more than one discussion going on at once. To make it easier to navigate we (particularly the thread regulars) should try to maintain a few posting habits to take advantage of the board's new threading features. (Click "display mode" in the upper right to experiment with these features if you're not already familiar with them.)

Avoid Cryptic POST Titles :: When starting a new topic please make the post title very explicit and clear so that folks using the threading features can identity the topic of your post easily. See the examples below in the first couple posts.

One Topic Per Post :: Try to limit posts to a single topic to help maintain organization.

Use The Quick Reply to REPLY :: When replying to a post please use the "quick reply" box below or be sure to "quote" the post to which you're responding (and don't change the title from the default).

Use The Regular Reply Button to Start a New Topic :: You'll need to change the post title when starting a new topic. So use the regular reply button for that, or hit the "Go Advanced" button if you use the quick reply to gain access to the post title field.

By doing these things we'll be able to maintain some thread continuity more easily for those who don't follow this thread religiously. I know it sounds like a lot to do all this, but it's actually really simple and straightforward in practice.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Meola returning to the Metros?

A rumor posted in various places has Meola angling to return to the Metros. With Bo having a breakout season, Meola getting up there in age, and the Metros having both their keepers in the expansion draft, maybe this rumor has some legs.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151486

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Kreis to RSL

What about the Kreis to RSL trade? Is that still a rumor?

Will it be dissolved in two hours on TV?

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Kreis to RSL

Thanks, guys.

11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Re: The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread

Now that Walker made it through the expansion draft and is still with the metro, the whole Meola to NJ thing seems to be at least on hold. Trades could dtill happen of course.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
  14. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Re: Rights to Nelsen Protected

From what Diceson said it sounds like it was just to protect the allocation.

15. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

can i start up the DC Word Association Thread II?

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

After Thanksgiving.

17. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003

Your wish is apparently his command :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63575-2004Nov19.html

-dave

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

That guy's awesome. BTW, when did Ezra wear that 02-03 shirt? :confused:

19. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

That picture was taken during the Forest game (probably right after he scored). You can tell by the red jerseys in the background.

20. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis

I found it very interesting that Chivas did not pick a keeper. I also heard a rumor that Rimando might be heading back to LaLa land. Putting two and two together says that we trade Rimando to Chivas for some high picks in the draft. This could make sense as they will be pulling players from the Mexican league and don't need to rely on the superdraft as much as ReAL. The only thing that went against this yesterday is that we did not protect Troy after the 1st pick. However, there is a plethora of unhappy keepers right now after being exposed. I am torn on this one. The angel says that Nicky helped win us the title. The devil says that we can upgrade the keeper position. What do the rest of you think?

21. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am on the side of the devil here. I love Nicky for his emotion, courage, and athletic reaction. However, his positioning is suspect, his play on crosses is poor, and he is small. I think the day of the small keeper is rapidly slipping into the twilight.

On the Dema handball goal, a taller keeper would likely have gotten more of a touch on the ball.

22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli

Does anyone find it interesting that Rongen didn't select Q2? I wonder if that is Rongen's way of showing loyalty to DC United. While Q2 has never been fully accepted by the Salvadorans of DC (i.e. like hundredfires or RDA), I imagine that Cheyo would be another insult if he left for Chivas. Or is it the dislike between Mexicans and Salvadorans that kept Q2 in DC...

That's my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it... :)

Regardless, thanks Tom for leaving him here. I hope he punishes you greatly for it! :)

23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

I agree with you Lucifer. Look, I came out of my seat screaming when Rimando saved the last PK against New England. My son and I will never forget that game. However, in MLS Cup, Rimando let in his one "howler" goal on Burciaga's long range knuckler and his positioning on crosses was awful and his lack of height prevented him from controlling the box. Remember, in the NE game, the Revs scored the last goal when Rimando came off his line and whiffed on a clearance when a larger and bigger keeper might well have knocked the ball away. (I know it was shameful that the two players were unmarked, but given the lazy cross floated in and the lack of power on the header, Rimando, because of his size, would have been better off staying on his line and possibly punching the ball away.)

I'm not sure in Perkins is the long-term answer, but I agree that DCU should upgrade at keeper if possible. However, that position is not the primary concern -- central defense is.

24. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Any word on the postseason equipment sale?

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Maybe Rongen just didn't particularly like Q2. Ellinger didn't seem to think too much of him, either, and he only picked Ara, Williams and Brenes as his midfielders.